Smashing Pumpkins

MELLON COLLIE AND THE INFINITE SADNESS is being released in multiple physical and digital configurations, including an expanded 5CD+DVD Deluxe Box Set (also available digitally) and the remastered original album in 4LP Vinyl, 2CD, and digital formats. The Deluxe Box Set's 5 CDs include 64 bonus tracks of previously unreleased material or alternate versions of MELLON COLLIE era songs, and its DVD features a live show filmed at the Brixton Academy, London (1996) and bonus performances from the German music television show Rockpalast (1996). It all comes housed in a 12 x 12 lift-top box with magnetic closure, reimagined cover art and velvet-lined disc holder. The package includes 2 books containing personal notes, lyrics, new collage artwork, plus a Decoupage kit for creating your own scenes from the MELLON COLLIE universe. The bonus content and special features were curated from the band's archives by CORGAN, and have been painstakingly remastered for the first time from the original master tapes by Bob Ludwig.

Well, I'll be damned. It is gonna be a 4xLP.

What if you want the bonus CDs but have no interest in a fucking decoupage kit? Ridiculous. The nice thing about these sets so far was that they weren't stuffed with superfluous crap that artificially drove the price up - the 'Pisces Iscariot' cassette toed that line but was ultimately a nice relic. This is just overkill for no good reason. *sigh*

The forums are also reporting that the vinyl track list is going to stay true to the CDs, making the original pressing's running order unique.

The forums are also reporting that the vinyl track list is going to stay true to the CDs, making the original pressing's running order unique.

I'm okay with this, though I'd also be able to live with the original vinyl order had they chosen to go that route. I've tried the vinyl order myself a few times and it just never really felt right. Too used to the CD order. Maybe they were forced to re-order it to fit it on 2 LPs back in the day while the CD order was the "true order?" That would explain the need for 4 LPs to set things straight on the remaster. Stoked! And also glad I got my order in before the price hike!

Well, I'll be damned. It is gonna be a 4xLP.

What if you want the bonus CDs but have no interest in a fucking decoupage kit? Ridiculous. The nice thing about these sets so far was that they weren't stuffed with superfluous crap that artificially drove the price up - the 'Pisces Iscariot' cassette toed that line but was ultimately a nice relic. This is just overkill for no good reason. *sigh*

Link to said forums please.

that's just one guy's theory. although, it is a very sound theory, and what i've feared all along. there's a bit of hope, that there's enough really good stuff on the 3-cds to make one LP worth of expanded music, to make a fourth LP, with the original vinyl track listing. The reason the track listing was originally changed for the LP was that Billy felt that the cd track listing, broken up over 3 or 4 sides ruined the flow of the album. I like the way the cds are layed out for two individual groups of songs, but the vinyl is laid out perfectly for 6 groups of songs, but at the same time, I say why they'd want to just reissue the album "as people know it".

but i'm most pissed about the cd boxset being 12x12" and not uniform with the other CD-sized boxsets. the other boxsets could easily fit 6 cds. i'm sure it'll be nice, but i can't even put it on a shelf with the other boxes.

but i'm most pissed about the cd boxset being 12x12" and not uniform with the other CD-sized boxsets. the other boxsets could easily fit 6 cds. i'm sure it'll be nice, but i can't even put it on a shelf with the other boxes.

The extra packaging is also a large chunk of the price increase I'd imagine. He's gone and priced me right out of this set - if I didn't want to pay $45 for the original 3xLP back in the day, I certainly don't want to pay $130 for a decoupaged CD set or $90 for a needless fourth LP. (Yes, I realize that those are list prices and there will be discounts but not down to what the package should have cost without all this extra crap.)

incase anyone's wondering, this is the uncut setlist for the show being featured on the DVD.

Set 1: Tonight, Tonight

In the Arms of Sleep

Cupid de Locke

Thirty-three

Rocket

Soma

Take Me Down

Beautiful

Muzzle

Set 2:

Where Boys Fear to Tread

Zero

Fuck You

Here Is No Why

To Forgive

Today

Thru the Eyes of Ruby

Porcelina of the Vast Oceans

> Rocket (tease)

Bodies

Boys Don't Cry [Cure] (tease)

Disarm

Bullet with Butterfly Wings

Cherub Rock

Encore 1:

Firestarter [Prodigy] (tease)

X.Y.U.

Encore 2:

Mayonaise

Encore 3:

Jellybelly

Silverfuck

> Space Jam (tease)

Farewell and Goodnight

I don't think spreading the LP out over 4 LPs is a bad thing at all. The original pressing sounded a bit cramped. It will be nice to really maximize the side real estate. Sound quality speaking. I think the revised track listing was done so that the album would fit onto 3 LPs.

The original LP track listing was an artistic decision to take advantage of splitting it up over six sides, giving each side a similar feel. The CD running order fits perfectly fine on three LPs - four sides get five songs, two get four - averaging 17-20 minutes a side.

As far as the DVD, Superdeluxeedition is reporting only 10 songs (!!!!) from the Brixton show will be on the DVD. Seriously?

http://www.superdeluxeedition.com/news/smashing-pumpkins-mellon-collie-six-disc-deluxe-set-on-the-way/

you'd rather amazon charge you now? you know you can cancel a preorder any time, right?

yah, i don't have a ton of money, so i have to manage it just right when i make a big buy.

when i go to buy something it's because i'm in the position to spend the money at that time.

i can't tell you how many times i've preordered something from them, and then wound up being a few bucks short at the time of billing.

actually i can, 2 times. happened with the siamese dream reissue actually.

also, farewell and goodnight was cute as hell live.