to open or not open...so long, astoria.

While I do appreciate the smart-ass sentiment, there are realistically a lot of factors to consider. How old is the car? What kind of car is it? What condition is it in? How secure are you with your masculinity?

Like buying a record, I feel like it doesn't matter. A car is for driving, a guitar is for playing, a record is for listening. It is supremely stupid to buy something just to own it rather than using for its intended purpose*. An old record is not an 'investment opportunity', and if you like showing that you like a band, there's a myriad of poster/t-shirt/concert/tattoo options available to you.

*and I'm not talking about signed stuff or collector's memorabilia - you obviously aren't going to play catch with an autographed ball or wear a game-worn jersey to the bar. I don't really understand the point of that stuff either, but whatever.

How do you even know their money is "hard earned"?

How do you know it isn't? We could do this all night.

What if their parents or family just hands them money to throw away on records so they can collect dust on a shelf? What if they sold drugs to impressionable young kids?

What if, what if, what if.

What if all of the above is true? - is bitching about it going to enrich your life or his? What if he bought it to flip? What if he throws it in an oven and shapes a dip bowl out of it? I don't see how his record or what he chooses to do with it effects your life, or anyone else's here at VC.

And for what it's worth, I've never seen an episode of Dexter in my life. But your praise of my three-minute Photoshop work is flattering, truly.

You have no clue...sounds about right.

question the what ifs all you want... but the dude came here asking US if he should open his record. from the very beginning, it is clear as day that none of your hypotheticals apply.

and im calling BULLSHIT on your denial of a dexter ripoff. ive never seen an episode either, but its still blatant what youve done.

What if all of the above is true? - is bitching about it going to enrich your life or his? What if he bought it to flip? What if he throws it in an oven and shapes a dip bowl out of it? I don't see how his record or what he chooses to do with it effects your life, or anyone else's here at VC.

I feel like you overestimate the amount of energy and care it takes for someone to read a post on a message board and write something in response.

question the what ifs all you want... but the dude came here asking US if he should open his record. from the very beginning, it is clear as day that none of your hypotheticals apply.

and im calling BULLSHIT on your denial of a dexter ripoff. ive never seen an episode either, but its still blatant what youve done.

Though no one can say for certain what scenarios hold true with the OP, I do agree that the existence of this thread seems trivial. If not completely unnecessary.

I also don't believe that Dexter has royalties over any gritty or splatter-based design. My signature is simple; records that I currently dig on, I sub in and out of a vector. I could see how the red nature of my last choice could be perceived as blood. So I updated it. For you.

I feel like you overestimate the amount of energy and care it takes for someone to read a post on a message board and write something in response.

Could be. I sometimes forget how nonchalant I am about the internet. At least in comparison to the majority of people who have little else to do than get up-in-arms over message board topics. M'bad.

because first and foremost records are intended to be heard. not to sit on a bookshelf and collect dust. they aren't baseball cards. it's like buying a new/vintage guitar only to have it sit in a case in your closet. total beanie baby mentality from a new jack generation mindset.

buy records, listen to them. enjoy!

Really? That's why so many people HAVE to buy every color variant... So they can spin every color? I believe there might just be a few collectors on this board.

Lol. I love the vinyl police in this thread. You guys are so cute!

I'd rather be cute than stupid. Buying a record and not opening or listening to it is like hanging onto those little pizza box props that keeps the cardboard off the cheese. Sure it's associated with something you love, but if it's not being used than it's a worthless piece of plastic that only a weirdo would deem valuable.

I'd rather be cute than stupid. Buying a record and not opening or listening to it is like hanging onto those little pizza box props that keeps the cardboard off the cheese. Sure it's associated with something you love, but if it's not being used than it's a worthless piece of plastic that only a weirdo would deem valuable.

Totally agree with this logic... except pizza box-props don't fetch hundreds of dollars on eBay if they're in mint condition. Other than that, you've nailed it.

This quote applies to so many threads on this board lately.

Pretty much.

I also love the dynamic of people who get uppity at the "vinyl police"...wouldn't that just make them the "n00b hobbyist police"?

Also LOFL at dude who changed his sig.