Fire

Awesome good luck! Ive won a few things in the past months. Only one was mildly cool though. Cant win if you don't enter. Btw just saw that Pearl Jam CD at the thrift store and can't see it the same anymore. :) That and Beverly Hills Cop on vinyl for @ $2 in good shape but I had no money on me, just went to browse. I hope it will be there when I go back!

thanks!

lol i'm glad i can influence lives outside of vc

The Third Man Rolling Record Store is in SLC tonight and I'm going to swing by when I get off work in 30 minutes. If anyone wants something Let me know and I'll grab it for you.

Do you know what they have? <333333

So they're going to have the Rome Deluxe colored 2xLP, The Dead Weather colored split, and the White Stripes Dead Leaves red vinyl.

I would love a DW and / or WS 7" if available. I had to sell my DW split a while back for some quick cash for bills. So I would love to get that back in my collection.

Apparently they're hanging at Randy's and there was a crazy storm earlier.

Do you know what they have? <333333

So they're going to have the Rome Deluxe colored 2xLP, The Dead Weather colored split, and the White Stripes Dead Leaves red vinyl.

I would love a DW and / or WS 7" if available. I had to sell my DW split a while back for some quick cash for bills. So I would love to get that back in my collection.

Apparently they're hanging at Randy's and there was a crazy storm earlier.

the weather is still pretty crazy. We had 60 mph winds earlier and it's snowing right now. Tons of trees got knocked down and the Internet is out at my work right now.

I do t know if they'll still have the limited stuff, but I'll see if I can drag my brother along and get the dead weather/white stripes stuff.

Possibly considering a DAP other than iPod that can play the high res stuff. Although I have no intention to pay for "HD" tracks, there is always the free shows on Archive and various other places.

Dave Grohl do you get many tunes from places like HD tracks?

DAP RANT

iPods aren't horrible cause you can Rockbox it so it'll support all file types, and gives you a multitude of options like EQs and the like. I prefer other DAPs cause they most have removable storage, DACs built in, Line Out, Gain control, etc. I have a dx50 and love it. They are a little pricey at $200 plus whatever size microSD card you get. But as you know, it's an investment. I found mine for $100 on headfi though. So not too bad. Going to get a portable headphone amp to go with it soon. It's a little bulky when compared to an iPhone / iPod but considering what it does, it's pretty small. Pretty much like having a turntable and amp in your pocket. Especially when listening to FLAC 24 bit files. Deciding on a DAP is going to come down to personal preferences such as what type of music you listen to, where you'll be using it, what you want it do to, and even what type of headphones you use (IEMs, closed, open, etc.). I use the dx50 cause it has a line out (which I can plug a headphone amp into) for more sensitive IEMs (my k550s can carry their own with the killer drivers already built in, but more clarity doesn't hurt), it accepts up to 128gb microSD, it's cheap, has a gain toggle, plays my genres well, and is easy to use. I would suggest checking out headfi DAP reviews and find one that suits all your needs (just like headphones).

FORMAT RANT

As far as HDTracks goes, I get them off PB if available, and if there is something I'm after that isn't on there I grab it off what.CD. I don't pay for digital music, only analog. I'm not rich. Haha. I usually only get 24bit versions of my favorite albums cause they are pretty fucking spacey.

Here is an example:

Sonic Highways

mp3 | 320kbps | Roswell Records CD | 104.8 MB

FLAC | 16bit | 909-1,035kbps | 44.1 | 306.7 MB

FLAC | 24bit | ~2,000kbps | 44.1 | HDTracks | 511.68 MB

FLAC | 24bit | ~3,000kbps | 96 | Vinyl Rip | 959.2 MB

The mp3 is on my phone, the 16bit on is on my DAP, the HDTracks is what I listen to on my computer, and the Vinyl rip is what I listen to if I want to spin the record, but can't. I don't do this for very many albums, maybe only a handful (which are on a list of albums I have to hear multiple times a week). I don't do the vinyl rip that often, kind of never really unless there is something really special about it or I can't get a tangible copy for some reason. 320kbps is more than enough for on the go, but since we are in the DAP and portable headphone era, I bump it to 16bit and it's killer. Anything higher is reserved for home generally. HDTracks did that American Idiot remaster and it's over 2GBs! I love that album and it sounds so fucking good; like a whole new album. But I'm not going to dedicate 2.6GBs of my card to it. Just have to pick and choose your albums wisely I suppose when it comes to loading your DAP (hence multiple formats). But since I don't need to carry around my 3TB HDD, I don't worry about that.

It really just depends on your storage space, your love of the band / album, your listening situation, and you pockets (money wise and size wise).

Here is a list of my HDTrack albums:

• Nirvana - Bleach
  • Nirvana - Nevermind
  • Nirvana - In Utero
  • Foo Fighters - Sonic Highways
  • Green Day - American Idiot (Only because the original master was shit.)
  • Led Zeppelin - Physical Graffiti
  • Taylor Swift - 1989
  • Jack White - Lazaretto
  • Matchbox 20 - Yourself Or Someone Like You
  • Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath
  • Black Sabbath - Masters of Reality
  • Black Sabbath - Vol. 4
  • Black Sabbath - Paranoid
  • Black Sabbath - Sabbath Bloody Sabbath

(Sorry for the rant. I'm sure that could have been answered in a shorter way.)

the weather is still pretty crazy. We had 60 mph winds earlier and it's snowing right now. Tons of trees got knocked down and the Internet is out at my work right now.

I do t know if they'll still have the limited stuff, but I'll see if I can drag my brother along and get the dead weather/white stripes stuff.

It just stormed here. Lots of hail and the like. Pretty clear out now.

And I appreciate it. No worries if you can't. As far as the DW and WS, they'll have all their regular TMR stuff, so nothing I can't order off the website.

Text me. Let me know how things go. Thanks again.

I honestly don't see the point in 24/96 vinyl rips. My set-up just might not be enough to the tell the difference though.

I really only grab vinyl rips if there isn't an HD version available.

As far as 24/96 & 24/44.1 in general, it really is hard to notice unless you have a decent DAC, amp, headphones, and know the album inside and out. That's why I only have a handful of 24bit albums. The other day I spent about 10 hours listening to 320kbps, FLAC 16bit, and then FLAC 24bit of Sonic Highways, while running meters and while not. While not running the meters I could still tell a difference in volume levels and clarity. It was a little difficult at times, but the difference was there. While the meters were running it was a little easier to tell (visually of course). Honestly, FLAC 16bit is more than fine. I have FLAC 16bit for my favorite bands ever, and 24bit (if available) for only albums I can't live without. The majority of my collection is 320kbps.

Out of 200gbs of music:

30gb FLAC

19gb FLAC | 24bit

So only ~25% of my music is FLAC - and that's storage wise. Song wise it's so much smaller. I have ~17,000 mp3s, and probably only about 2,500 FLAC files.

But yeah, see if you can borrow a good DAC, amp, and cans, listen to a 320kbps album that you know every note to, then listen to the 16/44.1 or 24/96 version, you'll hear the difference. Whether you think it's worth it or not, who knows, but you'll hear a difference.

I've been re-ripping/downloading my must have stuff in 16/44 flac ever since I got my DAC. I feel like i never need to listen to records anymore, it sounds so damn good.

I've been re-ripping/downloading my must have stuff in 16/44 flac ever since I got my DAC. I feel like i never need to listen to records anymore, it sounds so damn good.

Same here. 16/44 is my preferred format. I don't listen to records as much because of my DAC/amp, but I still love collecting records just as much as before. But maybe it's just cause I love the music channeled right into my ears, and I'm at my computer a lot (working and such). But I still spin records daily.

A good example is when I heard Coheed IKSSE:3 for the first time on my new set up with the 16bit files. I was hearing notes I had never heard before. I didn't want to stop listening. It was glorious. The HDtrack remaster of American Idiot was the same way, but that was because the original master was such shit. So it was cool listening to that album all over again and hearing how clear it was meant to be.

What type of DAC do you have?

Yeah, I still buy records (and keep the ones I'm really in love with) despite selling off most of my collection over the past month. I have a Schiit Modi optical.

Yeah, I still buy records (and keep the ones I'm really in love with) despite selling off most of my collection over the past month. I have a Schiit Modi optical.

Ah yes, that's right. You told me that. Sorry.

Try this out: http://test.tidalhifi.com/haha.

d0G0ZRh.jpg

Probably only missed it cause I hate The Eagles. Fucking hateeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

Just to clarify, I don't give 2 fucks about Tidal. I think it's stupid. I think most streaming music is stupid cause it's 92kbps on average. I like it to discover new music and such, but not to use it as a music source. Tidal is dumb as far as a mobile app is considered. DAPs don't have data so what's the point? Listening to FLAC streaming on an ipod touch? Why? Pointless. Plus $20/mo? Pass.

• Shitty Rambo changed the title to Small Talk Revival Thread
  • jhulud locked this topic