i am so tired. i couldnt sleep last night bc my family dropped this huge bomb on me that i should get a mental evaluation bc they dont believe that i perceive things as they really occur. i'm scared and i feel lost.

:c I'm so beyond sorry and I really do wish you the best and you're in my thoughts yo. Sending good vibes your way.

i am so tired. i couldnt sleep last night bc my family dropped this huge bomb on me that i should get a mental evaluation bc they dont believe that i perceive things as they really occur. i'm scared and i feel lost.

Keep your head up. Stay as POSI as possible. We're here for you if you need friendly ears to listen.

I just don't undersand why they think this :(

Sorry to hear it, families have a way of doing things like this. Hope you're ok.

Damn, not even sure what to say here.  Not really the same thing but I've had an old boss try and tell me I'm Bipolar and need to go get medication for it.  I've also got coworkers believing that I'm a sociopath.  I only bring this up because I wanted to say that I can say that I can relate to how others opinions (even misguided ones) can alter your self perception and make you start to question who you are.  

Best of luck with all of this.  I may not know you well but you've always seemed like a level headed, all together, person on here.

Keep your head up. Stay as POSI as possible. We're here for you if you need friendly ears to listen.

:( I don't really get this....why do they think it?

I just don't undersand why they think this :(

Sorry to hear it, families have a way of doing things like this. Hope you're ok.

thanks so much you guys.

i don't really understand, and i'm being told that's part of my problem.  this all started bc my brother was making jokes about people who don't eat gluten. & i've dealt with people saying that its fake, etc., and that its only real when you have celiac, but it isn't true. so i asked my brother not to be so insensitive about it and he got annoyed with me and left and my parents harped on me about how i can never see the other side of things and that i can't always think that i'm right. but in this situation, i was being made fun of for my condition and its not something i can control. all i asked of my brother was to be sensitive and understand that gluten intolerance and celiac aren't mutually exclusive.

after he left i sent him a text to tell him that he hurt my feelings and that i work very hard every day to try to get myself better and a big part of that is what i consume, which he clearly doesn't think is a real treatment. he never responded. when i got home last night i told my mom that i sent him that message bc she has this idea of me that i go out of my way to make my brother miserable, which also isn't true.

so thats when she told me that i don't perceive things correctly. she says its a problem that i couldnt see that my brother was "busting my chops" and that he was arguing with me about this as a joke. i asked her to tell me where i missed the joke since evidently everyone else knew that he was making fun of me for getting upset about the topic. so she said that this is a perfect example as to how i dont perceive things how they actually are. i still don't understand.

i've been working to be in a better place for myself. i thought i've been making progress and doing a good job on my own to get myself healthy. but apparently all anyone in my family sees is me walking around with a black cloud over my head unable to see the good things in life. i was told that i need to lighten up and get out of my own way bc i spend too much time in my head because i'm in too close of proximity to my problems and my disease.

my mom said she worries about me every day bc she claims i don't handle being sick well. she says that i've been sick for a decade and the way that i deal with it on my own, by myself, is not healthy and shes scared of what will happen to me if i don't get evaluated. all because my brother decided to be insensitive? i don't understand.

my viewpoint is this: just because my disease is invisible does not mean its open game to make jokes about it. i do deal with a lot in my head daily, but i don't let it consume me like everyone apparently thinks i do. if i had a physical ailment or if i had cancer, i doubt with everything in me that my brother would makes these types of comments. nobody tells jokes about cancer patients, or people who break their bones. just because it's not something on my surface doesn't mean that it's appropriate to make jokes at my expense.

ohhhhh families....  

if your man has your back, then try to be as positive as you can.  try not to spend too much time thinking about it.  

no offense, but it sounds like your fam might just like to try and get a rise out of you.  i'm not particularly fond of those types that just jab, and jab, and jab.  my friends did that to me growing up/into 20's, but I attributed it to just being more intelligent than them ( :P), and eventually, just stopped going/hanging around them.  I know you can't do that with family, but, give them the cold shoulder for a while, and see what happens.  I bet they will notice.  

people tend to joke about what they don't understand, instead of just listening

thanks so much you guys.

i don't really understand, and i'm being told that's part of my problem.  this all started bc my brother was making jokes about people who don't eat gluten. & i've dealt with people saying that its fake, etc., and that its only real when you have celiac, but it isn't true. so i asked my brother not to be so insensitive about it and he got annoyed with me and left and my parents harped on me about how i can never see the other side of things and that i can't always think that i'm right. but in this situation, i was being made fun of for my condition and its not something i can control. all i asked of my brother was to be sensitive and understand that gluten intolerance and celiac aren't mutually exclusive.

after he left i sent him a text to tell him that he hurt my feelings and that i work very hard every day to try to get myself better and a big part of that is what i consume, which he clearly doesn't think is a real treatment. he never responded. when i got home last night i told my mom that i sent him that message bc she has this idea of me that i go out of my way to make my brother miserable, which also isn't true.

so thats when she told me that i don't perceive things correctly. she says its a problem that i couldnt see that my brother was "busting my chops" and that he was arguing with me about this as a joke. i asked her to tell me where i missed the joke since evidently everyone else knew that he was making fun of me for getting upset about the topic. so she said that this is a perfect example as to how i dont perceive things how they actually are. i still don't understand.

i've been working to be in a better place for myself. i thought i've been making progress and doing a good job on my own to get myself healthy. but apparently all anyone in my family sees is me walking around with a black cloud over my head unable to see the good things in life. i was told that i need to lighten up and get out of my own way bc i spend too much time in my head because i'm in too close of proximity to my problems and my disease.

my mom said she worries about me every day bc she claims i don't handle being sick well. she says that i've been sick for a decade and the way that i deal with it on my own, by myself, is not healthy and shes scared of what will happen to me if i don't get evaluated. all because my brother decided to be insensitive? i don't understand.

my viewpoint is this: just because my disease is invisible does not mean its open game to make jokes about it. i do deal with a lot in my head daily, but i don't let it consume me like everyone apparently thinks i do. if i had a physical ailment or if i had cancer, i doubt with everything in me that my brother would makes these types of comments. nobody tells jokes about cancer patients, or people who break their bones. just because it's not something on my surface doesn't mean that it's appropriate to make jokes at my expense.

I hate that. It's like the 'lad' culture or whatever you call it over there (bro culture maybe) where they can take the piss out of you all they want and if you retaliate or bite then 'it's just banter, stop taking it so serious'.

I'm sorry they don't understand what you're going through. I myself had/have health issues although on a minor scale compared to yours and some people think because I don't have visible illness then it's not bad and not real. It's fustrating more than anything.

This sounds exactly like what my brother continually does with me. He's a complete loser and always tries to "joke" with me and get a rise out of me, but when I tell him to stop and blow up at him, then he gets all pissy and angry that I did and then I'm the asshole. Of course my parents never see any of this and it all ends up falling me and that I'm always in a bad mood and can't be talked to.

Being in this environment makes me think that I'm the one that's going crazy at times. As if I'm the only one that sees things for what they are and everyone else around me, esp. family, have the wool pulled over their eyes.

Damn, not even sure what to say here.  Not really the same thing but I've had an old boss try and tell me I'm Bipolar and need to go get medication for it.  I've also got coworkers believing that I'm a sociopath.  I only bring this up because I wanted to say that I can say that I can relate to how others opinions (even misguided ones) can alter your self perception and make you start to question who you are.  

Best of luck with all of this.  I may not know you well but you've always seemed like a level headed, all together, person on here.

That is absolutely how I feel. I kept telling my boyfriend last night that I don't know whats real now. I'm not sure what is legit and whats being made up in my head because I'm being told I can't tell the difference.

Thank you. & I hope you are able to figure things out for yourself as well. It's such an indescribable feeling to try to understand.

That's like people who make jokes about my weight....I get i'm fat....it's cool you notice i'm fat....but when did I give you the go ahead to tear me down just because of that?  and then people get mad when you call them out on their comments. 

Exactly. I believe in being nice to people and treating people equally. Just because I don't find my brothers offensive sense of humor funny shouldn't mean that I need to not be so tense when he says something that makes me feel bad about myself. My parents always tell me not to pay attention to him and that I need to just accept my brother how he is. But I can't accept being mean to people just because they are different.

He once told me all muslims are terrorists. Being that the people who employee me are from Pakistan and practice Islam, I thought I was in the right to say that he was wrong. I got in trouble for that, too.  It makes me so upset that I get more flack for standing up for what I believe than I would if I were to say something offensive.  How is that fair?

ohhhhh families....  

if your man has your back, then try to be as positive as you can.  try not to spend too much time thinking about it.  

no offense, but it sounds like your fam might just like to try and get a rise out of you.  i'm not particularly fond of those types that just jab, and jab, and jab.  my friends did that to me growing up/into 20's, but I attributed it to just being more intelligent than them ( :P), and eventually, just stopped going/hanging around them.  I know you can't do that with family, but, give them the cold shoulder for a while, and see what happens.  I bet they will notice.  

people tend to joke about what they don't understand, instead of just listening

My brother always tries to get a rise out of me. But what doesn't make sense to me is, as an example, if I was being bullied by someone other than a family member and I told my parents that I stood up for myself and defended myself against my bully, I would be praised for it. Why do I get yelled at for standing up for myself against my brother?

I'm definitely not talking to my brother. I reached out in my text, but he doesn't talk to me on a good day bc hes "too busy," so I really shouldnt be surprised that he ignored my text telling him flat out that he hurt my feelings.

I hate that. It's like the 'lad' culture or whatever you call it over there (bro culture maybe) where they can take the piss out of you all they want and if you retaliate or bite then 'it's just banter, stop taking it so serious'.

I'm sorry they don't understand what you're going through. I myself had/have health issues although on a minor scale compared to yours and some people think because I don't have visible illness then it's not bad and not real. It's fustrating more than anything.

My mom did point out that he doesn't know the extent of my condition, to which I countered that if the situation were reversed, I would've made myself aware of what he was going through. What's stopping him from throwing my disease into Google to learn something?

This sounds exactly like what my brother continually does with me. He's a complete loser and always tries to "joke" with me and get a rise out of me, but when I tell him to stop and blow up at him, then he gets all pissy and angry that I did and then I'm the asshole. Of course my parents never see any of this and it all ends up falling me and that I'm always in a bad mood and can't be talked to.

Being in this environment makes me think that I'm the one that's going crazy at times. As if I'm the only one that sees things for what they are and everyone else around me, esp. family, have the wool pulled over their eyes.

I think it is exactly what is happening here. My brother has done this to me all my life. He would instigate with me and get me to react then tell on me to my parents or my grandmother. My grandmother always favored him, so he would tell her anything just to get me into trouble and when I would try to defend myself she would call me names and call me a liar. He's always done these things to me. Even when he's being disrespectful to my mom and I stick up for her, he says something to pit me and my mom against eachother and walks away leaving her to yell at me for essentially defending her to him.

I think it is exactly what is happening here. My brother has done this to me all my life. He would instigate with me and get me to react then tell on me to my parents or my grandmother. My grandmother always favored him, so he would tell her anything just to get me into trouble and when I would try to defend myself she would call me names and call me a liar. He's always done these things to me. Even when he's being disrespectful to my mom and I stick up for her, he says something to pit me and my mom against eachother and walks away leaving her to yell at me for essentially defending her to him.

Sometimes I think it's better to create a bit of distance between you and your family. You'll find yourself getting on with them more if you hardly see them and only catch up occasionaly.

It's tricky though, I've been very lucky with my family however the girlfriend is having similar problems to you with them. She's so much happier when she isn't involved with them.

Seems like it! All my years of growing up, we'd get into a fight and my mom would pull me aside and tell me to be careful with him bc he's sensitive and can't handle things as well as I can. But now that he's the one being insensitive, I'm STILL the one being pulled aside to be told that he's this way and I need to be mindful of it and to lighten up.

I just always feel that I'm going to be blamed for whatever he does to me.

Sometimes I think it's better to create a bit of distance between you and your family. You'll find yourself getting on with them more if you hardly see them and only catch up occasionaly.

It's tricky though, I've been very lucky with my family however the girlfriend is having similar problems to you with them. She's so much happier when she isn't involved with them.

I agree, but this is with minimal visitation. I live 40 minutes away from both my parents and my brother. I rarely see them. My brother is a cop, so he works all the time and is never around or reachable. It's my mom's birthday today so I was there to see her for that since I can't see her today or next weekend.

I agree, but this is with minimal visitation. I live 40 minutes away from both my parents and my brother. I rarely see them. My brother is a cop, so he works all the time and is never around or reachable. It's my mom's birthday today so I was there to see her for that since I can't see her today or next weekend.

Ahh right! I'm sorry to hear all of this.

At the end of the day you live your life exactly how you want to, learn from your own mistakes and don't let family or anyone interfere.

You really would think that by being a cop he would of grown up a bit. From how you were describing him I was picturing a 12 year old!

• Shitty Rambo changed the title to Small Talk Revival Thread
  • jhulud locked this topic