Jack White Tri-Color

otto802

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

how many people here have actually worked in a record store, as an adult? I cant speak for anyone at reckless, but I would guess its not the most financially rewarding career, probably doesnt come with health insurance, and done more out of love for music and vinyl itself. jesus, if they get one, ONE, opportunity a year to buy something like this before the general public, then I'd support that. hell, let them flip it on ebay too.

^ Half of the folks I know at Reckless are solid folks - a couple with full families even - and have been nothing but helpful over the last eight years that I've gone there. When I moved to Uptown back in 2004, I would go to the one on Broadway all the time (before they moved across the street to the much larger location where an American Apparel used to be) and over that time, the quality of their used goods has never gone down hill. I constantly find stuff there that I would have to pay five to ten times as much for on eBay or elsewhere if I wanted it.

If folks have hate for Reckless, that's cool for them, but I don't honestly understand why.

how many people here have actually worked in a record store, as an adult? I cant speak for anyone at reckless, but I would guess its not the most financially rewarding career, probably doesnt come with health insurance, and done more out of love for music and vinyl itself. jesus, if they get one, ONE, opportunity a year to buy something like this before the general public, then I'd support that. hell, let them flip it on ebay too.

Oh please. Yeah, I'm sure record store employees buy up super limited pressings before the paying public so they can offset their health insurance costs. lol

thats not what my post was saying but if you would like to steer this thread towards a debate on the affordability of health care im game.

And what about the struggling college student waiting in line, or the dude with the unexpected baby on the way who needs this record to flip for some baby wipes and Gerber goop? Huh??

thats not what my post was saying but if you would like to steer this thread towards a debate on the affordability of health care im game.

And what about the struggling college student waiting in line, or the dude with the unexpected baby on the way who needs this record to flip for some baby wipes and Gerber goop? Huh??

Hasn't this been discussed in other threads before? That's what IRAs are for.

Last year, I yielded 6.2%. My kids are going to college, baby!

For all of you guys whose vaginas are all sandy because god forbid a couple of record store employees "cheated you" out of a couple of copies of a record, just sit tight for a few years when the bottom drops out of these manufactured collectibles and you can buy them in bulk for less than a cup of coffee, just like what happened with the comic book "gold cover, etc" variations of the 1990s and the "rare chase cards" in sport cards and magic cards.

Reckless is a damn good store who doesn't hoard things to make extra money on ebay and they have a great selection of music. Their prices are often pretty damn fair too. Chicago is lucky to still have record stores as good as they are. I can't tell you how many great things I've picked up over the years, things they could have easily never put on the floor and listed on ebay instead like a TON of other stores around the world do.

If TMR really wanted to curb the flipping, "hoarding" and general craziness behind these things, they would have all their records come sealed and not labeled as being on color, then randomly dispersed with the black ones in the boxes sent to distributors and stores. That way everyone has a pretty equal shot and getting one and there won't be any dudes crying because someone at the store got one, or some record scalper hired a bunch of homeless dudes to wait in line overnight for him so he can scalp the records on ebay.

I like neat variations of records as much as the next guy and have ever since I was in grade school in the 70s, but the whole TMR thing and how they handle their forced collectibles is just ridiculous. I am so glad that I don't give a shit about Jack White, or any of the half million bands he plays in and releases every fart he ever captured on tape pressed into a sno-cone colored record you can only buy when the moon is full if you happen to be on the right street corner in some shithole part of town for the 3 minutes some guy will be selling the shit out of his trunk. No record is worth that much hassle and there's far better records to lose sleep over not owning.

This.

For all of you guys whose vaginas are all sandy because god forbid a couple of record store employees "cheated you" out of a couple of copies of a record, just sit tight for a few years when the bottom drops out of these manufactured collectibles and you can buy them in bulk for less than a cup of coffee, just like what happened with the comic book "gold cover, etc" variations of the 1990s and the "rare chase cards" in sport cards and magic cards.

Reckless is a damn good store who doesn't hoard things to make extra money on ebay and they have a great selection of music. Their prices are often pretty damn fair too. Chicago is lucky to still have record stores as good as they are. I can't tell you how many great things I've picked up over the years, things they could have easily never put on the floor and listed on ebay instead like a TON of other stores around the world do.

If TMR really wanted to curb the flipping, "hoarding" and general craziness behind these things, they would have all their records come sealed and not labeled as being on color, then randomly dispersed with the black ones in the boxes sent to distributors and stores. That way everyone has a pretty equal shot and getting one and there won't be any dudes crying because someone at the store got one, or some record scalper hired a bunch of homeless dudes to wait in line overnight for him so he can scalp the records on ebay.

I like neat variations of records as much as the next guy and have ever since I was in grade school in the 70s, but the whole TMR thing and how they handle their forced collectibles is just ridiculous. I am so glad that I don't give a shit about Jack White, or any of the half million bands he plays in and releases every fart he ever captured on tape pressed into a sno-cone colored record you can only buy when the moon is full if you happen to be on the right street corner in some shithole part of town for the 3 minutes some guy will be selling the shit out of his trunk. No record is worth that much hassle and there's far better records to lose sleep over not owning.

Strange to read this on a vinyllovers forum. Jack White bring out some of the best music around and is responsible for a big part of this revival of vinyl thing. He does everything on his own way, independant without the pressure of recordcompany or contracts. I don't see much wrong with this.

Hey ayestidham - thanks for never answering my PM about trying to score me one of these because you happened to live in Nashville, and then turning around and selling one on eBay.

Awesome dude!!!

he probably just sold the one he got. He's been selling all his third man stuff to fund his band's 7". It's one per person at TMR.

Plus, do you really think someone is going to stand in line for hours and miss work on a Tuesday to get a 7" that's worth $300 to sell it to you at cost "plus a little extra for shipping"? Record collectors just aren't that nice.

Hey ayestidham - thanks for never answering my PM about trying to score me one of these because you happened to live in Nashville, and then turning around and selling one on eBay.

Awesome dude!!!

he probably just sold the one he got. He's been selling all his third man stuff to fund his band's 7". It's one per person at TMR.

Plus, do you really think someone is going to stand in line for hours and miss work on a Tuesday to get a 7" that's worth $300 to sell it to you at cost "plus a little extra for shipping"? Record collectors just aren't that nice.

I waited for over an hour at the Lagwagon box set release show to grab one of the five color copies still available. Sure, I tried for about a week to trade it for the NOFX 7OTM club, but in the end I sold it to the first person who said he would pay me for it. I could have put it on eBay and sold it for $300+, but I just sold it for cost and shipping and the dude that bought it was cool enough to cover my ticket to the show. It was only a profit of $25, but at least I helped someone out who had no chance of getting it otherwise.

I was just hoping that someone was going to be that nice. I guess I thought that this was what VC was for. The witty banter and helping out other collectors. I know that this one was a long-shot, but...I guess these things happen.

If I get a double of a rare third man item, I always hold it to trade someone else who has a double. That way we're helping each other out and no one's getting ripped off. But I wouldn't be able to get someone to stand in line with me for hours to try to get one for someone I don't know. Maybe that makes me a jerk, but at least I'm honest about it. Buying one just to turn around and sell it sucks. that makes them no better than any of the other flippers in line.

Unless you had some sort of arrangement for him to get you the record and send it to you for an agreed upon price, I don't think there's any reason to call him out for not doing it. From what I can tell, you sent a PM to a guy who was near TMR, got no response and then got mad when he did what he wanted with his own record. Also, unless he made a general announcement here that he would gladly try to acquire a copy for a fan who couldn't get to the store on this board and THEN ignored you, I don't see why he should possibly owe you anything or even a response. Maybe I'm missing something though...

Unless you had some sort of arrangement for him to get you the record and send it to you for an agreed upon price, I don't think there's any reason to call him out for not doing it. From what I can tell, you sent a PM to a guy who was near TMR, got no response and then got mad when he did what he wanted with his own record. Also, unless he made a general announcement here that he would gladly try to acquire a copy for a fan who couldn't get to the store on this board and THEN ignored you, I don't see why he should possibly owe you anything or even a response. Maybe I'm missing something though...

I don't think he owes me anything. I was just stating that, from my perspective, it looks like a dick move. But no, you're not missing anything. If he is selling it to fund his own 7", then I get it. The call-out was a short rant during a high pre-bed eBay search. Done and done.

Awesome dude!!!

I'm sorry that I didn't respond to your PM about me getting you a tri at cost. In fact I received like six PM's about that same thing. I'm sorry that me and a friend waited in line for 3 hours (while meeting a guy who drove from MN to get one).

I don't know where peoples sense of entitlement is coming from. Hundreds of other people wanted one and several of them are willing to pay up to $300 or drive 13 hours for them. What makes anyone think that they deserve one at cost? Just because they collect records? I am trying to fund things for my band and if I can get an extra 250-300 bucks on something, I will take that. Sorry.

Again, I really wasn't trying to short hand anyone or be a dick at all. Sorry if it came out that way!

Like I said in a post before, if you're selling it to help your band, then you should totally sell it. I completely understand when people have to sell records to pay bills and whatnot.

I guess this is one of those times when I should find out more info before I become a self-righteous-entitled asshole for no reason. But honestly, good luck with your band. Done and done for serious this time...probably.

Again, I really wasn't trying to short hand anyone or be a dick at all. Sorry if it came out that way!

Like I said in a post before, if you're selling it to help your band, then you should totally sell it. I completely understand when people have to sell records to pay bills and whatnot.

I guess this is one of those times when I should find out more info before I become a self-righteous-entitled asshole for no reason. But honestly, good luck with your band. Done and done for serious this time...probably.

haha thanks man. No hard feelings.