Shipping records overseas just got a lot worse

All of us who ship records overseas know about the various hassles -- lack of tracking, increased costs, and the dreaded customs form (which you always seem to forget until you get to the post office). It just got a lot more time-consuming, however. Starting this week (yesterday, near as I can tell), all information on the customs claim form has to be entered into a computer.

What this means for you is that, rather than just waiting for them to stamp the form and get your receipt, you now have to stand there, the people behind you staring daggers into the back of your head, while the postal clerk punches everything into the computer. I imagine it'll get quicker as folks get used to it, but today it took almost five minutes to ship ONE package.

I live in a college town with a pretty good population of students from overseas, so it'll probably get better sooner than for those of you elsewhere. Just a heads up.

The USPS shipping assistant (a download you sign up for) will allow you to fill out all the information and print the international label at your house. But you do still need to bring the package to the post office. At that point the teller will scan your code (all the information is on-line), verify the weight, you pay and the package is gone. I have done this a couple of times and definitely moves the process along quickly. The tellers were actually shocked that it worked.!!!

I thought this type of form was only for "registered" (over 4 lbs or priority) and just a simple triplicate CN-22 (sendee and senders address is required) will do for most items. Of course, shipping from home is contingent on having a scale.

Dave

All of us who ship records overseas know about the various hassles -- lack of tracking, increased costs, and the dreaded customs form (which you always seem to forget until you get to the post office). It just got a lot more time-consuming, however. Starting this week (yesterday, near as I can tell), all information on the customs claim form has to be entered into a computer.

What this means for you is that, rather than just waiting for them to stamp the form and get your receipt, you now have to stand there, the people behind you staring daggers into the back of your head, while the postal clerk punches everything into the computer. I imagine it'll get quicker as folks get used to it, but today it took almost five minutes to ship ONE package.

I live in a college town with a pretty good population of students from overseas, so it'll probably get better sooner than for those of you elsewhere. Just a heads up.

I work for the USPS and I haven't heard anything about this. If this is a new thing, it hasn't made its way into my office yet

I noticed this last week also. I was sending a package to Australia and I had 5 minutes of awkward silence from the teller. I didn't realize what was happening until the 3rd minute when he was still typing. It made me feel like an a$$hole. Oh well, I guess I'll have to use my work computer to print everything out now.