Legality of pressing a record just for yourself.

Guest deathbydrums

You would've been fine but now that you've announced your intentions to the entire interweb expect a SWAT team at your house any time now.

Apart from the fact that a pressing plant will make you sign a waiver that you own the copyright. If you don't own the copyright they won't touch it. If they do there is also a term for it: Bootleg (regardless of how many you do)

I would be surprised if you can find a plant that does this. And contrary to popular belief, it is not the same as copying a back-up of a bought record onto CD-R as you use commercial replication equipment and the process alone falls outside of what can reasonably be accepted (in legal terms) as back-up to protect your original copy.

Sorry for bursting bubbles but this is financially expensive, legally questionable and practically almost impossible.

Apart from the fact that a pressing plant will make you sign a waiver that you own the copyright. If you don't own the copyright they won't touch it. If they do there is also a term for it: Bootleg (regardless of how many you do)

I would be surprised if you can find a plant that does this. And contrary to popular belief, it is not the same as copying a back-up of a bought record onto CD-R as you use commercial replication equipment and the process alone falls outside of what can reasonably be accepted (in legal terms) as back-up to protect your original copy.

Sorry for bursting bubbles but this is financially expensive, legally questionable and practically almost impossible.

This.

Unless you find a buddy who will do it under the table, you need to own the copyright of whatever you are pressing and owning the copyright is not the same as owning a $.99 mp3.

He wouldn't go to a pressing plant to get one record done, he'd get a lathe cut. A pressing plant wouldn't press one record simply because it's a waste of their time... not because he didn't get permission. Much different from bootlegging.

Getting a lathe cut involves no waivers, you send the file and some guy in his basement turns it around in a few weeks. Lathe cuts aren't considered commercial equipment, but even if they were if it's one record for personal use it is no different than a CDR (except that it's more expensive).

That being said, I've seen people get lathe cuts for around $75 per record. Just don't use poly-cut.com...