Topshelf Recs VS No Sleep Recs

There is no way to please the internet.

Maybe don't over hype, and viral market a sampler...I mean last time I bought something from you guys you threw two samplers in for free...

Let's take a moment to step back and consider what you're ACTUALLY complaining about right now. Annnnnnnnnd:

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

don't point fingers and make excuses when you are the ones who completely dropped the ball with this. you guys overhyped this and then it appears you just threw something together that is poorly organized and compiled.

I guess this still seems relevant, then:

I posted this, verbatim, on absolutepunk already... sorry to rehash the same shit, but I think it applies here as well:

We were gonna just post a link to Lemonparty so I feel like everyone came out on top here regardless, haha.

I thought about the "viral" aspect of it a good deal and started to feel like some people might not deem this worthy of all the hype and hoopla surrounding it, but it was a lot of fun to build up to yesterday's announcement. At the end of the day, we're having fun with our friends and trying to get our bands' music out there — I probably don't put as much stock into what people's reactions on message boards will be to my ideas. And I should, I really should, ya know? :)

The 50-song download is going to be where the real gems are, in my opinion. Plenty of new stuff to be excited about (for me at least... but don't take my word, I apparently put too much hype into things that let people down :). See also: my mom wanting grand kids).

Yes, there's no vinyl release. This is a personal and practical choice. I do not want a comp on vinyl — and if you think about it for longer than .2 seconds, you'll probably realize neither do you. I agree, it could have been nice. 20 tracks would have required for some pretty $$$ vinyl and again, I just don't feel like it's the most practical medium for a comp.

For the Hot Topic naysayers: Say what you will about the mall rats and overly commercialized...uh,-ness. There's very few national retailers with that kind of size and reach willing to take chances on projects like this. At the end of the day, Chris, Seth and I's jobs are to help promote our bands as much as possible. This seemed like a pretty good opportunity to do that.

In summation:

$4.99. Comes with a 50-song download of a mix of previously released, unreleased and exclusive tracks from both labels. $4.99, 70 songs, $0.071428571 per song. You can buy it in select Hot Topic stores (we'll post a list as soon as we get it) or online at hottopic.com starting May 22, 2012. There's a chance at winning 2012 vinyl subscriptions and other merch from each label randomly inserted into some of the records as well. This is a limited run of 1,000 CD's and will not be produced ever again, via any medium. When it's gone, it's gone.

Yeah, who knows, I think I was wrong and there was supposed to be something in the package because someone had mentioned earlier that the codes of the CDs were the same? Not sure.. We won't know unless someone on here wins, lol.

Edit: Holy crap, that tagging. Here's images with the embedded tags:

No Sleep:

[image]

Topshelf:

[image]

I love No Sleep and Topshelf, but goddamn, this looks fucking terrible from an organizational standpoint. It never ceases to amaze me that people in charge of assembling digital downloads never actually CHECK TO SEE WHAT IT WILL LOOK LIKE ON SOMEONE ELSE'S COMPUTER.

The bitrate isn't even consistent! I'm no FLAC snob, but don't give me some songs in 192, some in 320, some in VBR, one at 160(!)... Take some pride in your work, man.

guess you don't take pride in your work and brush it off as "the internet... ahh phooey"

I love No Sleep and Topshelf, but goddamn, this looks fucking terrible from an organizational standpoint. It never ceases to amaze me that people in charge of assembling digital downloads never actually CHECK TO SEE WHAT IT WILL LOOK LIKE ON SOMEONE ELSE'S COMPUTER.

The bitrate isn't even consistent! I'm no FLAC snob, but don't give me some songs in 192, some in 320, some in VBR, one at 160(!)... Take some pride in your work, man.

guess you don't take pride in your work and brush it off as "the internet... ahh phooey"

Dude, no. C'mon.

I ripped everything at 320 kbps with album art, track name, artist name, album name. All the meta / ID3 info is fine at an above-industry-standard audio quality (um, ya know, my bad?). The two tracks at 160? — Those are brand new tracks where I wasn't able to get higher quality tracks from the bands in time for our deadline so I was forced to go with 160. Sorry about this miscue. I then submitted this all to No Sleep so they could combine this with their tracks and upload it to their server for the download.

I think people don't realize that we handle all of the assembling, packing, processing and shipping of hundreds to thousands of orders, in addition to all the other aspects of our day-to-day ourselves — on top of working other jobs so we can actually afford to pay our bills. Sometimes small details (like bit-rate) get overlooked. Some serious first world problem shit, ya know?

I'm sorry you're not happy with the comp — and feel that I don't take pride in my work (which still doesn't pay me, though I devote all of my time and resources to it), but maybe you're not the intended audience here. Maybe this is a cross-promotional comp, aimed at promoting our bands to new ears via a new (for us, anyway) medium while energizing each label's fan base to engage their friends in checking out each label's respective roster — and, I dunno, maybe actually pick up a copy of this thing and get turned on to some new music.

Am I the only one that has no beef with this?

I get where both sides are coming from. Would it have been cool to have it all be the same bit rate? Sure. But it's not something that's going to sour my opinion of Topshelf or No Sleep. Both labels have been awesome every time I've dealt with them. I've got much worse quality mp3's in my iTunes. Besides, this is a SAMPLER. This is meant for you to hear a band, decide you like them, and then go out and buy their music. If you can't decide if a band is worth your time because their track's bit rate is 160, then you're doing it wrong.

No, people complaining over a 5 dollar comp with that many tracks, and saying the labels "overhyped" the releases are dildo's. It's 5 bucks, you supported the label buying the release, the hype is what every label strives to do with every release. Personally I never heard of it until I saw it on here, so it's obviously not hyped all that much. But then again I don't spend my life on message boards.

If nothing else, feel good about yourself for supporting smaller indie labels that are putting out stuff. While every other label is seemingly only rehashing major label crap, it looks like these two labels are actually putting considerable effort into marketing and publicizing their own bands, and trying to turn people onto new music, and bands that they may have never heard of before.

The bands on these two labels, and people that want to support independent music should be stoked for these guys, not talking shit about em.

Cue post "complaining about complaining" but a lot of you people on here are entitled pricks.

but a lot of you people on here are entitled pricks.

Noooo not VC!

In other news I ordered this to try to get a golden ticket. If I don't get one I am going to pass it off to a friend who has not heard of most of these bands. I guarantee she will not bitch about bit rate or ID3 tags.

I can't believe what I am reading here. I have no authority at all, (and some may not agree) but I would like to apologize on behalf of the entire board. Absolutely despicable behavior. Both Topshelf and No Sleep have been nothing short of amazing with every order I place. I live in Australia, but I always receive my items promptly, and if they are going to be late, I am informed through numerous avenues. I have a cardboard mailer spewing with free stickers, samplers, posters, pins and even records. $5 for this sampler is very worth it, for the chance of winning more free stuff, and to support such great labels.

I can tell some hard work was put into this. I am grateful for everything that has been done.

so the way to win a sub is to find a golden ticket in the cd, and if there isnt one you havent won? is this correct?

also, if you dont mind me asking (seth or kevin, whoever has the account), how many golden tickets are there total? just one?

came here to ask this... and also i'm getting an error message when trying to download my 50 song bonus thing... anyone else having this problem?

so the way to win a sub is to find a golden ticket in the cd, and if there isnt one you havent won? is this correct?

also, if you dont mind me asking (seth or kevin, whoever has the account), how many golden tickets are there total? just one?

came here to ask this... and also i'm getting an error message when trying to download my 50 song bonus thing... anyone else having this problem?

It seems to come and go. The download is hosted on the No Sleep server, so I'm guessing you'll get an error if they're having heavy traffic? IDK. I woulda hosted it with Amazon S3 or some other cloud service so we didn't have these problems, but alas. Try downloading it late at night when there's likely to be less traffic to the site. ???

Yeah, that's correct. There's 12 total. Five runner up prizes for each label and one label suscription for each label. I'm surprised no one's won anything yet ???. Or, at least, no one's been in touch about it yet, anyway.

$41.50 for shipping. Fuck.

Fuck, that's terrible. Where to?

• 1 month later...