The Classic Crime - New album KICKSTARTER

Not to start a whole extra debate here but we're all music lovers here and recognize that music, in an ideal world, should be paid for in order to fairly show support to the musicians. If that's true, what I don't understand is why people here are going after Christians for paying for music. If my "pay-for-music-to-support-the-artist" argument holds any water, wouldn't it be fair to say that Christians are doing it right?

Just throwing in my two cents--don't harp on Christians for paying for music when any reasonable-minded fan of music out there recognizes this is a good thing to be doing for the music they love and listen to. In this case, it just happens to be music from The Classic Crime.

That being said, I do wish the vinyl option were a bit cheaper...I think $50 would have been reasonable, like FIF did for theirs.

toured with these guys when they were supporting their 2nd record. dug the tunes and them as people a lot so im happy for them. but i believe the secret to their overwhelming support here is the religion factor. it's a real game changer for bands' sales and support across the boards when they cater to the Christian rock genre

Merch? Or your band opened? If so what band

my band did a few tours with them in 2008 and 2009. these green eyes.

I never really took the kickstarter as simply an online store for the band/release. Is $99 too much for that stuff? As simply the products themselves yeah of course, we get the argument but I think it misses the point completely. When they design a kickstarter they are putting together price points that are realistic for people to want to donate. $100 is a prime price point in attracting reasonably large donations. I have bands I like that I may not be able to donate $250 but I could handle more than $50. I also don't expect them to have to win me over in this decision. If I'm even considering donating $100 it is because I genuinely really enjoy the band and the "rewards" come second to my intentions of simply supporting the project. It really does not matter what you think their record is worth. We understand you see it as a piece of plastic, manufactured for a few bucks a unit and housed in some cardboard sleeve but to some other kid it means a lot more. Maybe even $100 more.

I wish I had a fan base that wanted to see my band put out a new record so desperately that they would be willing to donate this sort of money. Hell, I wish everyone went to the lengths the Christian demographic goes to to enjoy and consume music and support their favourite artists.

Do I even like or care about this band at all? No and clearly neither do many people here so really what's the issue? The guy has a fucking kid and a wife to think about. I stay off tour just because I'm unsure I'd make rent the next month, I can't imagine having to provide for a family. They want to tour but they can't and so they also get shit for using the extra money to do that? Who cares? Again, this effects us in absolutely no way. You're trying to show their fans that they are being taken for a ride? What are these guys supposed to be abusing? People gave them this money knowing exactly what it would be used for, the dude literally explains it all in that video. I just understand this sad attempt to try and take down this project, is it jealousy that people care about this band? There is no rational explanation. These people will buy/fund/support whatever they want to and it is a waste of time to try and have them think otherwise.

I just don't get trying to take down a band for doing what they want to do fuelled solely by the support of those who want to see them do it.

^I like what you have to say. I think the attempts to take the band down have less to do with the band/music and more to do with them being a blatantly Christian band. No other religion out there brings out this much animosity in music circles/discussions, especially when coupled with the "injustice" of the band offering a $100 vinyl package. It's really interesting to see, particularly in a world where tolerance and respect is such a huge thing to people.

As I stated previously, I don't like this band musically. When I hear it, I hear an attempt to sound like the general market. To be a RIYL band. But this is my perception. If that's not Classic Crime's attempt, than fine. The writer of the article on that blog is even more annoying by calling his detractors "haters".

That said, it is utterly ridiculous that some people have made an attempt to harass them and sabotage what they're attempting to do. Fine, we don't like it, we'll bitch about it. But it doesn't take any balls to go make fun of them on their Facebook page or doing faking pledges so their fans will think they don't need to sponsor it. Doing any confrontation behind a computer and acting big and bad is the the epitome of being a pussy.

That logic holds no water. There are different levels of fans. The beauty of Kickstarter is that you can pledge whatever you want above and beyond what is required.

The casual fan can pay $15 for the album and the "real" fans can pay $100 if they so choose. I don't understand why that is so hard for everyone to grasp.

No one is paying money for the album. They're pledging money to help the band record a new album. They just happen to get the album in some form in return.

People who hate on Kickstarter don't seem to understand that it's not a storefront. It's a fundraising tool to accomplish goals. It's like when PBS or NPR does a pledge drive. I'm donating $50 to keep them on the air and in return they send me a tote bag as a sign of thanks; I'm not buying a tote bag for $50.

lol, "1 of 200 vinyl s". cringe.

edit: tried posting this 3 times before realizing what was going on...i love that this board won't even let me write the word as he did in the article. well played mods.

No one is paying money for the album. They're pledging money to help the band record a new album. They just happen to get the album in some form in return.

People who hate on Kickstarter don't seem to understand that it's not a storefront. It's a fundraising tool to accomplish goals. It's like when PBS or NPR does a pledge drive. I'm donating $50 to keep them on the air and in return they send me a tote bag as a sign of thanks; I'm not buying a tote bag for $50.

Apples and oranges. This isn't NPR or PBS. Those are entities that offer radio and television programming. They are paid for by advertising and viewer support. Bands can't sell advertising. They sell CDs/vinyl and tour to make money. I support those bands by buying LPs at reasonable prices and going to shows. I have also paid double what an LP costs at a merch table because I wanted to. You don't see a flaw in the mindset of "the only way you can get an LP is by pledging $100"? It's not like they are offering it for sale in a storefront setting after the Kickstarter is over.

That said, it is utterly ridiculous that some people have made an attempt to harass them and sabotage what they're attempting to do. Fine, we don't like it, we'll bitch about it. But it doesn't take any balls to go make fun of them on their Facebook page or doing faking pledges so their fans will think they don't need to sponsor it. Doing any confrontation behind a computer and acting big and bad is the the epitome of being a pussy.

+1. I got on the "haters" bandwagon and then came to the realization that I was just brining negativity into the situation. Who am I to say what someone will and won't pledge for their favorite band? I'd gladly give $100 to Bazan or FSF or Chris Staples (twothirtyeight) just to help them make their next album. Once I realized it's not a store, and that it's a pledge to support someone, I totally backtracked and changed my mind.

That being said, I wish that bands would offer better vinyl packages for people that just want a copy of their new album on the music listening medium of their choice.

Agreed. The whole Kickstarter thing sucks, but if someone wants to pay $100 to support their favorite band, then good on them. I did it for Showbread (smite me), and while defending them isn't going to help, there were some different circumstances (the album was free, they used the extra money to make the upcoming tour completely free). As someone relatively close to the band, I even told them that the price for the vinyl wasn't a good idea. But they know now that the way it (the vinyl in particular) was handled was a mistake, because of their lack of knowledge about the format.

But not to get back into that argument. There's a very select few other bands I would do this for, as well. In the Classic Crime's case, again, if their fans want to support them with this by donating $100 or more, then that's great. I won't be giving them any of my money, but obviously a lot of people want to. It sucks that they're only offering vinyl at the $100 mark and won't even have it cheaper after the fundraiser, but that's their decision. However, the band's attitude about this whole thing has been miserable. I was rolling my eyes the entire time watching the conversation unfold. There's no reason to be rude and elitist to your potential fans or people curious about how certain prices don't mask sense.

Also I've come to the conclusion that most of The Classic Crime's "true fans" are morons. As a Christian, Christians suck.

• 2 years later...

derp. What?

Dude's were asking $100 a pop for vinyl copies of their kickstarter album and tens of thousands of dollars for a short tour, Brent called them out, other folks piled on, band got butthurt, etc. If you look at the kickstarter update they originally posted this message on, they screencapped some of my tweets to Brent as proof of a vast hater conspiracy to bring them down. Good times.