Is paypal the norm these days?

aregular

PayPal has been the defacto for at least at least the last five years.

The issue you cited is more of a seller/buyer issue, if you sell smart that won't happen to you. It happened to me once before I kept better track of my shit so I was covered if someone was being a douche.

In your case, what has "selling smart" looked like? Genuinely interested as I'm still learning about selling.

scanning and emailing all receipts around proof of purchase of postage, proof of date of postage, proof of contents of package, proof of state of contents of package.

If all of these items are emailed to the buyer prior to/at the time of shipment, it can be used as evidence to your side of a dispute if needed. Fail all of that, make sure to add insurance. Haven't lost one since, but do be fair, I haven't had many disputes.

For the most part there is no getting around paypal.

Also semi related. Has anyone noticed all the changes eBay made for selling records? They have a place for jacket grade, record grade, record label.

I'm going to continue and not grade them because buyers will just try to fuck me if I don't grade to their standards.

in this day and age i'd be really suspicious of anyone who requests or only accepts cash through the mail. aside from the greedy and shady USPS workers, as the buyer your ass isn't covered in case the seller just steals your money.

the simpsons episode comes to mind where Bart's class takes a field trip to the post office, the postmaster opens a door and there are a bunch of mailmen sitting in a circle opening up mail looking for birthday/anniversary/wedding gifts.

PqyPal fees have been at 3% for at least the last year, I know. Now, constantly raising fees is eBay's game. PayPal has to make money somehow, and you have few other options, especially cheaper ones. I've never had a major problem with PayPal. Any time something came up, they were easy to deal with.

How dare they run a business!

No I get it. Obviously that's how they make money but that's why prices rise and people complain paying 12-14 for a record.

Plus there are too many fees. First they take 3% then if you mail through them they charge again (it's cheaper to just go to the post office). If you receive or send over a certain amount they charge again. And to transfer funds to your bank account they charge yet again.

It's just annoying getting fees for every little thing it's almost to the point of ticketmaster rediculousness.