How do you earn that vinyl ca$h?

Just curious as to what all of you do for a living/to support your habit. Are you living your dreams, or did you sell out to the fuckin' man?

Me, the latter. i'm an engineer at the utility company here. Worked here about a year and a half.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am a caption assistant at CapTel. You might have seen the commercials for the CapTel phone where the grandma is talking to her grandson and a doctor or something? Well, my job is to make sure those words appear on the screen of that phone. Most people seem to think this process is handled by some magic computer, so you can imagine maybe how fun it can be to attempt to take care of that.

I am a caption assistant at CapTel. You might have seen the commercials for the CapTel phone where the grandma is talking to her grandson and a doctor or something? Well, my job is to make sure those words appear on the screen of that phone. Most people seem to think this process is handled by some magic computer, so you can imagine maybe how fun it can be to attempt to take care of that.

You already won whatever contest this is.

Although, I've taking a lot of time off lately because its been super grating lately to go. However, I'm training today to become a coach for new employees. I get to sit behind new people and tell them how bad they are at their job! Its a dream come true!

have a degree in fine/studio art with a concentration in painting, and i'm a legal assistant at the dept of revenue. basically, i babysit lawyers all day and go insane working my ass off cuz the state won't fill positions. good benefits, though.\

trying to save for a house so i don't buy nearly as many records as most people here.

Currently I'm a dispatcher for AAA. It pays shit. I'm currently doing an unpaid internship for a company that sells back-up and network storage to large corporations and such, and will finally graduate in the spring. I'm told I'll either get a job with them or with one of their clients, but the more IT work I do the more I hate it so I don't know what's next for me.

I work at an advertising agency doing media research, planning, and buying. Yippee. Basically i am responsible for putting the ads in front of the right people. Been doing this for the last 7 or 8 years now.

I was also unemployed for half of 2009 and during that time i made more money buying and selling records than i did from unemployment. that was a weird time.

drilling engineer for an underground storage company

**tl:dr version**

I studied Petroleum Engineering and had shitty grades like a 2.7 once graduating. Graduated in 2009 when the oil industry was taking a nose dive since Novemberish of 2008. Looked for a job since Sept of 2008 working my ass off everyday to find something. Finally worked for free for like 4 months after graduating at a oilfield service company and drained all the money I had driving to and from work. Was living with my parents and finally started getting paid like $10/hr. Around November of 2009 I interviewed with the company I am at now and been there since.

I am a drilling engineer for an underground gas storage company. Actually I have been working in the Chicago area for like 3 months for ~380hrs/month, I am paid salary so it sucks. Typically I work in the office and go to the field a few times a month.

Actually been there two years now but looking for a new job, mainly due to a crazy boss who back in Aug blew up on a co-worker and broke a door and some shit off the wall and it is damn near impossible for me, a nerd and quiet(reclusive) person, to answer to someone like that, I am underpaid like 20k from what starting salary avg. was 2yrs ago in my profession, do get to go to the field but boss does little to any training or development or give a shit, and also because I am such a hard worker and bust my ass all day every day (when in Chicago we work straight 20days or so, some 12-16hr days then off for like 4 days), and my boss gave me a letter about a month ago that I was on probation to be fired...

Worked in a tool shop over the summer where everyone hated me because I was 20. Only got the job because my dad knew the owner's son, who was a complete dick. Spent probably 50 bucks a week on records when I had that job. I'm back in school now and unemployed, so I make money off of internet bullshit like Swagbucks and Amazon Mechanical Turk. I probably get ~$100 a month from that, so it's not too bad for just records and other assorted bullshit.

Oh, and if anyone wants to do Swagbucks, hit me up with a PM and I can give you my referral and teach you how to cheat the system for an easy $25 in Amazon gift cards a month

Third grade teacher. I make my kids listen to music they wouldn't hear. I was blasting the Sword yesterday and we sing songs by the Flaming Lips and Personal and the Pizzas.

I can only buy records because I have a sugarmama who makes a lot more money

than I do. At least I get those summers.