It is but the stock market is 100% risk in itself. It scares me that I could lose my hard eared savings. I'm looking into real estate to have a secondary income stream just in case

i work for the government, so i have a pension, but they're currently working on pension reform and it freaks me out. my goal is to start putting money into some additional retirement account once i pay off my student loans (which will be in the near future.)

i read online that a roth ira might be better because i'm in a lower tax bracket now than i might be when i withdrawl the money, and since you pay taxes on the deferred comp when you withdrawl it, it might be more beneficial to be putting my money into an account where the taxes have already been paid. that and people expressed that taxes in general may go up in the next 30 years before i retire. 

MONEY IS SO HARD. I JUST KNOW HOW TO PAINT CUTE ANIMALS.

I have a traditional IRA. I already own a home. If you plan to buy a first home and think you might need IRA money to do so then you need a Roth. With a Traditional they will tax that money. 

I've dabbled in stocks. I have one that I'm invested in now that is doing well. I've also lost money. I figure the sandwich heavy portfolio is safest. 

I do the IRA as a tax credit savings device. If I wasn't getting the tax credit I'd be handling the money in another manner. Of course it's a short term gain since I will ultimately be paying taxes in thirty years when I break the IRA. I made the smart choice when the stock market was way down to move my IRA money into an aggressive fund. I wound up in the past three years seeing my IRA money grow more than it had in the previous 9 years of having one. 

I have a traditional IRA. I already own a home. If you plan to buy a first home and think you might need IRA money to do so then you need a Roth. With a Traditional they will tax that money. 

I've dabbled in stocks. I have one that I'm invested in now that is doing well. I've also lost money. I figure the sandwich heavy portfolio is safest. 

i plan on buying a home, but since i've been living at home since i graduated, i've saved up enough money for a down payment on a house, so this would all be separate from that.

my parents both were/are public educators, so they have pensions, but also have money in (i think) a traditional IRA, in what my mom describes as a 'medium risk' plan, which according to her financial advisor, has performed the best out of the low, medium, and high risk plans in the past 30 years since they opened it. i'm assuming the high risk is all stocks, and theirs is a mix of stocks and other more stable forms of investments. i'd much rather do something like that than go the mostly/all stocks route.

(my bf is also 4 years older than you are :unsure: ) 

ALSO, his employer doesn't match his contributions. i told him to find a new employer.

My bf is in the same position as your bf it appears. =\  He is also 4 years older and his boss doesn't offer any benefits, including 401K.  It's only him and his boss that work there so it's a little tough for him.

• Shitty Rambo changed the title to Small Talk Revival Thread
  • jhulud locked this topic