USPS getting rid of mediamail

The post woman that comes to my work daily and also delivers my mail told me this morning tjat by the end of 2012 the USPS will eliminate media mail as a shipping option.

I'm just passing on what she told me.

If this is true, I feel like there has to be a way to show USPS how many people use media mail.

Any ideas as to why they would eliminate mediamail?

Ok it seems theres a new thread about this every couple weeks. I work for the USPS and there has honest to god been rumours of us doing away with media mail for 3-5 years and every year "is the year it's going to happen".

Do I think its going to happen eventually down the road? Yes.

Do I belive its going to happen by the end of 2012? I'd say theres about a 10 percent chance of that happening so soon.

Guest deathbydrums

why is it that most posts by new people are always so horribly written? do people come here to learn english?

It'd be a cool place to learn English.

Would you seriously think that by showing them how many people use it they would keep it?

Its is still a service needed. For an organization that is essentially bankrupt, does it make sense to charge 3 bucks for something they can charge 7 for?

This is simple economics at its finest. And with it being a service that people will still use regardless of cost, its not like they are going to lose 50% of the mail because of the increase.. Mailing a package is not like mailing a useless letter in 2012.

With that said, they really need to get rid of Saturday delivery and post office being open on Saturday.

If they're going to do away with it, isn't it likely that not that many people are using it? The death of physical media is pretty real, and while I'm sure its going to take time I doubt the handful of collectors and others who use it will make any kind of impact on a huge and struggling company. If they do away with it, I doubt it'll be so soon.

obviously this only affects lps but

ups is about the same as priority i think.

google search on this subject revealed no information. pretty sure this is bullshit.

if it goes through, this is going to kill small labels. can't see paying $10 in shipping for a $12 record. we'll be forced to make bulk orders from distros, etc.