Guns N Roses Use Your Illusion I & 2 reissue 6/5

Finally getting a US release. Part of me grew up on these albums - but honestly haven't listened to in 10 years.

Worth putting here nonetheless.

Use Your Illusion I - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000707YX/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=kersjour-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B0000707YX

Use Your Illusion II - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000057DOV/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=kersjour-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B000057DOV

Each $28.10 from Amazon now.

I went back and listened to these albums during/after finishing Slash's autobiography recently, and after reading about how they made the album, immediately noticed I was way less into these two than I was 20 yrs ago. Ignorance is bliss..

Yeah I really don't see how reading a book could alter your hearing senses...

I went back and listened to these albums during/after finishing Slash's autobiography recently, and after reading about how they made the album, immediately noticed I was way less into these two than I was 20 yrs ago. Ignorance is bliss..

Yeah I really don't see how reading a book could alter your hearing senses...

Clearly you have not read the book. Otherwise you'd see what I mean

why dont you tell us as in 2012 I have zero interest reading a Slash biography

I'm gonna be a smartass, but its an AUTObiography, not a biography. I wouldn't have wanted to read it either if it wasn't. Don't know what's not interesting about a drug-addicted alcoholic somehow-still-alive rock-star's take on a career that took a nose-dive and then resurfaced 15 years later, but to each his own.

There's at least a chapter about the recording of the Use your Illusion albums, maybe more.. but essentially this and the time before it is what caused the band's demise. Axl basically turned GnR into his band (made the other members sign a contract saying he owned the name and they were just hired hands). Instead of having the entire band record the album together, or at least all be in the studio together, Axl basically pieced the whole thing together on his own without any input at all from the band.. Slash would lay down a guitar part (Axl absent), then Axl would send a messenger to Slash's hotel telling him what to change, and he would go back and re-record a part, again, Axl absent. It wasn't a band, it was a dictatorship.

Not that Axl being like that is news, and the book goes into much more detail, but I just felt like I was listening to a puzzle instead of an actual band after knowing that.

Sometimes knowing how a track or an album was recorded can enhance the way you hear it, think about it, etc. (i.e. John Bonham recording the drums in the bottom of a stairwell on When the Levee Breaks), or in this case, it detracted from my opinion. YMMV.

why dont you tell us as in 2012 I have zero interest reading a Slash biography

I'm gonna be a smartass, but its an AUTObiography, not a biography. I wouldn't have wanted to read it either if it wasn't. Don't know what's not interesting about a drug-addicted alcoholic somehow-still-alive rock-star's take on a career that took a nose-dive and then resurfaced 15 years later, but to each his own.

There's at least a chapter about the recording of the Use your Illusion albums, maybe more.. but essentially this and the time before it is what caused the band's demise. Axl basically turned GnR into his band (made the other members sign a contract saying he owned the name and they were just hired hands). Instead of having the entire band record the album together, or at least all be in the studio together, Axl basically pieced the whole thing together on his own without any input at all from the band.. Slash would lay down a guitar part (Axl absent), then Axl would send a messenger to Slash's hotel telling him what to change, and he would go back and re-record a part, again, Axl absent. It wasn't a band, it was a dictatorship.

Not that Axl being like that is news, and the book goes into much more detail, but I just felt like I was listening to a puzzle instead of an actual band after knowing that.

Sometimes knowing how a track or an album was recorded can enhance the way you hear it, think about it, etc. (i.e. John Bonham recording the drums in the bottom of a stairwell on When the Levee Breaks), or in this case, it detracted from my opinion. YMMV.

I think all that adds to how great they are. Amidst all the chaos and insanity that ensued between band members they still produced these incredible albums. I love GnR and my collection has been missing these since day 1, can't wait to order!

• 2 years later...