How do you earn that vinyl ca$h?

Assistant manager at Hot Topic, and I do substitute teaching on the side for extra cash. I can sub like 4 days out of a month and pay my rent with that.

That history degree really paid off, haha.

my mom used to sub and would make over $100 a day. now she took a full-time library aide position at the elementary school (she has a degree in elementary library science), and is making $4 less an hour doing that, but she has benefits now.

but seriously if i had free days and didn't need benefits, subbing is a pretty good way to pick and choose when you work and making more than minimum wage.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nuclear Plant Maintenance- I travel to Nuclear and industrial sites around the US, and fix broken valves.

That's pretty unusual/interesting job... How did you get into that?

Well honestly, just kinda lucked into it through a friend. I have a background in Plumbing and mechanical work, and a friend told me that he had no training and they trained him to do the job, and that if he could get hired I would definitely get the job. I get paid 22 and hour plus 55 a day per diem, get my travel and lodging paid for, its awesome.

this is a cool thread. all of a sudden, everyone seems human.

i teach kindergarten special education in an inner city. first year teaching after finishing my master's. records are a necessity for sanity. my girlfriend is about to finish up her master's too, which should be way more valuable than mine... i might get to hop on that sugar mama train soon too!

Currently work in a screen printing shop run by two of my older friends so the job is always there after tours/travel times and it is super laid back. I can show up late/hungover, listen to music all day and take off any day I want. Plus, I really love printing now and my band's merch is now dirt cheap.

I'm also a full time student but I don't really do much work there.

Dream job is stay at home dad. The girlfriend goes into a very specific masters program in the fall leading to a specific (well paid) job. Hoping to lock this down soon.

Assistant manager at Hot Topic, and I do substitute teaching on the side for extra cash. I can sub like 4 days out of a month and pay my rent with that.

That history degree really paid off, haha.

my mom used to sub and would make over $100 a day. now she took a full-time library aide position at the elementary school (she has a degree in elementary library science), and is making $4 less an hour doing that, but she has benefits now.

but seriously if i had free days and didn't need benefits, subbing is a pretty good way to pick and choose when you work and making more than minimum wage.

For someone that is low-cost, subbing is great. You can easily rack up a months' bills pay in a single pay period. It seems like schools are always dying for subs unless you live in a small town.

Two Jobs:

Line Cook at a Bar/Grill called The Press grill in the Short North (10$ hour) and Delivery Driver on OSU Campus for a place Called Raising Canes (8.50$/hr base pay plus tips). I work anywhere from 30-50 hours a week. Needless to say, whatever excess cash I can scrounge up goes to vinyl.

For someone that is low-cost, subbing is great. You can easily rack up a months' bills pay in a single pay period. It seems like schools are always dying for subs unless you live in a small town.

very true. now her school district is using some contractor to do the sub hiring. pretty weird.

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2011/08/susquehanna_township_school_bo_5.html

very true. now her school district is using some contractor to do the sub hiring. pretty weird.

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2011/08/susquehanna_township_school_bo_5.html

My wife is a sub and makes over $250/day....Crazy how much more Canadian teachers make compared to the US.

Attorney for a federal agency. I have two sons under four. Daycare is like having a second mortgage and usually puts the mental brakes on frivolous spending (but not always).

being an attorney for the government is great for people with kids. i hear that alllll the time from the attorneys i work with. they can leave early to pick them up from school or take them to the doctors, etc.. definitely less pay than in private practice, but it's a worthwhile trade-off, imo.

Attorney for a federal agency. I have two sons under four. Daycare is like having a second mortgage and usually puts the mental brakes on frivolous spending (but not always).

being an attorney for the government is great for people with kids. i hear that alllll the time from the attorneys i work with. they can leave early to pick them up from school or take them to the doctors, etc.. definitely less pay than in private practice, but it's a worthwhile trade-off, imo.

Absolutely, and I work at home full-time. I still work 50-60 hours a week, but it's generally on my own schedule. IMHO, the quality of life difference far outweighs the financial gap between public service and being in private practice.

Absolutely, and I work at home full-time. I still work 50-60 hours a week, but it's generally on my own schedule. IMHO, the quality of life difference far outweighs the financial gap between public service and being in private practice.

hi jordan, i didn't know you posted here!

my husband works at a smallish (about 100 attorneys) firm so, while i'm sure he doesn't dictate his schedule as much as you probably can, it's pretty loose. he's been able to take time off during the day to watch hockey scrimmages at the training facility, run errands, have lunch with me whenever i'm in the area, go to the pediatrician with me and the kid... it'd be nice to have more monie$ from a bigger firm, but this does work out nicely. on the flipside, he has a certain number of hours to meet so if he takes off during the day, he goes in super early and comes home a bit later than normal, but about 95% of the time we're able to have dinner together as a family rather than him toiling away in the office until everyone else at home is asleep like some of his friends.

I over-generalized there about private practice, you got me :) However, I will never forget that first year out of law school where a close friend of mine working a large firm got sent on a six month document review project in Hartford, Conn. and they didn't allow him to stay weekends. So every week for six months he flew up to Hartford early Monday morning, back to DC Friday night, worked at the firm's DC office Saturdays and most of the time got Sundays off. Professional hazing...

I over-generalized there about private practice, you got me :) However, I will never forget that first year out of law school where a close friend of mine working a large firm got sent on a six month document review project in Hartford, Conn. and they didn't allow him to stay weekends. So every week for six months he flew up to Hartford early Monday morning, back to DC Friday night, worked at the firm's DC office Saturdays and most of the time got Sundays off. Professional hazing...

lol. to be fair, i think the generalization is more the norm than my husband's experience. :)

it's also a time management thing with some people in private practice because there are some people at his firm who come in after 9am and then stay pretty late (after 9pm). my husband goes in around 6am so he can get home for dinner and to have a few hours with the kiddo. one of his co-worker friends would be there and not get home until just before the kids went down so he'd see them for a couple minutes.

but ya, those large firms can really be soul sucking right from the get go. not quite as extreme as your friend went through but a couple of my husband's classmates who graduated at the top of their class and then got nice high paying jobs at the huge firms in downtown LA would practically sleep in their offices. bummer city.

I work for Australia's most awarded ice cream producer. I make all their specialty products. When I've finished my orders I go back to packing thousands of tubs of ice cream.

Despite earning 20k per year less than my previous job, I still like it. I get paid overtime, don't work nights or weekends, and get as much ice cream as I can carry.