Streetlight Manifesto - The Hands That Thieve

wow $300 for everything goes numb, what a deal. 

Yeah, I know exactly what you mean and feel the same way.

But it sold for $300 last week, which means someone bid $297 and someone else topped that.

I was browsing my collection thinking, "How can get $600 this week?" I doubt it will sell, and hope it doesn't, but I surely would rather have $250 and a repress than the original.

Yeah, I know exactly what you mean and feel the same way.

But it sold for $300 last week, which means someone bid $297 and someone else topped that.

Dude, there's only one person idiotic enough to pay $300 for this album. You of all people should know how shill bidding works.

And even if there were two people willing to pay that, ONE TIME, it doesn't automatically mean it's worth that same amount now for everyone. But I know that's how you're justifying it. Good luck with your $1000 record, or whatever.

Dude, there's only one person idiotic enough to pay $300 for this album. You of all people should know how shill bidding works.

And even if there were two people willing to pay that, ONE TIME, it doesn't automatically mean it's worth that same amount now for everyone. But I know that's how you're justifying it. Good luck with your $1000 record, or whatever.

Didn't I give you $50 for a $7-$15 record? You had no problem accepting my money then, why be hard on me now?

If someone wants to pay $300 for this, by all means they can pay me $300. If not, I can enjoy having it. I wouldn't sell this for less because that's the value it has for me sentimentally. However, I would prefer it on black.

Didn't I give you $50 for a $7-$15 record? You had no problem accepting my money then, why be hard on me now?

If someone wants to pay $300 for this, by all means they can pay me $300. If not, I can enjoy having it. I wouldn't sell this for less because that's the value it has for me sentimentally. However, I would prefer it on black.

I honestly have no clue what you are referring to. The only transaction we've had was when I held a record you wanted to trade for 3 months for when you moved back from Japan to avoid international shipping. I have no regrets about that. Everything I sell on here, I sell for what I paid. Sometimes I do overpay for things after market but am always clear about that. I do this to help other collectors like me not get screwed by eBay prices, and because when I first joined on proboards I was able to grab some records I was having a hard time finding and got hooked up, and have been paying it forward ever since. I do also sell on eBay certain things I try to get more $$ for, but I don't come around here advertising my auctions because I don't think it really betters this community in any way, and to me it's just bad form, especially with the kind of markup you are asking for. it's clear no one on this site will pay that much for that album.

Onto your next point. "eBay market value" and sentimental value are two completely different things. It's quite convinient that your sentimental value matches up exactly with what the last auction sold for. That's why I'm giving you a hard time. I just personally think eBay market value is what kills record collecting for me in a way, and it's sometimes just insane the way prices fluctuate on that site. Part of it has to do with idiots who don't know better, but also shill bidding is a big problem that's known to be very common practice on there. Every other auction for that record has gone for under $100. I'm not saying for you to sell it at cost, but there are people on here that would really love to get that album for.. well, for not $300. I'm not saying to sell it for cost, but there's clearly a better way to hook someone up. Or not, and just keep it on eBay, and hopefully some dope will buy it.

Please don't take any of this too personally, I'm using this mostly as a means to vent my frustration about this all-too-common situation, because to me this is just the epitome of trying to maximize profit based on the eBay market. Which there's technically nothing wrong with, I just personally think it's a little douchey.

If it's black, I'll trade you for the green.

If I get black, you'll be the first to know.

Are you aware of who supplies interpunk with the streetlight things?

It's victory. You are still giving money directly to victory by ordering from interpunk

Shh let me have the illusion :P. I guess, if anything I'm giving them a little less money.

I honestly have no clue what you are referring to. The only transaction we've had was when I held a record you wanted to trade for 3 months for when you moved back from Japan to avoid international shipping. I have no regrets about that. Everything I sell on here, I sell for what I paid. Sometimes I do overpay for things after market but am always clear about that. I do this to help other collectors like me not get screwed by eBay prices, and because when I first joined on proboards I was able to grab some records I was having a hard time finding and got hooked up, and have been paying it forward ever since. I do also sell on eBay certain things I try to get more $$ for, but I don't come around here advertising my auctions because I don't think it really betters this community in any way, and to me it's just bad form, especially with the kind of markup you are asking for. it's clear no one on this site will pay that much for that album.

Onto your next point. "eBay market value" and sentimental value are two completely different things. It's quite convinient that your sentimental value matches up exactly with what the last auction sold for. That's why I'm giving you a hard time. I just personally think eBay market value is what kills record collecting for me in a way, and it's sometimes just insane the way prices fluctuate on that site. Part of it has to do with idiots who don't know better, but also shill bidding is a big problem that's known to be very common practice on there. Every other auction for that record has gone for under $100. I'm not saying for you to sell it at cost, but there are people on here that would really love to get that album for.. well, for not $300. I'm not saying to sell it for cost, but there's clearly a better way to hook someone up. Or not, and just keep it on eBay, and hopefully some dope will buy it.

Please don't take any of this too personally, I'm using this mostly as a means to vent my frustration about this all-too-common situation, because to me this is just the epitome of trying to maximize profit based on the eBay market. Which there's technically nothing wrong with, I just personally think it's a little douchey.

Sorry, I confused you with yrb. My bad.

>The only transaction we've had was when I held a record you wanted to trade for 3 months for when you moved back from Japan to avoid international shipping. I have no regrets about that.

Crap, I don't remember this. Sorry, a hectic time for me. Did I ever follow through? Which record was it?

>Onto your next point. "eBay market value" and sentimental value are two completely different things. It's quite convinient that your sentimental value matches up exactly with what the last auction sold for. That's why I'm giving you a hard time. I just personally think eBay market value is what kills record collecting for me in a way, and it's sometimes just insane the way prices fluctuate on that site. Part of it has to do with idiots who don't know better, but also shill bidding is a big problem that's known to be very common practice on there. Every other auction for that record has gone for under $100. I'm not saying for you to sell it at cost, but there are people on here that would really love to get that album for.. well, for not $300. I'm not saying to sell it for cost, but there's clearly a better way to hook someone up. Or not, and just keep it on eBay, and hopefully some dope will buy it.

Oh, I completely agree, don't get me wrong. I really believed that the market value shot up to $300, so I thought it would give me an opportunity to get money while I don't mind waiting for the eventual repress. Anyway, I took down the record. Also, the last 4 records I've purchased have been between $350 and $450. Once you start paying this much for records, it doesn't seem like a big deal to sell something for $300.

>Please don't take any of this too personally, I'm using this mostly as a means to vent my frustration about this all-too-common situation, because to me this is just the epitome of trying to maximize profit based on the eBay market. Which there's technically nothing wrong with, I just personally think it's a little douchey.

You bring up some excellent points and it had a lot to do with my decision to take down the EGN listing. I hate it when people artificially increase the market price. However, if someone is willing to pay $300 for that record, then I'd be happy to sell it. Supply meeting demand.

Are you aware of who supplies interpunk with the streetlight things?

It's victory. You are still giving money directly to victory by ordering from interpunk

No matter where you buy, and this would have included the RISC store, the majority of the money would go to Victory anyway right? The problem was that Victory was shorting SM the royalties they make from each sale, so the only way to guarantee those artists their money was to buy it through RISC or at shows. Which neither of these outlets will likely ever have these items anyway, and with them also withholding our preorder money and generally being just shitty at customer service, what can we do?

I want streetlight to make money. But at this point I'm fed up with the RISC store and I'm probably going to look elsewhere for this record. At least I can make it up to streetlight by buying $200 worth of shit at their farewell tour. And I can also keep telling myself that with all this legal heat on Victory it probably isn't as easy for them to be hiding transaction records from SM's lawyers anyway. Probably.

If you go on the RISC site, you could choose what you wanted to do with your money, if you wanted your money back you could opt for that or you could choose to let them keep the money and use it in their legal fees.

Do you have a link for that? I can't find it on their site.  Also it bugs me that they are still selling the Streetlight version on vinyl, even though the FAQ says they won't be getting any vinyl from victory at all.