The Criterion Collection Thread (24 hour flash sale at criterion.com)

Yesssssss.

I'm a big fan of Defoe and Von Trier. I saw it when it came out and it fucked me up for awhile, haha.

That's some pretty fucking intense wood chopping! Loved that movie.

Oh seriously! I thought the acting was as phenomenal as the writing and cinematography. I wanted to watch it again right after it ended! And the ending is seriously a damn cliff hanger but it's perfect.

What are some of your favorites? I'm trying to compile a list for the next flash sale. So far I've got:

By Brakhage 

A Hollis Frampton Odyssey

La Jetee/Sans Soleil

Autumn Sonata

I'm a big fan of Defoe and Von Trier. I saw it when it came out and it fucked me up for awhile, haha.

Oh seriously! I thought the acting was as phenomenal as the writing and cinematography. I wanted to watch it again right after it ended! And the ending is seriously a damn cliff hanger but it's perfect.

What are some of your favorites? I'm trying to compile a list for the next flash sale. So far I've got:

By Brakhage 

A Hollis Frampton Odyssey

La Jetee/Sans Soleil

Autumn Sonata

it's so hard, because there's so much diversity in the collection!

kurosawa and bergman are essential, so seven samurai or yojimbo/sanjuro, and the seventh seal or wild strawberries.

i love me some terrence malick, and you can't go wrong w/ badlands or the thin red line. 

also love me some wes anderson. rushmore, the life aquatic, or the royal tenenbaums. 

others i loved: house, secret sunshine, solaris, paris texas, the last emperor, the double life of veronique, paths of glory, fish tank, walkabout, frances ha

there's so so much though--i just hit 100 releases in my criterion collection and i can't think of one that i didn't like.

Bergman is my favorite thus far. I have The Seventh Seal, Wild Strawberries, The Magician, and Persona. I definitely need to pick up Wes Anderson's flicks, haven't seen one I don't like.

Funny you mentioned Solaris and The Double Life of Veronique - I almost bought those 2 during the flash sale. I'm skeptical of Solaris because I might think it's too cheesy because I haven't seen it yet. I really like the idea of the film, but sometimes I can't watch old sci-fi because I think it looks bad.

Just saw 'Blow Out' for the first time and really liked it. Def going to grab the blu ray next time around along with Naked Lunch.

Seconds also interested me by the cover art alone. Anyone see it? I still get Netflix discs, so I go that route before I buy, but Seconds isn't available. I'd prob dig it based on the good reviews and the trailer I saw.

• 3 months later...