The Criterion Collection Thread (24 hour flash sale at criterion.com)

Even though I imported an Australian Blu-Ray of Eraserhead I am still so pumped for the Criterion in October.

I couldn't see Criterion doing Lost in Translation, even without the whole "licensing" issue. I mean, I like the movie, but if Criterion announced it I'd be like "Really?"

I agree, but it's not that much of a stretch.

Even though I imported an Australian Blu-Ray of Eraserhead I am still so pumped for the Criterion in October.

This times a million!  I only have some Korean made DVD version.  So I'm incredibly excited to not only upgrade it to blu-ray, but to upgrade it to a Criterion blu-ray!  Already got it preordered on Amazon :).

http://www.criterion.com/my_criterion/142766-olsvik/collection

I'll take some recs too if you are up for it.

Didn't care for the Red Shoes (picked it up used somewhere) and I've seen Sanjuro already.

bravo on the Kubrick--both of those films are incredible.

lets see. for another fantastic kurosawa film, check out rashomon. the case artwork is really cool as well--done by kent williams who also designed the artwork for 'lord of the flies'.

if you like war flicks, check out the thin red line. beautifully shot, I actually enjoy that one more than 'saving private ryan' which overshadowed TTRL's release. and then if you like the style, check out malick's other criterion films such as badlands (I highly recommend!) and days of heaven (a bit of a slow-burner, but beautiful film nonetheless).

if you're looking into some more foreign films, check out some of the other heavy-hitters like ingmar bergman (the seventh seal, wild strawberries, etc) or some French new-wave like godard (vivre sa vie, breathless) or truffaut (the 400 blows). the Japanese new-wave films are great too if you want some yakuza stuff (tokyo drifter, pale flower, etc)

some random ones I thought were great: revanche definitely one of my favorites, holy shit intense, but careful to stray from spoilers; a night to remember a film about the titanic from the 1950's that I swear puts the James Cameron one to shame; secret sunshine incredible character study from korea about a woman going through a crisis of faith; the last emperor bio-pic about emperor pu yi; and anything by wes anderson if you like quirky comedies (rushmore and the royal tenenbaums are my recommended starting points there)

http://www.criterion.com/my_criterion/142766-olsvik/collection

I'll take some recs too if you are up for it.

Didn't care for the Red Shoes (picked it up used somewhere) and I've seen Sanjuro already.

If you like the killing you would probably like night of the hunter. Its a good noir piece and robert mitcum gives a hell of a performance.

I always find it so hard to reccommend criterion releases because they always release such a wide range of stuff.

Some personal favorites are:

-Peeping tom

-Third Man

-Rebecca/spellbound/notorious/lady vanishes (all the hitchcock stuff they put out is fantastic)

-8/12

-down by law

-throne of blood

-band of outsiders

-knife in the water

-slacker

-the whole cassavetes box set

Everything user Batman mentioned are all classics and worth owning as well.

This thread reminded me that I have a bunch of Criterion laserdiscs I picked up a while back that I should dig out just for fun.

Criterion had some crazy titles back in the laserdisc days. Halloween, Ghostbusters, Aliens, among others. Stuff they would never in a million years be able to get now that collecting movies isn't a niche thing anymore.

not quite criterion related, but lars von trier's two-part film 'nymphomaniac' is being released today on Blu-ray. only $14.99 for both parts (4 hours total) at Best Buy! apparently LEGO is making a game based on the movie as well ;)

pu6uze4e.jpg

This is the best thing ever.

I already got Nymphomaniac from BB last Thursday, but it was 17.99 not 14.99

bogus...

THAT'S bogus?? I bought it at FYE for fucking $35. I got it 5 days early but still...

I'm not well-versed in how the Criterion operates exactly, but is it getting harder and harder for them to find more content to release?

From what it seems they are still plugging away at stuff. There is a ton of international that they are putting out from all different decades and really drill down on a directors works. There has to be like 10+ kirosawa releases alone.

Also they have been trying to give other films a proper release. For example the following,repo man, mystery train releases. Upping the quality as well as putting on some extra features where alot of the original non criterion presses were pretty bare bones with content.