Vinyl and Last.fm

nico

I was looking at my last.fm account and I noticed the playlist does not represent myself.

Me being me, I was thinking, I want to scrobble my vinyl plays, cassettes too. Hell even de cd's I play and the Youtube video's I listen to.

So I came up with the idea, to use my android phone, since it is portable and can be used also for your car stereo, something like Shazam/Soundhound, to scan every minute/30 seconds for a song.

When it recognizes the song and the data is returned then a play should be scrobbled to Last.fm.

This is the main idea:

If current song = last scrobble song

then ignore song

else scrobble song.

Before I start programming it and most importantly start looking for alternative api, since Shazam and Soundhound is pretty much close source stuff, I want to know if anyone is interested in this?

Also is anyone busy with this already or knows an alternative which can do this?

It probably will drain the battery but thinking about the UX of this thing I don't see many scenarios where you wouldn't want to manually start the tagging process. So at least people are explicitly telling it to drain battery life.

It doesn't have to terminate after 30 seconds like Shazam, but I'd like to tell it when to start and stop. Otherwise, accuracy becomes a problem since you can't verify position and sound source.

for doofuses like myself...

Scrobbling a song means that when you listen to it, the name of the song is sent to Last.fm and added to your music profile.

Once you've signed up and downloaded Last.fm, you can scrobble songs you listen to on your computer or iPod automatically. Start scrobbling yourself, and see what artists you really listen to the most. Songs you listen to will also appear on your Last.fm profile page for others to see.

Millions of songs are scrobbled every day. This data helps Last.fm to organise and recommend music to people; we use it to create personalised radio stations, and a lot more besides.

I've been thinking about this too, and I think whenever I'm playing the LP I'm gonna start playing it in my iTunes as well so that I do get the scrobbles

^ done that. Easiest solution I can think of. Pop on a record, start same album in iTunes, volume mute or very low.

This is what I do. However, I have a very large collection of music so I have to store it all on an external drive. This can be a pain in the arse when I have to have my laptop in one place, while my my turntable is in the living room.

I recently decided to come out from under the rock I'd been hibernating under and discovered Spotify. This solves that issue, and it scrobbles.

Installed the first Android App, doesn't use Shazam (or similar kind of application) to "listen" to music. But you can scan the barcode or look up the record on Discogs.

http://blog.jollybox.de/archives/116-release-vinyl-scrobbler

That's pretty cool, but doesn't account for those records that don't have barcodes.

I've been thinking about this too, and I think whenever I'm playing the LP I'm gonna start playing it in my iTunes as well so that I do get the scrobbles

^ done that. Easiest solution I can think of. Pop on a record, start same album in iTunes, volume mute or very low.

Exactly I even do this while I watch youtube videos of either a song or a live version of a song.

I wish my last.fm Was a better representation of what and how much I listen to music.

whoa whoa whoa guys. are scrobbles that important?

i hear this a lot and used to think the same about people obsessing over scrobbling. the ability to look back over the days, months and even years of the music you've listened to is really cool and nostalgic, though. been scrobbling on and off since last.fm emerged and wish i never stopped for the few years that I did. it's definitely not for everyone but i enjoy going through my listening history as well as my friends'

I was looking at my last.fm account and I noticed the playlist does not represent myself.

Me being me, I was thinking, I want to scrobble my vinyl plays, cassettes too. Hell even de cd's I play and the Youtube video's I listen to.

So I came up with the idea, to use my android phone, since it is portable and can be used also for your car stereo, something like Shazam/Soundhound, to scan every minute/30 seconds for a song.

When it recognizes the song and the data is returned then a play should be scrobbled to Last.fm.

This is the main idea:

If current song = last scrobble song

then ignore song

else scrobble song.

Before I start programming it and most importantly start looking for alternative api, since Shazam and Soundhound is pretty much close source stuff, I want to know if anyone is interested in this?

Also is anyone busy with this already or knows an alternative which can do this?

Are you a god?

I've always had this issue in my head. I go to play something in my iTunes and think, oh sweet damn, I have that LP! I put it on my table, and don't get the "scrobble" data. Glad I'm not the only one thinking about such a trivial issue.

i just kinna keep track and make a playlist in itunes... then play that while i'm sleeping. on silent.