Best/Worst Show(s) You've Been To

God so many.

One really good one was seeing Fall Out Boy between Take This To Your Grave and My Heart Will Always Be... at Knight of Columbus (Where the dead on arrival video was shot). They played on the floor with a couple people standing in front of the amps to stop them from getting knocked over. The "headliner" was June right after they have switched from Drive Like June. But the day of the show June said there was a "secret band" playing after them. So I went and got lucky.

Best in terms of lineup: (in chronological order)

Green Day/The Get Up Kids

Blink-182/New Found Glory/Alkaline Trio

Blink-182/Green Day/Saves The Day

Reel Big Fish/The Starting Line/The Kicks

The Cure/Thursday/Interpol/Muse/Mogwai/Auf Der Maur/The Rapture/Cooper Temple Clause

Bruce Springsteen/REM/Bright Eyes (Fuck your politics, if you missed this show, you were a goddamned fool)

Say Anything/mewithoutyou/Piebald/Forgive Durden

They Might Be Giants/Corn Mo (in Cleveland)

The Gaslight Anthem/The Menzingers/Fake Problems

Best Shows overall:

Kiss/Nixons - 1996 Reunion Tour (first show)

Fall Out Boy/New Found Glory/The Early November/PErmanent Me

The Music Tapes/Nana Grisol/Brian DeWitt

The Gaslight Anthem/Heartless Bastards/Good Old War

Alkaline Trio/Saves The Day/Death In The Park (second night)

The Gaslight Anthem/The Constantines Lolla aftershow

Manic Street Preachers/Bear Hands twice in '09 (even though Bear Hands ranks as one of the worst acts I've ever seen.)

New Found Glory (we got there late and didn't see any openers) at the Emerson Theater in Indianapolis. I got kicked in the face, and still went right back up front.

Any Hold Steady show.

Jello Biafra and the Guantanamo School Of Medicine (missed Articles of Faith)

NoMeansNo

Dave Hause/Mikey Erg/Ian Graham (@ Asbury Lanes)

I'm done looking.

Damn. Good call with TMBG. I finally saw them for the first time a few months back at the Vic. They put on a fucking awesome show. Got a signed copy of Join Us from it, too!

That Cleveland show in '07 was the one at the Beachland Ballroom where TMBfuckingG blew a fuse in the place the first song in (because they rocked the fuck out of the place that hard). So while the venue was crounging for a fuse at 10:30 at night, they did an unmic-ed, acoustic set. It was fucking glorious.

And if you haven't seen Corn Mo... See Corn Mo if you ever get a chance. Just do it.

Best:

Smiths at Hollywood Palladium- Meat is Murder Tour- Morrissey grinned down at me as I screamed for help while being crushed by the mob. Okay, best and worst.

GWAR in Tijuana- Later covered in "blood" and walking around TJ looking for beers.

The Cult - Love Tour and also the Electric tour where we hung out with Jaime, the bassist, and dropped at KNott's Berryfarm(scary)

Murder City Devils at Bottom of the Hill SF

The Ramones- Lucky I was there

The Cramps- Obviously fucking amazing

Explosions in the Sky at Bottom of the Hill and Cafe Dunord SF

OFF! at Gilman

Sigur Ros- 3 times

Guns and Roses opening for Cheap Trick at a dirty punk rock club in Long Beach called Fender's

Lords of the New Church at Fenders. Stiv was climbing on the tower speakers and almost toppled them on the crowd.

The Reatards at teh Hemlock in SF. Jay going nuts smashing glasses on the stage and then stealing my gal's purse and wearing it around his neck for a couple songs. She almost kicked his ass. We ended up drinking and smoking with the band after the show.

Surpisingly BAD shows:

Cocteau Twins- Elizabeth Frazier was singing like she had zero monitors or maybe it's all studio trickery. We walked out and I loved this band.

Radiohead- One of the most boring shows I have ever been to.

New Order- Strangely boring, but glad I was there.

Sublime- I used to see them all of the time playing with friends' bands and I always hated them. After I listened to their ST, I changed my mind. Of course by then it was too late.

Riverboat Gamblers at Call the Office in London. They played a show after Propagandhi played a larger venue the same night, and RBG were on an off night of their Rancid tour.

There were about 30 people watching RBG, and they were playing like there was 5,000 people there. Such a great club band.

After Leatherface, Hot Water Music and Panthro UK United 13 played in Atlanta in 1998 (?) Frankie Stubbs had an after party for folks traveling with show at the old C-11 warehouse. Frankie and his guitar played acoustic for about 2 hours. Anything from Leatherface to U2 covers, he belted them out with no amplifier as far as I remember - just his voice and his guitar. There were maybe 30-40 folks there and it is one of the best nights of my life.

Oh I remember another one, Beloved with BTBAM at the late Embassy Hotel. During the beloved set there was only like me, my 6 friends, maybe a couple other people. Everyone left and came back to see BTBAM. I didn't stick around for BTBAM, I was satisfied that Beloved essentially played a set for just me and my friends, plus I never really dug BTBAM.

Riverboat Gamblers are probably my favorite live band as far as energy and craziness go....but the only time I saw them during SXSW (while awesome) the rest of the show just kinda blah....off with their heads played before them, and I find them incredibly boring (yeah yeah, bring on the hate, saw 'em open for AM! in Huntsville, AL and thought the exact same thing again...no clue why so many people are into that band)

I'd love to see Riverboat Gamblers again, especially with awesome opening bands

Oh I remember another one, Beloved with BTBAM at the late Embassy Hotel. During the beloved set there was only like me, my 6 friends, maybe a couple other people. Everyone left and came back to see BTBAM. I didn't stick around for BTBAM, I was satisfied that Beloved essentially played a set for just me and my friends, plus I never really dug BTBAM.

I miss that shithole embassy! I saw a TON of bands there.

After Leatherface, Hot Water Music and Panthro UK United 13 played in Atlanta in 1998 (?) Frankie Stubbs had an after party for folks traveling with show at the old C-11 warehouse. Frankie and his guitar played acoustic for about 2 hours. Anything from Leatherface to U2 covers, he belted them out with no amplifier as far as I remember - just his voice and his guitar. There were maybe 30-40 folks there and it is one of the best nights of my life.

Awesome story, Dave! Frankie and the boys came out drinking with us when they were touring Ontario a few years ago. He has some of the best stories, and is such a nice guy.

Iron Maiden in 08 for the Somewhere back in time tour,

every single song was a hit and amazing. hearing Bruce Dickinson do Rime of the Ancient Mariner was killer. and i absolutely lost my shit hearing Hallowed be thy name for the first time. amazing show.

Slayer/Children of Bodom/Lamb of God/Mastodon

Right around the time all three of the support started blowing up. all of them played really killer. got elbowed in the face going for a drumstick from Children of Bodoms drummer.

Worst show just for pain was probably Deicide. show was awesome and great. but at the last moment Steve Asheim threw a drumstick and it went over my head and i made a jumping grab for it. then some giant dude tackled me and broke three of my ribs. hooo shit that was painful.

The Hives/The Donnas

Ahh I forgot to add this to my list as well. The Hives are incredible. I saw them at the Agora in Cleveland (when they put on good shows) on this tour. This one is up there for sure.

I remember seeing Bright Eyes right when Lifted came out in Pittsburgh at some small venue. Tilly And The Wall opened for them

Interpol was really good when they played the Agora as well.

Another really good show was Since By Man, Bearvsshark, and Fall of Troy

Minus The Bear with These Arms Are Snakes was a good one as well

Hot Rod Circuit's reunion show was good

Best show I ever went to was Queens of the stone age this year on their secret self titled tour in March. The reason why it was the best was because I got to meet and talk to josh homme. He was kind enough to sign my kyuss welcome to sky valley vinyl (Which I later got signed by all of the rest of kyuss and framed it). The show was amazing they played over 22 songs if i remember correctly. They played all of their first self titled record and then sprinkled in songs from all the other albums. There was tons of improv. and they also played my favorite queens song the fun machine took a shit and died and a few other rarities. And in the end a dude gave me a live recording of the entire concert. It could not have gone any better.

[image]

Worst show? I guess just tesseract. I was so let down that they switched vocalist lately. He sucks beyond belief, but the music was so good. But animals as leaders and btbam made up for it easily. I cant really think of a worst show off the top of my head I guess.

Best show I ever went to was Queens of the stone age this year on their secret self titled tour in March. The reason why it was the best was because I got to meet and talk to josh homme. He was kind enough to sign my kyuss welcome to sky valley vinyl (Which I later got signed by all of the rest of kyuss and framed it). The show was amazing they played over 22 songs if i remember correctly. They played all of their first self titled record and then sprinkled in songs from all the other albums. There was tons of improv. and they also played my favorite queens song the fun machine took a shit and died and a few other rarities. And in the end a dude gave me a live recording of the entire concert. It could not have gone any better.

[image]

Worst show? I guess just tesseract. I was so let down that they switched vocalist lately. He sucks beyond belief, but the music was so good. But animals as leaders and btbam made up for it easily. I cant really think of a worst show off the top of my head I guess.

So lucky you got to meet him.

That band tesseact reminds me of sikth a lot. Maybe that's why i can't get into them

Iron Maiden in 08 for the Somewhere back in time tour,

every single song was a hit and amazing. hearing Bruce Dickinson do Rime of the Ancient Mariner was killer. and i absolutely lost my shit hearing Hallowed be thy name for the first time. amazing show.

Slayer/Children of Bodom/Lamb of God/Mastodon

Right around the time all three of the support started blowing up. all of them played really killer. got elbowed in the face going for a drumstick from Children of Bodoms drummer.

Worst show just for pain was probably Deicide. show was awesome and great. but at the last moment Steve Asheim threw a drumstick and it went over my head and i made a jumping grab for it. then some giant dude tackled me and broke three of my ribs. hooo shit that was painful.

Fuck, man. I was supposed to go to see iron maiden on that tour with my friend, but he bitched out and sold the tickets at the last moment. Seeing hallowed By thy name must have been fucking great too! that's one of the first songs i ever learned on guitar, haha

Best in terms of lineup: (in chronological order)

Blink-182/Green Day/Saves The Day

Reel Big Fish/The Starting Line/The Kicks

The Cure/Thursday/Interpol/Muse/Mogwai/Auf Der Maur/The Rapture/Cooper Temple Clause

Bruce Springsteen/REM/Bright Eyes (Fuck your politics, if you missed this show, you were a goddamned fool)

Say Anything/mewithoutyou/Piebald/Forgive Durden

Best Shows overall:

Kiss/Nixons - 1996 Reunion Tour (first show)

Fall Out Boy/New Found Glory/The Early November/PErmanent Me

The Music Tapes/Nana Grisol/Brian DeWitt

The Gaslight Anthem/Heartless Bastards/Good Old War

Alkaline Trio/Saves The Day/Death In The Park (second night)

The Gaslight Anthem/The Constantines Lolla aftershow

Manic Street Preachers/Bear Hands twice in '09 (even though Bear Hands ranks as one of the worst acts I've ever seen.)

New Found Glory (we got there late and didn't see any openers) at the Emerson Theater in Indianapolis. I got kicked in the face, and still went right back up front.

Any Hold Steady show.

Jello Biafra and the Guantanamo School Of Medicine (missed Articles of Faith)

NoMeansNo

Dave Hause/Mikey Erg/Ian Graham (@ Asbury Lanes)

I'm done looking.

What year was the Green Day/Get Up Kids, im from UK and in the last ten years they never toured together over here :(

2001, when Green Day was touring for Warning. It was my first time seeing either of them, and ever since that show, the Get Up Kids have bored the hell out of me. So much so that when they played with Saves The Day last year, we went to the venue's restaurant and ate while TGUK played. Skipped 'em entirely.

Saw 'em then, on the reunion tour in '09 (which was fine), and then after There Are Rules came out, and I almost fell asleep during that one. Decided to never again. but Saves The Day were on their shit that night. Awesome set.

BEST:

Bright Eyes, Cursive, Desaparecidos and more in Omaha two summers ago.

Bright Eyes in Toronto on the last tour. Just the best performance I've ever seen.

Lawrence Arms 10th Anniversary show in Chicago. I've never been that stoked to see a band play for that long. I gave up the Fest that year to go to that show and don't regret it for a second.

The Menzingers at FEST 9. They played at the Venue, everyone flooded the stage for A Lesson, all around just an amazing set.

Hot Water Music in London Ontario this past spring (?). Descendents were playing in Toronto that night so the show was under attended but it made it 100x better in my opinion.

La Dispute/Balance and Composure/Make Do and Mend in Toronto this past June I want to say? Regardless, such a perfect bill, everyone sounded amazing.

FEST 7. Got a plane ticket for my 18th birthday and had probably the best weekend of my life. First time I saw Iron Chic (who played at the kickstand by the way) and The Lawrence Arms set was nuts too.

WORST

By FAR both times I've seen the Gaslight Anthem. First time was at Call the Office in London and I've never heard a band sound worse or play so sloppy. The second time was in Toronto in a massive venue right after their newest record. I left halfway through the set.

I was SUPER let down with Banner Pilot's performance at the Fest 7 I think it was. I was looking forward to seeing them so badly and they just seemed unenthused and the drummer was a mess. I still wan't to see them again as I'm hoping it was just a fluke bad set.

I've been going to shows for 15 years so I don't remember all the venues and stuff so I'm going to do this this way;

Bands who have played show(s) that I will never forget;

Dillinger Escape Plan

Sonic Youth

Neurosis

Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds

Godspeed You! Black Emperor

Portishead

The Smashing Pumpkins

Explosions In The Sky

ISIS

The Gaslight Anthem

X

The Jesus Lizard

Candiria

Faith No More

Pavement

Mastodon

Pantera

Foo Fighters

Cap n' Jazz

The Haunted

The Dead Milkmen

Nine Inch Nails

Guided by Voices

Television

The Stooges

Napalm Death

Patti Smith

Elvis Costello

Soundgarden

Alice In Chains

By the End of Tonight

Bands who I've seen and WANT to forget;

Animal Collective (god awful, they don't even play songs, they just make shitty noise)

Red Hot Chili Peppers (Kedis can't sing live!)

Weezer (Rivers straight up didn't care, why should I?)

Opeth (I've never been so bored at a show)

Alkaline Trio (I've seen them three times, It was only good once. They just seem like they're phoning it in these days)

Coal Chamber (Haha)

HIM (I went to see with an ex girlfriend and they're easily in the top 5 worst bands I've ever seen/worst crowds I've ever been in)

AFI (Only went because DEP was opening, left after 3 songs)

Need New Body (Saw this band open for Hella in like, 2004 and till this day they are still the worst band I've ever heard)

Godsmack (Acoustic, opening for the Stooges. Who the hell thought that was a good idea?!)

My Chemical Romance (ex again, I don't wanna talk about it)

Trivium (The opened for DEP once and we're almost booed off stage)

..And You Will Know Us By The Trail of Dead (Siren Fest 2006 I think, they were all drunk and or high, the bassist fell off the stage)

Portugal, The Man (I don't think I get it)

Terror (Christian Hardcore, NOOO thank you)

Norma Jean (You are not Botch, sorry)

FEAR (I wanted to enjoy it so much, but the crowd sucked and Lee Ving with a couple kids my age is NOT FEAR)