What would you do if you anticipated at least 2 moves overseas?

If you anticipated a move overseas for several years and then back again, which of the following would you do? Let's say you have 400 LPs.

a. ask a friend to store your collection and set-up for several years (and maybe take your favorite records with you).

b. Ship it all with you.

c. convert to digital. no more wasting money on collecting and enjoy all your music in your pocket. but good-bye sweet sound of vinyl :(

d. other: _________________________________________________________________________________

Depends...

Who will actually be moving them? What are they going to be moved in? Boxes? Crates? Steel heavily padded box? How much do you care about the cover condition? How long away? Do you have some that you don't care about? If so what are they? Is this the only thing you are leaving behind?

I put them in storage for My one year move. But three, I probably would have taken everything with me. Like I said. It just depends, but I would at least store them

It might be a 2 to 5 year move. I love my record collection, but I love my wife more, and find it immature to let my hobby stand in the way of our future.

But damn, I don't want to impose my collection on anyone, shipping it around is costly (and maybe a distraction), but nothing sounds as good as vinyl. I miss it with every mp3 on the ipod.

If you're already moving all of your things overseas, it would not be unreasonable, nor that insanely expensive to add your record collection along with the microwave and sofa. If you love your wife enough to pack up and leave everything (which is honestly pretty amazing), she will understand how much you love your collection and will understand the expense of taking it along with you. 2-5 years is a long time; if you sell your collection off I guarantee you will regret it; maybe not now, but in time. Spend the money and take it along with you.

If you're already moving all of your things overseas, it would not be unreasonable, nor that insanely expensive to add your record collection along with the microwave and sofa. If you love your wife enough to pack up and leave everything (which is honestly pretty amazing), she will understand how much you love your collection and will understand the expense of taking it along with you. 2-5 years is a long time; if you sell your collection off I guarantee you will regret it; maybe not now, but in time. Spend the money and take it along with you.

First off, I really appreciate everyone's responses.

We're not taking any furniture. It's more affordable to sell IKEA stuff and rebuy then to move it around. Thinks I would need shipped are my computer, minus ion machine, clothing.

I'm going to study, so I feel that I could be best not to have records. But I recently sold a chunk of my collection (variants) and I can't say that I don't miss them. I've also rebought quite a few.

But the freedom of having no records is so enticing.

I've said it before, I'm not selling my records for anything. I'll eventually get rid of them as I see fit. If my girl asked me to get rid of them, I wouldn't. I guess there's one exception: if my son was sick and needed surgery and we could only get money from things like records...

You don't have any parents or relatives near by where you could store things?

Sell everything. You'll be surprised how little you miss having all that "stuff." If you do miss it, rebuy the important stuff when you're settled down- my guess is that you'll miss none of it more than you'd miss the money you spent storing it. Yes, it's a hassle to sell and pack and ship and all that, but you'll make money to facilitate the move. Once you're over there and immersed, you won't miss them like you did when you were here. They're just things. Simplify.

This is from a guy who has sold off almost half of his collection (mostly on eBay), including some of the first and most "personally significant" records I ever bought, over the past couple of years. I don't miss any of it and I'll use the money to fund new experiences that I'll never forget. Sounds like that's kinda what you're doing anyway so go whole hog.

Just my opinion, of course, and I don't know you or how important your things are to you. But from personal experience, that's my stance.

i am doing this at the end of the year. Moving out of country. I am selling every single record i own.

along with pretty much every single other item that i own.

some of the records are some of the more important material possessions i own at this point.

but part of the reason for the move is to change that.

Pretty much every record can be re-found down the road anyway if you did decide to come back and get back into "the hobby"