$150 Audiophile Turntable: This could be interesting

I think I remember reading somewhere that the ground wire is built into the turntable or something like that. Is this true?

Yup, the tt is grounded internally.  No external ground wire.

I'm still torn between this and the Debut Carbon honestly.  The DC has a better cart and tonearm, but I do like that the speed can be changed on the Orbit w/o having to lift up the platter.  Speaking of the platter, if I went with the DC, I'd likely upgrade to acrylic putting the cost at nearly double that of the Orbit version w/ acrylic.  

Any other thoughts from those who's Orbit's have arrived?  :)

• 2 weeks later...

there was one a couple pages ago

I like it more and more as I keep using it.  It really does seem like a great deal for the money.  My only complaint is that the dust cover doesn't balance well when it's up for flipping over/switching records, but that's not a huge deal.

This is hardly a review....

This is hardly a review....

I posted much more detailed thoughts a few pages earlier.  I will quote them below for your convenience.

Got mine today! Here's a pic: http://instagram.com/p/fdj3bNhpQo/

Some initial thoughts:

-Setting this up was stupidly easy.  Granted, I've never put a turntable together out of the box before, but I expected more assembly than this.  Just put the platter and slipmat on, put the belt around it, plug stuff in, and play.  I don't know for sure if the counterweight was set up perfectly out of the box or not (I'd appreciate some advice on how to tell), but it seems fine to me so far.  No skips or anything yet.

-My first impression of the sound is that it's really good.  Comparable to my Technics SL-QD33, at least, and far better than my ex-girlfriend's Crosley and the Denon DP-29 at my friends' place.  This is definitely a cut above the cheap stuff.

-Plays well on both speeds.  No weird pitch wobbling or anything so far

-It does sort of bug me that the platter doesn't stop spinning when the arm is in its clip, but I don't know if that's a standard thing or not.

-This is my first experience with a table where I've had to manually change the belt to a different part of the spool.  I don't mind it too much, but the belt feels a little fragile to my fingers.  Again, maybe that's normal.

-I wish I could actually A/B this with a Carbon to give people some better feedback on that comparison.

-I wonder how many times I can listen to the A side of this Pet Symmetry 7" on each turntable for comparison's sake before my housemates wonder what I'm doing.

-It's nice and heavy.  Doesn't feel cheap or plasticky in any way.

Disclaimer: I don't claim to have a trained ear for this stuff in any way.  

The rest of my setup, for reference:

Nad 7140 Receiver

Technics SH80-57 graphic EQ

Boston HD5 speakers

Feel free to ask any questions you have, and I'll answer them to the best of my ability.

Is it really that hard to switch the belt w/o damaging it?

It's not hard to switch without damaging, but there is no groove on the platter so it's kind of a pain in the ass to switch back and forth.

Yay! Got a shipping confirmation for my TT with acrylic platter. I wonder what my serial number will be. They said the serial would reflect the order that people ordered them.

Where is the serial number at?

Yay! Got a shipping confirmation for my TT with acrylic platter. I wonder what my serial number will be. They said the serial would reflect the order that people ordered them.

Interested to hear your thoughts on the version with the acrylic platter! Really thinking about grabbing one to support these guys.

Yup, the tt is grounded internally.  No external ground wire.

I'm still torn between this and the Debut Carbon honestly.  The DC has a better cart and tonearm, but I do like that the speed can be changed on the Orbit w/o having to lift up the platter.  Speaking of the platter, if I went with the DC, I'd likely upgrade to acrylic putting the cost at nearly double that of the Orbit version w/ acrylic.  

Any other thoughts from those who's Orbit's have arrived?  :)

The basic  DC at $399 is quite a bit more expensive, did you mean the Project Essential by chance ? 

If it were my choice I would stretch the budget a little and buy the Essential and upgrade the platter.    My issue with U-Turn is I don't believe their business model will survive, even in the short run,  without an large additional infusion of capital.  They just aren't making enough money to make a run of it.  Which is why they had to utilize crowd funding.   It will likely be almost impossible to get parts in the future. 

I also don't understand their design, using a uni-pivot tonearm without a cueing mechanism will be a real challenge for a lot of consumers. If they were trying to make a bare bones table they should have made the dust cover optional and added the cueing as a basic feature. 

If  I were looking for a $150 table, I would would be looking at used Duals, Techniques,  and HKs ..........................