So this shit is what its come to...

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hah, that's fair enough. I can relate to the frustration, but really... this is pretty much the norm on eBay these days. I admire the few label-owners who've stepped in - in the past - and canceled these flipper's orders prematurely. Though there are so many factors involved with that, it's a bit of rarity.

Anything to make a quick buck, I guess.

People flipping records before having them in hand is just as bad as labels repressing them. The labels do it to take advantage of the demand. So do the flippers...

The labels also take your money (most of the time now) before they have them in hand too.

Capitalism at it's finest. "Don't hate the player".

Ebay is a joke now anyhow. It used to be an auction site and now it's just a graveyard for overpriced items set at BIN. Just a community controlled Amazon.

P.S. I don't flip records but think it's funny that people actually pay some of those crazy prices.

If there is demand then the label should repress or keep the record in print. Why is it an abstract concept to so many that music should be readily available if there is enough interest in it? I'm sorry if your first press /100 with the super limited friends press tour cover is suddenly worth less but it's nice that someone else can hear the music in the format of their choice.

Completely. If not, tell me why the Sublime LP's are suddenly being repressed.

They are both doing it to fill demand, but they are not done in the same manner or for the same reasons. Labels paid for the band to record their album and paid for the production of the physical product. They took a chance on a band and helped to further their careers. A person that is flipping records is just looking to make a quick buck. They provide no value addition or help the band. They are attempting to poach off the ignorant.

If there is demand then the label should repress or keep the record in print. Why is it an abstract concept to so many that music should be readily available if there is enough interest in it? I'm sorry if your first press /100 with the super limited friends press tour cover is suddenly worth less but it's nice that someone else can hear the music in the format of their choice.

i like this guy.

Completely. If not, tell me why the Sublime LP's are suddenly being repressed.

Obviously represses happen due to there being a demand for a record. Saying its bad for labels to repress their albums is just dumb. Its a record labels job to make their band's releases available to anyone who wants them. Record labels are businesses, they need to make some money to keep putting out new records and if they have something in their catalog that can help them make more money then they should probably repress it.

True, but to think that labels (and/or) flippers are doing it to only spread the good word of music is asinine.

Labels are a business (for the most part). Sure there are some that repress records because nobody else will, but most repress them to make more money. If it was already pressed, then most of the work is already done. AKA higher profit margin.

Greed is even more apparent when the represses are in a multitude of colors. See every A3 repress.

People flipping records before having them in hand is just as bad as labels repressing them. The labels do it to take advantage of the demand.

I like being able to buy a new record from a label for $15 without having to track down a 15 year old copy for $50+.

I don't get you point about repressing an out of print record that people want.

True, but to think that labels (and/or) flippers are doing it to only spread the good word of music is asinine.

Labels are a business (for the most part). Sure there are some that repress records because nobody else will, but most repress them to make more money. If it was already pressed, then most of the work is already done. AKA higher profit margin.

Greed is even more apparent when the represses are in a multitude of colors. See every A3 repress.

No one said it was to spread the good word of music. Of course labels want people to hear their bands but they are in the business of selling records. If you pres some and run out...press more! Its not taking advantage of anyone. Its doing your job.

Again, the pressing of multiple colors helps labels sell more records to make more money to continue putting out more releases. This isnt greedy. We're talking about a business here which was set up to release records and make money. Represses/multiple colors of vinyl help with that.

No one said it was to spread the good word of music. Of course labels want people to hear their bands but they are in the business of selling records. If you pres some and run out...press more! Its not taking advantage of anyone. Its doing your job.

When did the original pressings of Sublime LP's run out?

When did the represses happen?

Coincidence?

And by that logic, why do some labels do limited runs in the first place? If the 221 colored copies of Dead to Me sell out in 10 minutes, why not press more?