landlord trying to fuck me (not sexually)

pretty funny actually, as most of the things in this letter are not true.

they cut the sprayer hose. they cut the security wires. the missing shelf for the freezer? it appears in one of the pictures they sent.

she never fixxed anything within 24/48 hours.

the a/c filter was replaced a week before we moved out, plus the a/c wasn;t even on the last month we were there.

here is the email:

Dear C---- and D---,

Attached are the pictures we took regarding the apartment you vacated on April 30, 2012. We found quite a few things wrong after our walk through and it was a little disturbing that neither of you brought it to our attention at that time and rather hoped we would not notice. I can certainly provide you with quotes at a later date regarding the things that must now be fixed or replaced due to your abuse/negligence of the property you held tenancy for 3-4 years; however, I can say with certainty that the amount will far exceed your security deposit of $487.50.

Per our numerous conversations, I made it very clear that as a personal owner of the property, I will gladly fix or replace anything that was wrong with the property. I only asked in return that you maintain the apartment (i.e. cleaning, AC maintenance). Neither had been done. As a landlord I have more than kept up with my end of the lease and even went beyond in many cases. You wanted pets, I allowed for that. C----, you wanted your girlfriend to move in mid-lease, I allowed for that. When the dryer broke, the water heater broke, and the disposal broke, all three items were fixed and/or replaced within 24-48 hours.

Of course the water damage to the master bedroom was not your fault and you should not be held accountable; however, upon seeing the rotting threshold of the entrance into the bathroom, it is very clear that little to no cleaning has taken place or you would have brought that to my attention. The following items were in working and near-new condition when you took tenancy of the apartment and now need repair and or replacement after you have vacated:

1. Front door (can barely close or lock; windows do not open; windows are bent)-needs to be replaced.

2. Refrigerator needs alignment; freezer needs a new cover.

3. Kitchen sink spray was cut and no longer works.

4. Floors in kitchen beginning to warp due to D--- using PineSol soap and water to clean.

5. Wall in master bedroom and in living room are damaged into the drywall.

6. AC Unit was not maintained. Filter was soaked through and extremely dirty. Vents were covered in dirt/grime/dust. Vents need to be serviced as does the AC unit due to negligence.

7. Kitchen counter tops completely destroyed from misuse and staining.

8. Alarm system wires cut at outlet when in tact upon moving in.

Feel free to contact us should you have any questions. Good luck with your new home. We only hope you treat it with more respect than the condo you have rented from us.

Thank you.

E---- and J----

No one can really say anything about the before/after condition of the property.

What I will say, is that anyone who rents an apartment and expects it to be in perfect condition when the renters move out, is crazy. Obviously, at some point it becomes negligent and the landlord has to go after the tenant (massive damage to the apartment). But I am gonna guess you paid at least $500 in rent per month for 4 years, so the $25k in rent that they collected should easily cover a broken faucet hose, some dings in the drywall, etc. It's part of being a landlord and if they expect someone to treat a rental like a palace, they are foolish. Sounds like they are just being chintzy.

big sig is big.

and kinda gay.

i think the real reason for all of this is that there is severe water damage tot he master bedroom. (not anything we did, hurricane wilma shifted the condo slightly off the foundation.)

it seems that their insurance company isn't paying for it.

also, her parents are moving in there.

so yeah, better try and get me to pay for everything.

You seem to have one cunt of a landlord. Obviously the hurricane damage is beyond your control but this asshole is trying to nickel and dime you on basic wear and tear (especially for living there the amount of years you have). Obviously I don't know both sides of the story but I'm sure you would have a case if you pursued legal action (although I've never sued or took anyone to court so I'm not the most knowledgeable on that type of stuff).

I have been fortunate enough to have awesome landlords so far. Have got 100% of my security back on the three places I've left. I've been at my current apartment for close to five years and I can see them trying to dick me out of money when I leave as they have developed a track record of fucking people out of money lately (even though I leave my place(s) as close to perfect and move in ready as I can upon leaving).

this sucks dude. the only time i have never gotten 100% of my deposit back was when i lived in a high end high rise that i found an awesome deal on. they tried to nickel and dime the shit out of me (they got me on replacing all light bulbs and and a/c filter). i ended getting $1100 of the $1200 down back. long story short, when you move in to a rental, take notes on the last page of the lease, with the landlord and take pictures and email them to them as well. when its all said and done, you will be glad and be able to give them a big middle finger with your deposit check in hand.

The last place I rented I was hiding two rottweilers in the house with me (cause the landlord had breed restrictions with pets).

Needless to say I didn't get much of my security deposit back...

As for your landlord, it's tough to say. I'd hope you have some pictures or something to back up your side if it comes to a he said/she said type deal. Otherwise it'll be tough to proove anything in a small claims court situation.

var ads = new Array("300x250-1.png","300x250-2.png","300x250-3.png");

var num = Math.floor(Math.random()*ads.length);

if(Math.floor(Math.random()*2) == 0)

{

if(Math.floor(Math.random()*2) == 0)

document.write('+':hercm77q]ProBoards Free Forums');

else

document.write('+':hercm77q]ProBoards Free Forums');

}

else

{

document.write('ProBoards Free Forums');

}

ProBoards Free Forums

small claims court. me and some of my former roommates did this when our landlord in college was basically giving us $10-$50 out of our $350 (each) deposit, and we all ended up getting most if not all of our deposit back. also, our landlord was well known for being a scumbag around town, so that probably helped our case too.

I'd hope you have some pictures or something to back up your side if it comes to a he said/she said type deal. Otherwise it'll be tough to proove anything in a small claims court situation.

I forgot to mention this. Take pictures for sure! It should already be common sense to do so, but sometimes people forget.

I take dated pictures of my apartment/townhouse/whatever upon move in and then do the same upon leaving.

• 2 weeks later...

Had a similar issue that went to small claims. Judge said it was 100% up to the landlord to provide proof of the condition of the apartment BEFORE I moved in. He did not have those pictures, therefore he could not prove to the judge that the place was immaculate when I moved in.

The judge also explained that if, for example, the stove had to be replaced, and it was ten years old, and I only lived there for four years, the most he could charge was less than 40%. He was trying to charge full price.

You have a lot of rights, and should not be scared to be taken to court. The landlord has to prove 100% of their claims, usually with photographic evidence.

right now i am waiting to see if she provides me with an itemized recipet of damages they are charging me for. this letter needs to come by certified mail. if she never sends me this letter, she loses any claim to keep my security deposit. (today is day 27).

fingers crossed!

(we should probably cross dicks too)