Cut Up Cardboard box mailing method

I'm gonna disagree with you there. This happened to me a few weeks ago.

[image]

I had a guy mail a 7 inch that I paid 35 bucks for in a bubble mailer

well honestly, the dude could have mailed it in a 7" mailer and it still could have arrived to you like that. It depends on the situation, no one is to blame, except Satan.

I have always done this for 7"s and never had a problem. I would cringe at the idea of using it for an LP though

dont buy stuff from theicarusline.bigcartel.com then. both LPs i purchased were sent in padded bags - from US to Australia. take it as read the sleeves were fucked to hell. records are a'ight, but sleeves look like they come out of a charity shop bin.

i complained after I got the first one, so they duly sent the second exactly the same way.

The "sandwich" method is bullshit and apathy. I have used a record mailer as a template, traced onto a flat sheet of cardboard and made essentially the same thing for less than the $2 cost of a real mailer at a nameless local shop. Never had a complaint. That get up kids picture horrifies me.

The "sandwich" method is bullshit and apathy. I have used a record mailer as a template, traced onto a flat sheet of cardboard and made essentially the same thing for less than the $2 cost of a real mailer at a nameless local shop. Never had a complaint. That get up kids picture horrifies me.

wow you have mad free time huh?

No joke. If I run out of 7" mailers (which I scarcely have on hand anyway), I just put the 7" between two pieces of cardboard and then use a regular mailer with bubble-wrap to take up the extra dead space. Works just fine.

If you are paying $2 for a 12" mailer, you are getting ripped off

If you run out of mailers, order more. Explain to the buyer that you are out and I'm sure they will understand and would rather wait a bit than get some bullshit sandwiched mailer

Exactly. Plus when they stick to pieces of cardboard together they seem to use so much tape that it would offset the cost of actually buying a mailer

And I have to sit and carefully cut this thing apart

Guest deathbydrums
I have always done this for 7"s and never had a problem. I would cringe at the idea of using it for an LP though

Fine for 7"s. Leave a bit of "give" space (2cm or so wider than the 7" in all directions) in case the edges get hit.

Yeah, that kind of force would've probably killed it even in a 7" mailer.

The issue is whether or not the person who is mailing it creates the "wall" with the cardboard. If it's only sandwiched in there, it's so easy for the package to get bent practically in half.

However, if you use a standard mailer (or create an actual BOX), you create 90 degree angles that help resist folding/bending. You would have to work pretty hard to take a 7" mailer with a record in it and fold it in half far enough to snap a record. Not saying it's impossible, but I think we can all agree that it would be 1000 times more difficult for it to happen than it would with only two flimsy cardboard pieces as it's protector.

I recently refused to pay for an ebay auction until the guy PROMISED me that he'd use a mailer because he insisted that he's "always had such great luck with bubble mailers in the past."

If you are paying $2 for a 12" mailer, you are getting ripped off

If you run out of mailers, order more. Explain to the buyer that you are out and I'm sure they will understand and would rather wait a bit than get some bullshit sandwiched mailer

Everyday Music here was charging $2 per LP mailer and $1.50 for 7" mailers. It's easy to make my own out of the boxes from Costco. Many buyers aren't usually in the "patient" mood.

Seriously, have you ever used a utility knife? It takes less than a minute to trace and cut. I'm not going to order from bagsunlimited just to have cardboard sent to me.

dont buy stuff from theicarusline.bigcartel.com then. both LPs i purchased were sent in padded bags - from US to Australia. take it as read the sleeves were fucked to hell. records are a'ight, but sleeves look like they come out of a charity shop bin.

i complained after I got the first one, so they duly sent the second exactly the same way.

You fuckin know that shit! I had the exact same experiance with them. Giant bubble mailer, records all fucked to hell, one was still sealed but sleeve was creased all over and the other lp looked like it had been used as a dogs chew toy... then run over a couple of times and then analy raped. But records themselves played fine... what you gonna do?

Guest deathbydrums

I think someone might have said this above in a different way... if you're using 2 pieces of cardboard, make sure the corrugation for the two pieces runs perpendicular to each other to improve stiffness. Same thing when you put cardboard stiffeners/fillers in 12" boxes. PERPENDICULAR PEOPLE

Also, if a mailer is still stiff with nice intact corners then in my opinion it is acceptable to turn it inside out to be reused. Just don't use flimsy boxes that have already seen a bit of abuse. Only place I can find new LP shippers shipped to Canada is U-Line and for 100 boxes + 100 fill pads delivered I paid almost $200. If anyone knows a better deal in Canada I'd consider using only new boxes but I generally save them for the more precious records that I ship... more just so the postal people might respect the clean package a bit more.

No clean package jokes please. ;)