Dan Andriano (alk3) / Mike Felumlee split 12"

How is there no one commenting on the album art for this thing? That has to be some of the worst covert art I've ever seen. Hideous. It's seriously awful.

I don't hate it, but I've definitely grown fond of the original artwork over the years. I would have preferred that test pressing art, though, that's for sure.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the original files for the artwork have been lost in the shuffle over the past 9 years, so we had 3 options:

1. say "fuck it" and blow the picture up to LP size and have it be all pixelated and gross looking.

2. do something like this:

[image]

3. make entirely new artwork

hopefully when you see it in person (and not just some 600 x 600 pixel picture online) you'll catch a few of the details that are on it. no to mention all of the work that went into the digital download booklet, and everything else involved.

also, if this is some of the worst cover art you've ever seen, you haven't seen very many album covers. but hey, thanks for stopping by!

Honestly, while the art isn't the best in the most technical sense, I really like it a lot. I've liked it ever since it was just in Dan's signature and not attached to the record - there's a really cool quality to it that I dig - I'm a sucker for anything involving a night skyline and a huge moon. There's a something relatable about the guy sitting in the window (presumably listening to music) as he stares out at the streets below. TL;DR I guess...it's good stuff.

Honestly, while the art isn't the best in the most technical sense, I really like it a lot. I've liked it ever since it was just in Dan's signature and not attached to the record - there's a really cool quality to it that I dig - I'm a sucker for anything involving a night skyline and a huge moon. There's a something relatable about the guy sitting in the window (presumably listening to music) as he stares out at the streets below. TL;DR I guess...it's good stuff.

while people are commenting, my only complaint is that it looks like a dan andriano record (e.g., it's presumably dan on the cover, clearly inspired by a dan song, etc.), not a dan andriano, mike felumlee split.

on the plus side, it's probably makes more marketing sense to emphasize dan's contribution, and that means more people will hear mike's awesome songs

my only complaint is that it looks like a dan andriano record (e.g., it's presumably dan on the cover, clearly inspired by a dan song, etc.), not a dan andriano, mike felumlee split.

for what it's worth, the cover image is equal parts dan-inspired ("spitting out a lucky smoke ring around the moon" from Lucky Smoke Rings) and mike-inspired ("i'll stare out my bedroom window" from Something Better). the alkaline trio poster on the right is countered with the mike felumlee poster on the left.

there was certainly a conscious effort not to make this a release by

DAN ANDRIANO OF ALKALINE TRIO featuring mike felumlee

of course, since dan is currently the bigger name of the two, he's going to attract more attention than mike. there's not a whole lot i can do about that. but there was definitely a lot of thought put into the cover art.

matt, thanks for the heads up! i'll definitely keep that in mind if i ever re-release anything in the future. the next few releases i have lined up are all new material, though, so for now it won't be an issue.

WHERE'S MY DOWNLOAD CODE?

Great job on the test covers man, they look incredible.

Thanks dude!

It's pretty neat cause I'm gonna number mine in purple marker #0/17 and then sell it back to Dan for $250. Gonna be so sweet.

(But, I haven't got mine yet, so maybe I should hold out on this plan.)

Also, this is front page on Interpunk! Sweet!

it's funny you mention that, because i already had to change up the way i'm numbering the test pressing covers. initially i thought i was going to use a silver sharpie, but that wasn't showing up on the dark blue mat board we used. so instead, i had to switch to a gold sharpie poster paint pen. still looks awesome (i texted you a closeup pic of the numbering on the copy i gave to dan), just different than what i had originally planned. eBay gold 1/1.

also, your download code is in the jacket. along with the insert. trust me. it's in there.

for real. keep looking. i promise it's in there. i personally stuffed all 1,000.

not sure what the deal is with the banquet emails, since there has been literally ZERO communication between us about this record. interpunk is definitely getting copies, though.

and yeah, the record is sold out! i think i just found a few boxes i forgot about in storage, though. they'll be on ebay for $150 each soon.

hell if I knew if the system you were using was different than Reckless' system, where it doesn't update on the website until midnight.

I'd even be surprised at that. There's records they've sold in the shop that have continued to be on the site for at least a week. And so ends the story of me missing that super cool Replacements bootleg....