WordPress theme for cataloging records

moegly

If anyone is interested, I just finished developing a WordPress theme for cataloging records called RecordPress. You just enter in the information about your records and the theme will alphabetize, count, and cleaning display your collection.

I used Dead Format, but I didn't necessarily like that it has no structure to entering things in and I wanted to have my own url and dedicated site too, so I decided to build a WordPress theme for cataloging. You can see it in action at www.moeglydesign.com/records, or Charlie Wagers, who designed the theme, has his at www.charliewagers.com/records. You can import a .csv file from Excel, Google Docs, Discogs, or any other platform to move your collection over. Being on WordPress you can have a custom url, custom header, and customize the layout or CSS however you want.

I just launched it a few days ago, but I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts on it.

Thanks!

Edit (11/27/12): There was a little miscommunication on this thread about the fact that this idea was inspired by Brian Stowell's Play this Record, and that we discussed the idea with him much before the theme was even started. So you'll see some confusion and accusations, and then Brian and Charlie clear things up in their posts afterwards.

374513_292894537489040_1135288218_n.png

Well I appreciate your honesty. It just took me a few months to develop it and a lot of my time, so I was basically hoping to make some extra money so I could afford to buy a few records each month. I hope that's not too much to ask. Most custom WordPress themes are $30 to $50 on themeforest.net so I didn't think $10 was too bad.

To anyone who does pick up a copy, post your collections in this thread. I'd love to see how people use it.

CHARLIE WAGERS RULESSSSSSS!!!

Haha ya Charlie is a good dude. We've been working on a lot of projects together, and he's the one who designed the logo and layout for the theme actually.

Nice job Nicholas. As a developer myself I know how involved Wordpress can be. Looks like an excel import extension is needed :)

Thanks dude! Ya if I hear about enough people who have their collection in Excel I'll put a recommendation for a plugin to use.

Nice, I might check it out. Would be nice to have my collection on my own server but could be a pain to transfer everything

What do you have your collection in now?

ahhhh shit, ill be buying this next month.

Thanks dude!!

I think someone owes someone some money for a design before charging for this.that being said. i'd be willing to beta test. ;)

Charlie, the one who designed it, and Brian are pals. They've talked about this theme for a bit now and Brian was given a copy for beta testing awhile ago. It's largely inspired by Play this Record and that's been noted in the release of it (http://www.charliewa...ordpress-theme/). And it's only $10! haha I put about 30 hours of development into it!

I'm sure if you hooked up VC With a discount code (even if it's just $2 or $3) a lot more people would be keen to try it. People here love discounts, no matter how small it is.

That said, id be down to try this. Can't swing $10 ATM though, but possibly soon cause I still don't have a list anywhere.

Charlie, the one who designed it, and Brian are pals. They've talked about this theme for a bit now and Brian was given a copy for beta testing awhile ago. It's largely inspired by Play this Record and that's been noted in the release of it (http://www.charliewa...ordpress-theme/). And it's only $10! haha I put about 30 hours of development into it!

yeah, you should really give out a bunch or a bunch of discounts first. once word gets out and more people start using it is their tradelist, you'll have no problem selling them. also, it'd probably take me as much time to add everything to my list as it did to take you to develop it. hah.

Largely inspired? It looks like a chintzy carbon copy of PTR. The ability for users to input their entries via WordPress is cool, but the design is practically mirrored. From the centered headers, to the dotted dividers.

Brian did all his entries [and individual page-entries] for PTR. But I created his entire design from scratch. The idea of charging him (or anyone) money for it seemed pretty laughable to me. But if that's truly the case, here, I'd settle for a moderate royalty fee.

Largely inspired? It looks like a chintzy carbon copy of PTR. The ability for users to input their entries via WordPress is cool, but the design is practically mirrored. From the centered headers, to the dotted dividers.Brian did all his entries [and individual page-entries] for PTR. But I created his entire design from scratch. The idea of charging him (or anyone) money for it is pretty laughable. But if that's truly the case, here, I'd settle for a moderate royalty fee.

I'd take it up with Brian and Charlie, they thought it would be cool to have a WordPress theme that served the same functionality as his site. Charlie brought the idea to me and I spent a lot of my time developing it. If people want to develop their own record cataloging theme from scratch then they can do that, no one is being forced to buy the theme so chill my friend.

Lol @ the "nobody is being forced to buy" argument. don't see how that applies in the case of a design being taken from someone.

That's in reference to the comment about "charging money for it is laughable", so if people want it they can buy it, but if they don't then they don't have to buy it. The fact the theme was inspired by Play this Record has already been addressed. It's nice that everyone is very protective of Brian, but this idea was discussed with him before it even began, and he saw the design and the theme awhile ago before it was shown to anyone else. So can we please stop the negativity when this was just supposed to be a fun project and a cool way to catalog records. Let's not have this be an immature negative thread like the rest of the internet's forums.