Mailman drama...

So my dad gets into a fight with one of our mail carriers last week. Short (long?) story is the guy rings the doorbell after leaving the packages at the door (something none of the other carriers do) which sets off all three dogs my parents have to instantly go apeshit. My dad is an idiot and opens the door too wide every time and one of the dogs (a small pug/french bulldog mix, super cute) runs out and chases the guy for a second as he gets back in his postcar and is just barking at him from the sidewalk basically...

At this point I'm outside too so I catch the whole thing. The carrier proceeds to aggressively ask my dad to come get the dog, actually using curse words ("Come get your fucking dog!" I believe was the phrase used). My dad (an easily perturbed hothead) is walking towards the car at this point and proceeds to get in a yelling match back and forth with the guy, ending with the carrier saying "I'll never deliver to your door again, I'm going to put up a big sign that says don't deliver to this house!" and my dad using the almighty "get the fuck off my property!" A pretty epic argument to say the least.

I know my dad is an asshole and it's not the first time he hasn't been able to engage civilly with another human being over a random encounter like this. I called the supervisor of the post office and apologized on his behalf and told him that I would very much like it if they could keep bringing packages to the door, and he said he would pass the message along. Kind of mixed on how to feel, the postman was kind of being a provoking dick and my dad was just being my dad.

Anybody have thoughts? Similar or other dramatic encounters with mail carriers?

Post-script: Since then I've already gotten a pink slip to come get my package at the post office ::)

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ive mentioned this in here before,

but back at my parents house, the mail carrier is a miserable old hag with a chip on her shoulder. years ago she decided that our dog doesnt like her, and proceeded to decide not to deliver to our house about 75% of the time. at first she wouldnt if our dog was outside and not chained up. then it was even if she was chained up. then she wouldnt even bother delivering to nearby houses.

also, my dog is a total sweetheart, and has never gone after anyone. except for the one time i saw her approach the mail carrier, just to watch her casually pull a can of mace out of her pocket, and with no emotion whatsoever, douse my dog.

the woman is a fucking bitch, and dozens of calls to the post master have done nothing.

something like this happened to me once. my dad was out back mowing the lawn and the mail man came and rang the doorbell. so my dog freaks out and my dad comes running in to see what the fuss is about and my dog freaks out and bites my dad. my mailman sees this happening and darts for his little mail truck and my dog follows him.

im sorry guys. i dont usually side with usps but they are not paid to be friendly with dogs. that does not mean your dog is not friendly, it just means if your dog jets out of the door and runs at them i can see them maybe saying "get your fucking dog". second, "get the fuck off my property" usually means dont come back. blame your dad.

I got a record dropped off the other day and the mailman rang the door bell. My father in law was watching my 5 month old and opened the door while holding her and my dog ran outside and usually when she is outside she likes to run. My father in law told the mailman "I think if you come inside she will come back in, I don't think she will bite you" and he did so and my dog came back into the house and proceeded to act all tough with growling and running around the house but no attacking or anything. The mailman said, "I usually wouldn't have done that, but you had a baby in your hands and I didn't want you to have to chase down the dog".

Every time I see the mailman I smile and wave and he would reply back by name....at first I thought to myself "how in the hell do you know me?" and then I was like.....oh yea.

Long story short. Cool mailman is cool.

hahahahah, some grade A responses so far guys. I wasn't siding with anyone and I've already admitted my dad is an asshole so for the most part I agree with everyone here. I was just thinking that as someone representing the US government, you shouldn't be cursing at customers because you're a 40 year old tool who is scared of dogs. Beside the point. As for getting a PO box, well I don't see how that's going to solve my problem of having to go to the post office to pick my mail up.

As for ajxd, that's the first time I've ever been called white trash in my whole life, I just have to laugh and I just find it so funny there's no way I'd ever be insulted by it. But seriously thanks for also assuming this grand insight into everybody's life. If you must know this is actually my sister's dog. She is getting divorced and needed us to take her dog so she didn't lose her apartment and end up on the street. I'm well aware it's an untrainable piece of shit (I hate small dogs, I'm a freaking cat person myself). But as others have said you are an asshole and should go back to deadformat because I'm pretty sure no one here likes you. So fuck right off

For the record this particular carrier is not our regular carrier. He comes once, maybe twice a week tops. There's a small elderly asian dude who delivers regularly and needed me to sign for a package once and the same dog ran out and was chasing circles around the guy, barking like crazy. The guy, who was visibly scared shittless, didn't know what to do. I quickly grabbed the dog and afterward I just apologized to him, he was cool with the whole thing and now he still delivers to our door. I don't see the point in holding grudges against your customers for something as silly as a pug/french bulldog, but I've lived with pets all my life. And I don't even mind picking up my packages either, the post office is right on my way to work too, I just wanted to share this story because it was on my mind last night and I was quite stoned.

I have a pug but she refuses to walk down the stairs where the mailman comes, therefore she can only just bark and wag her tail at him :P

Never have a probably with my mailman personally because they all seem to suck and get replaced 4-5times a year. I'm moving back in the dorms in August which is amazing because the mail is dropped at the hall and then the front desk notifies me, easy as 1-2-3! :D