I started on a crosley. My ex bought me one and if he hadn't then I probably would have never gotten into records since I had no interest before he bought it for me. I upgraded and I have a pretty good TT now, but I don't really feel embarrassed for owning a crosley in the beginning. I wouldn't use one anymore since I know the damage they can do, but if someone else wants to do that then I don't care.

The only records I lost were two (easy to find) Talking Heads records (which Im still furious about) and The Mountain Goats - Tallahassee

AND SHE LOST ALL MY GODDAMN BAND PINS

noooooo not the band pins! 

back in college i dated this real asshole and when we broke up, he kept one of my favorite band shirts. small band that never went anywhere. could never get another. a few years later, he tried to friend me on facebook and i look at his profile and there's an entire album of him wearing my goddamn shirt! 

i'm still furious about my bacon record. especially since the whole reason he had it in the first place is because i let him borrow it to use for that book he made. and he won't even own up to having sold it! (although that's not terribly surprising since "sell shit and lie about it" is the ETR way)

16246272192_54c0408bab.jpg

even more annoying is that record is worth way more than that. hell, it was more than that retail when i first bought it!

I understand both sides of the spectrum. Had I not found VC, I would have ended up with a Crosley. At the same time, it sucks to see your coveted expensive records that youre hunting for not being cared for well.

It sucks more knowing that at some point, you could drop mad money on your white whale only to learn it's been played a bunch of times on a Crosley.

I see tons of professional musicians and even recording engineers use crosleys and it makes me cringe to no end. Hell, Chad Gilbert and Hayley Williams use a Crosley.

I'll quit being an asshole if you stop being a dumbass.

But we all know neither will happen. ; )

I'm not being a dumb ass, if you think you're so right why don't you try and have a valid conversation with me instead of blowing hot air and disregarding what I've been saying.

I just asked that you be more respectful to those with an entry level product in the community, because it makes us seem quiet unwelcoming and pompous. 

But I'm not going to continue arguing with you because of your preset disposition and opinions of me which render you unable to have a decent conversation with me.

Remember that time I went to an Urban in Boston and the records on the record displace had guitar picks cut out of them? Good times

it's so that they are unplayable. Which pisses me off because they did this with the exclusive M83 record which could have gone to somebody's house instead of being ruined for showroom aesthetics.

Though this turns the conversation into an argument of weather or not when you have own a record is it right or justified for you to do whatever you want with it, even though it's limited, with $400 and could go to better use with someone else rather than being used for display such as a picture frame.

I started on a crosley. My ex bought me one and if he hadn't then I probably would have never gotten into records since I had no interest before he bought it for me. I upgraded and I have a pretty good TT now, but I don't really feel embarrassed for owning a crosley in the beginning. I wouldn't use one anymore since I know the damage they can do, but if someone else wants to do that then I don't care.

And you shouldn't feel embarrassed at all, because like I said, we all start somewhere. I guess he completely glazed over the fact I said it's completely fine to start out with a Crosley, cause we all START somewhere. I saved up and started on a entry level Project Debut, a HK receiver (open box on Amazon), and still have my polk tsi200s (which I also got open box on Amazon - saved a lot that way).

The funny thing is that whathisface is getting all pissed cause he thinks I'm acting like an "elitist douchebag", when in actuality I spent my own time education this kid on IG about it all and he chose to ignore my friendly advice. THAT's why I was playfully complaining, cause he would rather ruin his records for 4 years and keep at it, fine, all be it, but I'm sure as hell going to make fun of him for it if it's really been that long and he still wants to hear shit quality and ruin his records.

Even more funny is  that I tell people this stuff because I'm trying to educate them. I don't start off with "HAHAHA what a piece of shit player!". I want people to get the most out of their music as possible, but some people are dumb and just don't give a fuck. Oh well.

I understand both sides of the spectrum. Had I not found VC, I would have ended up with a Crosley. At the same time, it sucks to see your coveted expensive records that youre hunting for not being cared for well.

It sucks more knowing that at some point, you could drop mad money on your white whale only to learn it's been played a bunch of times on a Crosley.

I see tons of professional musicians and even recording engineers use crosleys and it makes me cringe to no end. Hell, Chad Gilbert and Hayley Williams use a Crosley.

I just said that haha!

Yeah in a way records are such a shared commodity that you are obligated to treat them well because in a way it's still public domain but at the same time you are still the prime and sole owner of the property that you are allowed to do whatever the fuck you want with it

(I.E. Brand New bowls, smashing Teen Suicide records) 

But at the end of the day all turntables destroy records Crosley's just do it at a faster rate!

all of this. i think the part that frustrates me is that there's so much ignorance/laziness. most crosley owners i've come across think they've got great records players and really don't want to hear it when you try to provide the helpful information that they're actually hurting their records and not even getting a good listening experience while they do it.

if someone said "oh i know a crosley isn't the best, but that's all i can afford right now" then fine. totally acceptable. 

having just had to go through the ebay return process after someone sold me a badly skipping record i had been after for a while, it sucks and i'm terrified that will one day happen with one of my actual while whales.

I'm not being a dumb ass, if you think you're so right why don't you try and have a valid conversation with me instead of blowing hot air and disregarding what I've been saying.

I just asked that you be more respectful to those with an entry level product in the community, because it makes us seem quiet unwelcoming and pompous. 

But I'm not going to continue arguing with you because of your preset disposition and opinions of me which render you unable to have a decent conversation with me.

it's so that they are unplayable. Which pisses me off because they did this with the exclusive M83 record which could have gone to somebody's house instead of being ruined for showroom aesthetics.

Though this turns the conversation into an argument of weather or not when you have own a record is it right or justified for you to do whatever you want with it, even though it's limited, with $400 and could go to better use with someone else rather than being used for display such as a picture frame.

You're the one who started all the name calling, friend. There's no point of having this conversation cause, just like the other guy, it's wasted.

And you shouldn't feel embarrassed at all, because like I said, we all start somewhere. I guess he completely glazed over the fact I said it's completely fine to start out with a Crosley, cause we all START somewhere. I saved up and started on a entry level Project Debut, a HK receiver (open box on Amazon), and still have my polk tsi200s (which I also got open box on Amazon - saved a lot that way).

The funny thing is that whathisface is getting all pissed cause he thinks I'm acting like an "elitist douchebag", when in actuality I spent my own time education this kid on IG about it all and he chose to ignore my friendly advice. THAT's why I was playfully complaining, cause he would rather ruin his records for 4 years and keep at it, fine, all be it, but I'm sure as hell going to make fun of him for it if it's really been that long and he still wants to hear shit quality and ruin his records.

Even more funny is  that I tell people this stuff because I'm trying to educate them. I don't start off with "HAHAHA what a piece of shit player!". I want people to get the most out of their music as possible, but some people are dumb and just don't give a fuck. Oh well.

My apologizes on that, then! Like I said don't let it bother you too much unless he has your White Whale, but then again another will always come! People like that would rather have Aesthetics over quality!

I guess I just got upset because it's such an a common thread I've seen in the community and I took that out on you!

I've had my Crosley for 3 years and I'm finally geting a decent turntable for a graduation gift, it's just a matter of weather I want to take this fancy-smansy turntable inside a college dorm or do I want to bring my good old Crosley with me

I had an ex take so much stuff after we broke up. It sucked a lot, but I'm glad she's out of my life and some of the stuff is replaceable. I don't understand the motivation to take some things.

I made my ex a few knitted hats and then he threw them all in the trash and proceeded to tell me about it. I don't know why it bothered me since we weren't together but I spent a lot of time making them and finding out it all went in the trash hurt a lot. I could give a shit about him but those hats :(. I was proud of those hats. :(. Donate it or don't even tell me about it.

I made my ex a few knitted hats and then he threw them all in the trash and proceeded to tell me about it. I don't know why it bothered me since we weren't together but I spent a lot of time making them and finding out it all went in the trash hurt a lot. I could give a shit about him but those hats :(. I was proud of those hats. :(. Donate it or don't even tell me about it.

that's just MEAN.

:(

My apologizes on that, then! Like I said don't let it bother you too much unless he has your White Whale, but then again another will always come! People like that would rather have Aesthetics over quality!

I guess I just got upset because it's such an a common thread I've seen in the community and I took that out on you!

I've had my Crosley for 3 years and I'm finally geting a decent turntable for a graduation gift, it's just a matter of weather I want to take this fancy-smansy turntable inside a college dorm or do I want to bring my good old Crosley with me

Goddamnit, Eric. If I see you use weather when you mean whether one more time...

Let me kind of sum this up a little better, cause you're taking it personally, when this was a general complaint about the fact that they completely disregard the advice. Like I said earlier, it's perfectly fine with you want to start out with Crosley cause we all start somewhere. A lot of these people just don't have the knowledge, and that's why I try to educate. It's the fact that some people completely disregard facts and defend Crosleys. I was telling this kid that the tone arms are heavy, the needles are shit, and that effectively will ruin his records pretty damn quick over time. (People can break their/my/other's white whales in half for all I care. I don't care about that.) What I do care about is, if you're going to spend thousands of dollars on records, why are you only spending $100 on an all-in-one? They sound like shit among many other negatives. I was honestly trying to educate this kid.

I'm not pin pointing you. Yeah, some people can't afford a nice high end system; I don't have one. But if you have been using a fucking Crosley for 4 years (like this kid I was originally talking about), that's a long fucking time to save for a system, especially when you have the income to buy 100s of records.

Look, all I was doing was trying to educate. When people are moronic enough to not take friendly advice, I'm going to rant about it while I laugh.

I'm glad you're looking into getting a better set-up. I know you're younger, and that's fine. Cause when I was your age I didn't even have any income. So that's perfectly fine. I just think you took what I was saying out of context, and too personally, man.

(See my post above about what I started out on. And honestly, if you want any help with research about your set up, I am more than happy to help.)

I'm sorry about your record that got sold. That was mean too. :(

thanks. 

i don't even think he meant it to be mean. just selfish. but as has already been discussed to great lengths, ross/ETR is a scummy dude who cares more about $$ than anything else. 

good riddance though! i was pretty stoked to get away from all that bs. 

That's so lame! Some people really suck.

My ex took a few things that were gifts to me from her family. It's kinda my fault for not watching her and just telling her to take her things and leave me alone, but why take stuff like that? She took a couple cookbooks and records, too I didn't notice those until I wanted to use them later and couldn't find them. Shitty.

The thing that pains me is that people aren't thorough in their decision making, in this case with their own money.  They just listen to marketing or walk into a store and walk out with something.  If you spend 8 hours working at $10 an hour and buy a crosley, would it make sense to not give at least 2 hours of researching before buying? That needs to be instilled in people.

• Shitty Rambo changed the title to Small Talk Revival Thread
  • jhulud locked this topic