Recently Viewing

I'm finally doing the "Hitch 53 in 53" marathon – watching all 53 of Hitchcock's feature films in chronological order in 53 days. I'm presently 24 days in and 31 movies down.

Best silents: The Lodger, The Ring, and Blackmail.

Best british talkies: Blackmail, The 39 Steps, Sabotage, and The Lady Vanishes.

Watched two films today: Lifeboat, which is the first of his "single setting" movies and a pretty good wartime allegory; and Spellbound, which is one of my least favorite films of his from the Hollywood period, though it does have the great Dali dream sequence and that amazing point-of-view shot (ha!) at the end.

This is so awesome.  I've seen most of his stuff but there's still a chunk of his earlier ones I haven't seen yet.

I've seen a lot of movies recently so I'll just do a rundown.

The Way, Way Back - I liked it a lot, and I love the writing of Rash/Faxon.  The way that the things jumped between the kid's story and what was going on with his mom I feel could have been done better.

The To Do List - I didn't like it as much as I thought I would.  It had some really funny parts, but some of the humor felt forced and like they were going for quantity over quality.  Also the ending didn't really feel like it tied things up well to me.  

The Conjuring - I thought it was great, and most of all it was very well made.  I really liked the camera work in particular, it was really neat.  I read an article that the family's experience actually happened over the course of 10 years so to me it made sense why things seemed rushed at times.  Would recommend.

Fruitvale Station - Wow, what a film.  It is definitely deserving of the accolades it has received.  The character development and pacing were done very well, and the last 10 minutes of the film is pretty stressful.  A heartbreaking story, but so great.

We're The Millers - I was surprised by this film.  I thought it was going to be so-so, but it ended up being pretty dang funny.  Nick Offerman and Kathryn Hahn as a couple is magnificent.  Easily the standout was Will Poulter, and I could see him going places if he keeps it up.  Plus Emma Roberts <3.  There's been quite a few older people going to see it which I think is because Jennifer Aniston is in it, but I can't see them enjoying it too much.

Just got out of seeing a screener of Kick-Ass 2, and I will say I was fully entertained. I went into it with semi-open arms considering I loved the first one but was also really sad to hear it wasn't Matthew Vaughn directing. Either way this was exactly what it was supposed to be, way more humor but still shocking in ways Kick-Ass is supposed to be. Carey was great and so was everyone else for that matter, really anxious to hear what everyone else thinks.

Just got out of seeing a screener of Kick-Ass 2, and I will say I was fully entertained. I went into it with semi-open arms considering I loved the first one but was also really sad to hear it wasn't Matthew Vaughn directing. Either way this was exactly what it was supposed to be, way more humor but still shocking in ways Kick-Ass is supposed to be. Carey was great and so was everyone else for that matter, really anxious to hear what everyone else thinks.

Did it stay pretty close to the GN? I liked the changes they made in the first one (mostly the rocket launcher scene and getting the girl) but not sure how the second series would translate...

Solid idea. I still have too many "classics" to watch (movies inside the IMDB top 50, let alone top 250) to focus on a single director (even if he is the greatest director ever). Maybe one day.

Yeah I know, so many movies, so little time. I'm missing 23 of the 250 in that IMDb list but I think I can live without seeing most of those. I should probably watch the ones I haven't seen in the top 100 at least, but they don't really appeal to me (Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke and Grave of the Fireflies).

Can definitely recommend the Hitch marathon though. It's a bit hard at first to acclimatise to silent movies, and then after moving into his talkies some of the early films have pretty bad sound which at times makes the dialogue quite unintelligible. But the fact that his movies span five decades from the early 20s to the mid 70s also makes the whole endeavor much more interesting: You're not just seeing Hitchcock evolve from a talented Murnau and Lang-inspired amateur into one of the most accomplished visual storytellers ever, you're also seeing film as a medium mature and lots of technical developments take place, the two major ones of course being sound and color.

This is so awesome.  I've seen most of his stuff but there's still a chunk of his earlier ones I haven't seen yet.

I think there were about ten films of his I hadn't seen before doing this thing. I have one left: Under Capricorn. It's a costume drama I believe, in which he continues to employ the long take technique he used to mimic real time in Rope.

Did it stay pretty close to the GN? I liked the changes they made in the first one (mostly the rocket launcher scene and getting the girl) but not sure how the second series would translate...

Honestly, I wait to read the GN's after I see the movie. I'd rather be disappointed in a GN then a movie which I pay for. But I could see how it wouldn't translate well onto screen but IMPO everything was exactly where it should have been and exactly what it should have been. I can't wait to see what y'all think of it... I have a feeling I would have enjoyed it even more if some poor lady in our theater wouldn't of had a seizure right at the beginning of the climax. Waited for around 30 mins for the paramedics to resolve everything. Took them about a good 6 minutes to pause the movie during the commotion and there was no way to rewind cause it was digital from Universal. Sucked but we understood the just of what was happening at the time just missed some awesome sounding action

Within the past few days I've watched:

- The rest of the Harry Potter films

- Mud

- Child's Play

The last 2 Harry Potter films were definitely my favorites.  I loved how the movies in general though all got "darker" and everything as they went on.

Mud was incredible.  One of the best films I've seen this year for sure.

Child's Play was a lot better than I remembered.  For as ridiculous and silly as the whole premise is, the people in the movie actually acted pretty well.  Definitely not as cheesy as I thought it was.

Finished 'orange is the new black' last nite. Liked it overall. It could diff use a few tweaks before season 2 (assuming/haven't checked if there will be one). Hell i'd watch anything with N. Lyonne and the redhead from that 70s show. Slums of Beverly Hills is prawlly in my top ten. It was one of my first movies to build up during my projectionsts days.

Finished 'orange is the new black' last nite. Liked it overall. It could diff use a few tweaks before season 2 (assuming/haven't checked if there will be one). Hell i'd watch anything with N. Lyonne and the redhead from that 70s show.

More boobs of Laura Prepon couldn't hurt.

I saw The Conjuring last night, definitely a good horror in my opinion. I found the hair part a bit cheesy, but other than that it was pretty solid. It probably helped that I hadn't seen any previews or read anything about it before seeing it. 

Anybody have some good tv show recommendations?  I'm looking into Broadchurch, and it sounds intriguing.  I've been all the way through the following and need something to watch...

The Wire

The League

Carnivale

Downton Abbey

Homeland

Arrested Development

Seinfeld

Workaholics

Wilfred

Game of Thrones

Deadwood

It's Always Sunny