Recently Viewing

Interesting.

Either I misjudged its popularity (mostly was just going by word of mouth and the couple posts about it on here) or Netflix is just saying "you dudes have been terribly wrong about us before and we are just going to keep doing our thing."

I am on like episode 12 of Orange Is The New Black. It is good but holy crap I can't stand the main character and the girl from That 70s Show.

Edit: oh and god damn, that theme song is annoying.

a few weeks after Hemlock Grove came out Netflix said that it was watched by more people than House of Cards.

Orange is the New Black already has a season two order, House of Cards is also shooting a second season right now.

if you really want a good example of Netflix doing what ever they want, how about this.  They ordered 50ish episodes of a cartoon based on Turbo (an animated movie you either don't know about or don't want to see)

Netflix tends to cherry pick the numbers that make its decisions look good. They don't release numbers on the shows (theirs or any others). They do report subscriptions, which increased but not at a faster rate than they did last year with no original programming.

http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/daily-ticker/netflix-original-shows-costly-mistake-124247178.html;_ylt=A2KJ3CSR_P5RLlAAwEeTmYlQ

http://www.thestreet.com/story/11993624/1/netflixs-refusal-to-provide-viewer-numbers-gets-worse.html?cm_ven=RSSFeed

An example of how they could be fibbing the numbers would be if they considered anyone who watched an episode as a viewer in their debut numbers. So maybe a lot of people were hooked on house of cards and gave hemlock grove a chance, but didn't even finish it. Totally theoretical, just saying. When someone reports numbers in that way I just assume they are spinning them the way that they like.

I believe nothing they say except subscription numbers. Shooting a second season of those shows is obviously a good sign, as well as critical reception. Agree with that article -- too soon to say if these things are a success or failure. Their next report of subscription numbers will be huge. Their customers may love them, but they can't justify spending over $100 million for programming to their shareholders for long if they aren't recouping the money. We'll see. I hope they do it. I'm just skeptical.

Downloaded and watched The Conjuring last night.

I'm a big fan of James Wan. I think he's the best director in horror currently. Mostly for the atmosphere and "creep factor" he is able to create in what might otherwise be your standard cookie cutter horror flicks (for a good example of the latter check out the trailer for the new horror movie with Abigail Breslen called "The Haunter". I couldn't even make it through the trailer it's so boring).

The Conjuring had some decent scares/jumps. Most you knew were coming before they happened, but a few were very well done. I think my favorite is when the "spirit" in the house wakes one of the daughters and is supposedly standing behind the door whispering to her. We see everything from her POV but don't see what she is seeing behind the door or hearing what is being said. We just see her freaking out and her sister trying to find what she is upset about. That to me was a great moment. No cheap gags or loud noises, no crappy cgi monster or ghost... just a dark spot that the character sees something malevolent in and we have to use our imaginations as to what is really there.

The part I didn't care for as much was the overall story line. I think it was a little bit too much going on for one "haunting" movie. You had ghost stuff mixed in with poltergeist stuff mixed in with demonic/exorcism stuff mixed in with evil doll stuff. I feel it was tied together well, but it was still a lot going on. With that being said, the creepy doll and haunted clown music box were far scarier than the main antagonist, the "demon" in the house.

I also found a few things to be glossed over for the sake of moving the story along, but were too simple. We see our demonologists agree to take the case without any real effort on the families part. They just immediately believe everything the family states and start relating seemingly easy to explain stuff with DEFINITELY A DEMON! The next scene later in that day shows them discussing the history of the house. They apparently found every single piece of macabre history for the house in the span of a few hours. Who owned it, who died, property maps, newspaper clippings, etc.

Even with all its faults, I really enjoyed watching The Conjuring. Like most of Wans stuff it's perfect for late night/dark room viewing. It's not perfect, but it's certainly much better than the majority of horror being released

currently.

Just got done watching "New World", Park Hoon-Jung (Hoon-Jung Park) has done it again. But in a slightly different way, unlike "I Saw the Devil" he handed the directors reigns for this one. You can tell this was also penned by him from the first 5 minutes, his style is immediately recognizable. I wouldn't say that this is even close to as good as "I Saw the Devil", but considering its one of my favorite serial killer movies of all time I didn't expect this to be. The acting was top notch, the story was original but with his intensity and brutality thrown in the mix. I would recommend watching it, but if you have seen IStD I would suggest watching that first.

So after all these years I finally gave in and started watching the Harry Potter movies. My girlfriend and I are 4 in and I've enjoyed them all. I think she was more excited than I was for me to start watching them, haha.

I kinda watched the first 6 in 6 days or something like that.

Great flicks, you just don't really retain the movies as well as someone who watched them as they came out (when potter discussion comes up). No big deal though.

I'm finally doing the "Hitch 53 in 53" marathon – watching all 53 of Hitchcock's feature films in chronological order in 53 days. I'm presently 24 days in and 31 movies down.

Best silents: The Lodger, The Ring, and Blackmail.

Best british talkies: Blackmail, The 39 Steps, Sabotage, and The Lady Vanishes.

Watched two films today: Lifeboat, which is the first of his "single setting" movies and a pretty good wartime allegory; and Spellbound, which is one of my least favorite films of his from the Hollywood period, though it does have the great Dali dream sequence and that amazing point-of-view shot (ha!) at the end.

I'm finally doing the "Hitch 53 in 53" marathon – watching all 53 of Hitchcock's feature films in chronological order in 53 days. I'm presently 24 days in and 31 movies down.

Best silents: The Lodger, The Ring, and Blackmail.

Best british talkies: Blackmail, The 39 Steps, Sabotage, and The Lady Vanishes.

Watched two films today: Lifeboat, which is the first of his "single setting" movies and a pretty good wartime allegory; and Spellbound, which is one of my least favorite films of his from the Hollywood period, though it does have the great Dali dream sequence and that amazing point-of-view shot (ha!) at the end.

Solid idea. I still have too many "classics" to watch (movies inside the IMDB top 50, let alone top 250) to focus on a single director (even if he is the greatest director ever). Maybe one day.

Had an extra day off this week, so I had some extra time to kill.  Watched The Lifeguard, Coffee Town and Prince Avalanche.

The Lifeguard was forgettable, but I wouldn't really say it was bad.  Mainly just a generic 'indie' film.

Coffee Town was not good.  I got a few laughs out of it, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

I liked Prince Avalanche, but I can't quite place why.  It's a very subtle film.  The Explosions in the Sky & David Wingo score fits perfectly.  I enjoyed it on it's own, but I feel like they nailed the overall feel of the movie.

Trying to decide between Only God Forgives, Pontypool or Amour for tonight.