my love/hate relationship with auto return.

so yah. i have a technics sl-1400 with a fancy auto return arm.

meaning you have to manually set the needle, but the arm comes back on its own at the end of a side, or when triggered by the return switch.

i love it cos:

1. i'm lazy

2. it removes the needle much gentler than i could manually.

i hate it cos:

1. it doesn't like 5" records, it tends to return on it's own before the first track even starts, unless i set the needle just right.

2. it doesn't wont lock in locked grooves that are too close to the label.

3. it won't play reverse grooves, because i have to set the needle in the runoff groove to start the track.

i've heard there are ways to disable this feature, but i don't want to ruin my table, or the possibility of simply flipping the auto return switch to end an album.

not sure what kind of discussion i'm looking for in this, i'm just bitching really.

My turntable is completely manual, and it has an auto-stop setting on it that can be turned off, which is really nice: with auto-stop on the platter spins when the needle is brought close to the record and turns off when the needle gets to a certain point, and with auto-stop off the platter spins indefinitely.

My turntable is completely manual, and it has an auto-stop setting on it that can be turned off, which is really nice: with auto-stop on the platter spins when the needle is brought close to the record and turns off when the needle gets to a certain point, and with auto-stop off the platter spins indefinitely.

That doesn't sound like a completely manual turntable to me, but I'm an idiot.

My rega p2 has an on/off switch. Everything is manual, even changing the speeds you have to take the platter off and manually switch the belt to a different size pulley.

I love it.

That doesn't sound like a completely manual turntable to me, but I'm an idiot.

My rega p2 has an on/off switch. Everything is manual, even changing the speeds you have to take the platter off and manually switch the belt to a different size pulley.

I love it.

Well okay, I don't have to change the belts to change speed, but manual in that there's no automatic start or return. My dad's turntable doesn't have auto-start but it does have auto-return, and a few of my friends have auto-start as well.

+1 for you mister.

I don't have any 5" records either.

Oh did I also mention that this has a lever lift so you can start it(both auto and manually) and than drop the needle wherevere you like(by than lowering the lift arm) and it gently puts it on the spot. perfect for any size other than 7 or 12

+1 for you mister.

I don't have any 5" records either.

Oh did I also mention that this has a lever lift so you can start it(both auto and manually) and than drop the needle wherevere you like(by than lowering the lift arm) and it gently puts it on the spot. perfect for any size other than 7 or 12

mine has a lever for the arm as well, which could make up for things if i disabled my auto return.

my biggest new disappointment with auto return is finally picking up modest mouse's moon and ancarctica. there is a lock groove on side 1 right by the label and it cuts off before playing it, which more or less ruins the ending of that song for me.

this actually made me pass on spinning the album again last night, just because i didn't want to feel cheated.