How to be in a band for less than 100K

I dont get why they are playing "bars and clubs" if they are putting so much money and have all those people working for them. Wouldnt it make more sense if they sprung for a real venue? Also couldnt they just live in Jersey and commute 40 minutes to their shows and save a shitload of money?

I dont get why they are playing "bars and clubs" if they are putting so much money and have all those people working for them. Wouldnt it make more sense if they sprung for a real venue? Also couldnt they just live in Jersey and commute 40 minutes to their shows and save a shitload of money?

you just dont understand. That would be a longer cab ride with their equipment. They aren't made of money. Look how much was spent getting to where they are now. But then again, they can say they were playing numerous out of state venues. :)

This band is so misinformed.

They're surprised the backstage area at rock venue isn't all glamorous? They expect La Roux to have stadium treatment with rented furniture & fucking full catering? The biggest venue my band played at actually had a backstage area & had shitty couches & a shower and that itself was a luxury.

"These days, you have to build your own following first: Produce music, and prove you can sell it. Then maybe someone will kick in some cash."

well this is a load of horse shit.. You mean people won't invest tons of money for something they don't know that they can see a return on?

that whole article just seems like somebody trolling....i know it's not, but that entire article is just....I don't know how to put this. Why is anybody on this board even bothered with that article I guess? Why write a response article to it? It's just kids who essentially want to be the next Nickleback....it's not like they're kids trying to make DIY Punk records....that are misinformed and doing it wrong....they're looking to be Rock Stars, the next Rolling Stones, not the next Fugazi....let 'em sink their own stupid money into whatever they want and make shitty music and bitch about how hard it is....if they did any sort of research into DIY music or the whole Punk ethos or DIY ethos, they wouldn't be making silly financial decisions like dropping that kind of cash on Vocal lessons and Recording costs and Rental space costs. Just let 'em be done, and get burned out on all this money they're losing, so they'll quit making shitty music that's going to end up in shitty commercial or on whatever shitty new rock radio station.

"Two Lights

Any press is good press. We're just trying to take this to the next level, so thanks to "Zac Hobbs" for caring so much. Must be nice to live in Atlanta and not have to pay as much as us to be in an indie band."

Pretty sure one of the First Fives tips should have been to "never say 'take this thing to the next level.'"