My girlfriend's dad likes Slint, Dinosaur Jr., Mastodon, and a slew of other bands I like. Very surprising for a dude his age and status (colonel in the Air Force). I make fun of his daughter, he laughs, and joins in, and we talk about music. Needless to say, I doubt I'll need to ask for his permission ...

...especially since it's not 19fucking50 in the damn Bible Belt.

My girlfriend's dad likes Slint, Dinosaur Jr., Mastodon, and a slew of other bands I like. Very surprising for a dude his age and status (colonel in the Air Force). I make fun of his daughter, he laughs, and joins in, and we talk about music. Needless to say, I doubt I'll need to ask for his permission ...

Was with you til that last line. No need to pigeonhole those who do things & having different opinions than yourself.

Edit: But you're still cool cuz we share a passion for AK.

Was with you til that last line. No need to pigeonhole those who do things & having different opinions than yourself.

No need to, but I did, to distinguish the two. I think you were taking the statement a little too generally. They can do whatever the fuck they want, but I don't fall in line with their old, out-dated, and antiquated traditions and ways of thinking. Was I over here saying that everyone who does or lives there is stupid? No. All I said was that I'm not doing it because of the aforementioned reasons.  

No need to, but I did, to distinguish the two. I think you were taking the statement a little too generally. They can do whatever the fuck they want, but I don't fall in line with their old, out-dated, and antiquated traditions and ways of thinking. Was I over here saying that everyone who does or lives there is stupid? No. All I said was that I'm not doing it because of the aforementioned reasons.  

Fair enough. I probly did take it too generally. It's cool your gf's dad is chill.

mattphotographs, on 01 Oct 2014 - 10:54 AM, said:snapback.png

here-comes-the-judge.jpg?w=300&h=161

I'm hungry but I have no idea where to go

Not at all what I expected to happen after our exchange earlier.

Fair enough. I probly did take it too generally. It's cool your gf's dad is chill.

Wasn't trying to call anyone out or piss anyone off, I just think 1950s in the South (lived in VA for 13 years) when I hear the whole hand in marriage thing. Probably in a cliche tv show way with the whole horrible fake southern accent. 

And it's interesting to talk to someone who is my Dad's age about music I listen to and him actually know who they are. I was at my local record shop and found an original pressing of Spiderland and got all stoked, as my gf is on the phone with her Dad, and he had her tell me "I love Slint!". I was taken back. 

I don't agree with the bible belt comment either, but meh. My parents are atheist and agnostic, respectively, and are pretty damn forward thinking for growing up in the boonies of michigan. My brother talked to his wife's parents before he proposed to my sister-in-law, and I'd want the same from my man. It's how my parents did it and I find it very romantic.

but like dani said, it's all about the couple and their preference. I don't look down on others who don't speak to the parents beforehand. I just find it romantic when they do! :)

I can't wait to get rid of O'Farrell, that apostrophe has plagued me every time I apply for a credit card, visit the DMV, go to vote... Basically anything you have to register for.

Do chicken and waffles for the best of both worlds.

I have to work with what I have here. haha.

I get what you are saying.

But what if someone said that marriage itself is "Old, out-dated, and antiquated tradition and way of thinking."

You may not agree with that right? Just saying, everyone has their own values of what they see as important and if someone did ask the father's permission, it doesn't mean that they are necessarily from the south with out-dated thinking.

I think it is important to just realize everyone has different opinions, you know?

On another note. Your GF's dad sounds badass. He would probably get along with my dad.

• Shitty Rambo changed the title to Small Talk Revival Thread
  • jhulud locked this topic