$150 Audiophile Turntable: This could be interesting

Just pulled the trigger and submitted a pledge for the limited edition in green. I've been on the fence since the funding for this started in December and was on the fence until just now. Looking forward to an upgrade from my AT-LP60.. I looked through some threads on the AT-LP60 on this board and the comments I saw pretty much made my decision for me.

Haha, just responded to your Vinyl Brahs post. 

Just pulled the trigger and submitted a pledge for the limited edition in green. I've been on the fence since the funding for this started in December and was on the fence until just now. Looking forward to an upgrade from my AT-LP60.. I looked through some threads on the AT-LP60 on this board and the comments I saw pretty much made my decision for me.

I'm pretty excited about this. I have been putting off buying a new turntable for a long time, and I feel like this is win-win. I win, because I get a decent new turntable for a good price, and they win, because I gave them money.

Plus, since it's paid for now, and I won't see it until May, I'll forget about until it comes in the mail in May. Which will be a good day.

• 4 months later...

http://gettheorbit.com/

Good for them for getting this in to production and all, but at $279 with an OM5e for the plus model, you might as well just save and get the Debut Carbon, in my opinion

Only $179 for the regular which I think would be the route most budget conscious people will turn to.  Plus model wouldn't make sense for me either at that price point, with the Carbon roaming around out there.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd like to see how the early adopters like them after they get shipped in a few months. But why the comparison to the Carbon, which is 43% higher in price? I guess what I mean is.....for $279, are there better options?

You're spending about $100 more and getting a significantly better tonearm and cartridge. The cart alone would normally be a $100 upgrade. Not to mention that while the final retail version isn't in anyone's hands yet, all the promos I've seen so far make this table look like a Boyscout craft project somebody made and spray painted in their garage. 

• 2 months later...

"Dear Kickstarter Limited Edition backers,

While Orbit shipping has begun, we are experiencing supplier-related delays with the acrylic platters that are included with the Kickstarter Limited Edition turntable. The short version of the story is that our former supplier not only failed to produce the platter to spec, but was also unable to fix their mistake. Aesthetically, the platters they delivered to us had poorly finished edges and unsightly marks from the manufacturing process. But even more concerning was the fact that these platters were too thin and the spindle hole was too wide. The pictures below show the unacceptable quality of the platters we received.

Good platter: http://i.imgur.com/ZmkvCb8.jpg

Bad platter: http://i.imgur.com/PSYCw3F.jpg

The good news is that we have found a new supplier - they are local so we will be able closely oversee the production process and ensure that there are no further delays. Nevertheless, we realistically expect that it will be another 4 weeks before all of our new acrylic platters are ready to ship.

We realize this news comes as a disappointment - nobody is more disappointed and frustrated with this situation than we are. As a sign of our appreciation for your continued patience, we are offering our Kickstarter Limited backers 50% off the forthcoming Orbit Cue Lever, which we plan to begin selling once we are caught up with turntable orders. Here is a look at what we have designed: http://i.imgur.com/cZqgNuG.jpg. This lever will be easy to install and will be compatible with all Orbit turntables. Your discount coupon will be included with your turntable."

• 3 weeks later...

I see on their twitter that people have started receiving them. I'm dying to read or hear a professional review. I was really looking to upgrade my AT LP120 with a project debut carbon until I saw the U Turn was upcoming. Holding out til I start seeing side by side comparisons.