next time you want to release that 12+ minute 7"

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I gladly paid more for Retox's Ugly Animals 1 sided LP that has their logo etched into the opposite side, same with Limp Wrist's self-titled EP which is also one-sided 12".

I can definitely appreciate when hard rock/punk bands do this, nothing I hate more than a measly 45g 7" with 5 songs crammed on each side that all sound like shit. It gives me direct incentive to never want to spin it, which (for me) defeats the whole purpose of spending any money at all on a record.

The Best Practices record that Tiny Engines is releasing is 9 songs in about 12 minutes and we're going the 1-sided 12-inch at 45 rpm route.

To me it's just so much more appealing to have that higher level of fidelity, along with the added bonus of not having to flip the damn thing halfway through. Such a momentum killer.

Of course, it is going to cost us a bit more than a 7-inch, but we'll also adjust the retail price ... probably somewhere between the cost of a 7" and an LP.

I am not a collector in the least; I buy records to listen to them and I've logged hundreds of hours on both my turntables this past year. If I had to estimate how much of that was spent on 7-inches ... maybe 10 minutes? They're just a pain in the ass and usually bands do try to cram way too much on each side. There is an certain aesthetic with 7-inches which I can appreciate, but if someone is willing to go the extra mile to press 12 or 13 minutes of music on a one-sided 45 LP (esp. if it has a screened / etched b-side) I'll take that every day.

And if you ever hear me quibbling over a $3 or $4 price difference between the two formats, just punch me in the neck. Seriously, in the neck.

In the neck?

Spine side or throat side ... it doesn't matter.

Back to the original topic (sorta), do the people who log a lot of spin-time on their turntables feel the same way about 7-inches? I own plenty of great ones that contain terrific music, but I always reach for those LPs for some reason.

In the neck?

Spine side or throat side ... it doesn't matter.

Back to the original topic (sorta), do the people who log a lot of spin-time on their turntables feel the same way about 7-inches? I own plenty of great ones that contain terrific music, but I always reach for those LPs for some reason.

I've got two tables set up, one for 7's and one for 12's. I rarely play 7's, usually I'll get a stack of 7's out when I'm showing mates some stuff, and just put them on one song and change it.

With 12's I can sit down and read a few pages of the newspaper or a book.

fidelity > overfilled 7"/cost. always.

the only time I get a little tired of anything at 45RPM is with Mastodon records, since they tend to run high for even the single LP @ 33RPM. $30 for a 2xLP 45RPM deluxe version is a respectable price. (like Kylesa)

I once again really wish the Giants 7" would have been made as a 12" at 45RPM. I'd have paid for the better quality so it wasn't so quiet and wouldn't have cramped grooves.

The Best Practices record that Tiny Engines is releasing is 9 songs in about 12 minutes and we're going the 1-sided 12-inch at 45 rpm route.

To me it's just so much more appealing to have that higher level of fidelity, along with the added bonus of not having to flip the damn thing halfway through. Such a momentum killer.

Of course, it is going to cost us a bit more than a 7-inch, but we'll also adjust the retail price ... probably somewhere between the cost of a 7" and an LP.

I am not a collector in the least; I buy records to listen to them and I've logged hundreds of hours on both my turntables this past year. If I had to estimate how much of that was spent on 7-inches ... maybe 10 minutes? They're just a pain in the ass and usually bands do try to cram way too much on each side. There is an certain aesthetic with 7-inches which I can appreciate, but if someone is willing to go the extra mile to press 12 or 13 minutes of music on a one-sided 45 LP (esp. if it has a screened / etched b-side) I'll take that every day.

And if you ever hear me quibbling over a $3 or $4 price difference between the two formats, just punch me in the neck. Seriously, in the neck.

This. I don't listen to my turntable everyday. Maybe two or three times a week for about an hour to two hours each time. I do feel though that most 7"s are usually an exclusive b-side bullshit as to yeah I could only get this song on vinyl this way or 2 or 3 songs on the 7" with a bonus song or two on the download that probably ends up on a split 7" with someone else.

All in all I don't care give me a one sided 12" if you got 12+ minutes on your EP. Skip the fancy packaging and save money. Doesn't Sabot sell the Loud About Loathing 12" EP for $7? and thats having the same music on both sides.

I think that we can all agree that the labels that care enough about the fidelity of 12 minutes worth of music to cut a one-sided 12" will more than likely cook up some really awesome artwork and packaging that doesn't have to cost as much as a typical 12" LP.

It is beyond feasible to offer a 12" for under $10 retail. Just sayin'

But there isn't much difference at all. Two dollars at most, unless it's a screen printed/etched bside with matte die cut and spot glossed finish.

If anyone can show me an example of a plain one sided 12" that is $10 I'll shut up.

Such Gold Pedastals

Everyone I've come across cost as much as a 12", that's just the first one sided 12" I can think of

Including 2x LPs with that etched side, ie Blink 182 or Defeater, cost the regular $18-25 that 2x LPs cost

I've never seen a one sided 12" or 7" cost less because it was one sided, hell sometimes more if they have an etched side, ie Wharf Rats

But there isn't much difference at all. Two dollars at most, unless it's a screen printed/etched bside with matte die cut and spot glossed finish.

If anyone can show me an example of a plain one sided 12" that is $10 I'll shut up.

Such Gold Pedastals

Everyone I've come across cost as much as a 12", that's just the first one sided 12" I can think of

Including 2x LPs with that etched side, ie Blink 182 or Defeater or La Dispute, cost the regular $18-25 that 2x LPs cost

I've never seen a one sided 12" or 7" cost less because it was one sided, hell sometimes more if they have an etched side, ie Wharf Rats