$150 Audiophile Turntable: This could be interesting

First 'legit' review? As if I wasn't already sold. Ill definitely be making this purchase sooner than later. Starts on page 35 in the PDF file.

http://www.tonepublications.com/MAGPDF/TA_59.pdf

Coming from ToneAudio, who usually gush over every product they evaluate, I didn't find this review all that positive.  At one point they criticized the sound quality but said it made up for the deficiencies with "character".  Whatever  the heck that means. 

Gonna buy one of these very soon.

I can't find any Airmotiv 4s online, so can anyone direct towards some good powered speakers in the price range of 200-300? I will be getting this table with the Ortofon Omega cart and the Art DJPre pre-amp.

Try Audio Engine 2+, they are around $250 and sound pretty nice.   Also , Focal XS are really nice at $299. 

I'm still a little on the fence about this. I have an older Audio Technica ATPL120 I'm thinking of selling for Xmas money, but I'm going to want to replace it next year at some point.

Unless you want to pay around $400 for the basic carbon debut, I suggest you get the Orbit. You can't do much better for the price!

Yes. There's always room for improvement. My thinking was that if it sounds this good with a $60 cartridge, imagine how much better it would be with a $300 cartridge. :) I'd like to upgrade but I'm completely okay with how it is now.

Oddly enough, I would recommend another $60 cartridge. Get the shure m97xe, and upgrade the stylus to the JICO SAS (about $150ish). Prepare to have your mind blown. Outperforms any other cartridge under the $1500 mark IMO, and many above it.

This would make for a very inexpensive and yet absolutely KILLER setup.

Oddly enough, I would recommend another $60 cartridge. Get the shure m97xe, and upgrade the stylus to the JICO SAS (about $150ish). Prepare to have your mind blown. Outperforms any other cartridge under the $1500 mark IMO, and many above it.

This would make for a very inexpensive and yet absolutely KILLER setup.

I'm dying to know what cartridges you compared this to.

That is a very bold statement! I'm also curious to know what cartridges, of the hundreds under $1500, that you're tried.

Well I haven't done any direct comparisons (who really would have that liberty) so much as online research and comparisons between specs and charts, frequency response, etc. but really, I have faith that in that price range you could not find a better cartridge/stylus combo if accuracy and detail is your goal. Some people prefer something a little more colored, warm and lively, and that's fine. This setup is very good quality but also very analytical. Not the best choice if that's not your goal.

I think it's pretty well established that the v15 and all it's cousins have historically been noted for their near ruler-flat response but also their terribly undetailed and uninvolving sound. It is used as reference in many mastering studios but not in many true hi-fi setups. The m97xe is the modern day equivalent of that line, although still a little dead sounding. The JICO upgrade makes a world of difference and takes it to a whole new level. Very high compliance and small profile, basically the complete opposite of what shure provides stock for the cartridge. It's pretty much as perfect a cut of a diamond you could get for a stylus.

I would be very willing to post samples if you would be interested.

So far the only thing I don't like about this TT is the belt falls off the acrylic platter. It doesn't happen when it's playing but sometimes I will simply turn it off and it will fall off. Or when I put a record on if I barely touch it it happens. It would be cool if there was a small groove around it for the belt to stay in.

Someone asked them about this on their facebook and they responded "There is no groove (this would actually have a negative impact on wow & flutter). The motor's natural speed consistency and the belt's tension ensures that the belt stays in the same place when the table is running." 

Seems like a lot of people have that problem and it sounds like the solution is in finding the perfect position.