Minus the Bear - Infinity Overhead

Bought this yesterday and listened once. Even though I was talking with people most of the time it was on only two tracks stood out and the rest was off-putting. I'll give it a few more go's but overall after the shit show that was OMNI, I'm thinking this band pretty much ended for me after POI. First three albums are great. These last two: meh.

I think the first two albums were pretty eclectic in general with moods, tempos, and structures. POI had a very classic thematic sameness in the overall feel of the tracks but the songs were definitely different from each other. Just unified. Kind of like how Songs For The Deaf (I know, nowhere near the same kind of band other than being Rock) has this same feel through out the album though there are obvious distinctions in the songs' traits and both albums are stronger for it, I feel.

But these last two Bear albums are just not cutting it. I will definitely give this one a few more listens but its not looking good. I didn't immediately hear anything that made me say "Ah, yes! Back from OMNI." Not that it sounds much like OMNI, it just lacks that classic Bear flavor or anything worthy of replacing said flavor. Again, I'll keep trying it. Quality of the product is awesome though. Clear vinyl is super clear and its sounds really good.

It may come across as biased being MtB fanatico fantastico numero uno, but I completely dig it. It has a feel of some HRP, POI, and the dance-y synth stuff on OMNI. But at the same time venturing into some new stuff. As a whole, the album is great. Only track that doesn't jive with me is "Heaven Is A Ghost Town". There is something about the sound that I can't get into. And the lyrics are a bit off-putting.

It may come across as biased being MtB fanatico fantastico numero uno, but I completely dig it. It has a feel of some HRP, POI, and the dance-y synth stuff on OMNI. But at the same time venturing into some new stuff. As a whole, the album is great. Only track that doesn't jive with me is "Heaven Is A Ghost Town". There is something about the sound that I can't get into. And the lyrics are a bit off-putting.

just about all of this.

Finally got mine from BSM. I ordered several weeks after the pre-order started, but man when is this guy going to use a legitimate mailer? Not only that, the words FRAGILE or DO NOT BEND are nowhere to be found. The gatefold jacket is good but even though the warping is slight its the most I've seen for 180 gram vinyl though. I'm sure it will play so its not worth the e-mail.

I noticed a gnarly split in the jacket at top on one of the copies from BSM. I was moving some records around when I saw it. Nothing too too bad but split is bad enough to annoy me. Oh well.

And yeah, I fail to understand why these Euro labels and distros use shitty cardboard "mailers". They're not even legit LP mailers.

• 1 month later...

Just saw this posted on VC:

Minus The Bear have announced an Ultimate Book package of their new full-length Infinity Overhead will be hitting physical stores on Black Friday. Previously only available on the band’s website, it comes with the following via press release:

“The beautifully crafted box set, which is limited to 1,000 numbered copies and retails for $69.98, consists of a deluxe 16-page hardcover book containing 180-gram black vinyl, CD, and an autographed lithograph. This ultimate edition will be available at independent record stores all across the country including Amoeba (Hollywood), Waterloo Records (Austin), Sonic Boom (Seattle) and Newbury Comics (Boston) among many others.”

I guess they didn't sell that well online huh? I know when I saw them a few weeks back they had copies at their merch table.

• 5 months later...