Republican Race

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After the Florida primary Romney said “While we celebrate this victory, we must not forget what this election is really about: defeating Barack Obama.

Not about our economy, or America. Just making sure the "bad guy" doesn't win. Not that this is anything new but next to none of these candidates are fit to run a goddamn country. Our elections have degraded into nothing more than picking a lesser of evils (which is ironic since most of them let their religious ideologies write their campaigns) and it's pretty sad. I personally am leaning towards Ron. At least he knows what the hell The Constitution is.

Also:

[image]

While being mostly for comedy purposes, I would still argue that the news segments on The Daily Show are far more honest and critical in terms of actual facts and questions asked, compared to many normal news shows.

i think i'm so amused by stewart/colbert because a lot of the time, they say outloud what i'm thinking (granted, in much funnier/more caustic ways) when i see most things happening in politics.

While being mostly for comedy purposes, I would still argue that the news segments on The Daily Show are far more honest and critical in terms of actual facts and questions asked, compared to many normal news shows.

i think i'm so amused by stewart/colbert because a lot of the time, they say outloud what i'm thinking (granted, in much funnier/more caustic ways) when i see most things happening in politics.

Same here. I hate when conservatives equate them with the liberal talking heads on msNBC, too. Stewart/Colbert bag on liberals at times, the Republicans are just the ones in the spotlight saying stupid things right now.

I really enjoy the interviews with politicians on The Daily Show, too. The discussion tends to be more honest and I find it easier to wrap my mind around certain issues because Jon Stewart is more of a regular guy. That's not to say he's uninformed, either, because he usually is and has legitimate questions that a lot of his guests aren't used to answering.

sorry on behalf of PA for unleashing santorum and gingrich on you guys.

my uncle used to live next door to gingrich's mom. what a terribly awful family.

i wish that during one of these debates they'd bring up the fact that santorum used to live in a giant house in virginia and tried to charge the school district in PA where his 'other' house was located for his kids' cyber school tuition.

and that whole bizarre dead baby thing.

I saw the subject line of this thread and immediately said to myself, "Oh, that's easy: white."

Funny you mention that. Thought this was interesting. During the 2008 election, PBS was interviewing delegates for the RNC and one of the people they interviewed was the only black delegate from NY who happens to be my uncle. Saw him after the election and teased him "so no love for the brother Obama?" He said "Hes not my brother." Go figure. Haven't seen him in a long while but he had to be on that Herman Cain train.

Yeah Stewart and Colbert are more "balanced" and "fair" if you are a democrat. Rush bashes republicans too. They are so biased its not even funny. It is funny though to watch people eat up what they say as truth though.

America's issue is two fold. It is a two party system with the same people pulling the strings. We also need to have run-off elections so people can feel like they can vote for who they think is best, not who they think can beat the person they hate.

Yeah Stewart and Colbert are more "balanced" and "fair" if you are a democrat. Rush bashes republicans too. They are so biased its not even funny. It is funny though to watch people eat up what they say as truth though.

America's issue is two fold. It is a two party system with the same people pulling the strings. We also need to have run-off elections so people can feel like they can vote for who they think is best, not who they think can beat the person they hate.

you really think stewart and colbert are less 'balanced and fair' than rush?

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL.

that man straight makes up bullshit about people (namely liberals). stewart/colbert just bash/make fun of everyone as a joke. i mean...they're on comedy central.

rush is serious, and his listeners take him seriously. like my Pop Pop, for example, who spouts that dudes rhetoric every time i'm around him like it's the gospel.

i think the biggest misconception among the vast majority of under-educated americans (read: 90% of the country) is that the president has the power to change all this crap single handedly.

nothing will magically get better in a single 4 year term. if there was more bipartisanship, things could potentially start to turn around, but until congress can get it's act together, the wheels of progress will continue to grind to a halt.

i think the biggest misconception among the vast majority of under-educated americans (read: 90% of the country) is that the president has the power to change all this crap single handedly.

nothing will magically get better in a single 4 year term. if there was more bipartisanship, things could potentially start to turn around, but until congress can get it's act together, the wheels of progress will continue to grind to a halt.

He does have some executive powers that Congress does not have and I haven't really too happy with him since he took office but hes the lesser of the evils I guess. I might vote for a third party person in NY state.

I'm still not getting this Ron Paul phenomenon. Way too many people drinking his Kool-Aid. Guess people would like a shadow government of unregulated corporations with more say than ever. Yeah hes really not in it for the money. ::)

He does have some executive powers that Congress does not have and I haven't really too happy with him since he took office but hes the lesser of the evils I guess. I might vote for a third party person in NY state.

I'm still not getting this Ron Paul phenomenon. Way too many people drinking his Kool-Aid. Guess people would like a shadow government of unregulated corporations with more say than ever. Yeah hes really not in it for the money. ::)

i think people are more down on obama than they should be at this point. i read a really interesting editorial on him the other day. the author was discussing how he was thinking more long term with all of his goals for the country instead of just short term fixes. out of several hundred concrete promises he made on the campaign trail, apparently he's taken some sort of action on all but two of them.

if i can find the link to it, i'll post it here.

oh, and i totally agree with you about paul. he's super charismatic and a lot of people are buying into his 'fuck the government and corporations, legalize pot etc etc' bullshit without actually knowing what any of his crazy ideas for the country would actually entail or what their repurcussions would be.

[image]

Not that I'm Obama's biggest fanboy, but I think he'll be looked back on as a pretty solid president. He wouldn't be the first to have his reputation changed in retrospect... Ike was thought of as a big dud for a long, long time, and it wasn't until the mess of Vietnam unfolded that people appreciated his foreign policy, because that could have very easily unfolded during his time. Barack had one of the most active first-100 days ever. All sorts of shit got done on his watch early, including stimulus, some version of health care reform, and other stuff many presidents tried.

It's just a polarized time. He'll be recognized someday.

EDIT: Of course, the Presidency is vastly over-rated. Congress is where change needs to occur the most. Talk about a useless lot of dolts and comfortable, complacent old men. i hope we do what we need to do and remove the incumbents, but i doubt that will happen.

Exactly. If people paid more attention to the midterm election than they did the general election, we might be looking at a better represented nation.

All the republican candidates running for the nomination are extremely uninspiring. The only two that make/made any sense was Ron Paul and Jon Huntsman but Huntsman dropped out and Paul I can't help but think might be a racist and I don't agree with his massive take down of education. He is really old too which quite frankly doesn't settle with me especially after the whole Reagan "I don't remember exchanging weapons for hostages" during the Iran contra affair. The ghost of Reagan's dementia is something that shouldn't be seen again in the highest office again.

Plus endorsements really don't mean a damn thing do they? I don't think so.