Note to self: don't bother trying to explain why Crosley is shit to Crosley owners. They are morons.

(No matter how much I know this fact, I'll always try to help, and they just don't get it.)

Why would you spend thousands of dollars on records, just to listen to them on a potato? Why wouldn't you want to spend some money to hear the actual quality of your music? Why are people ok listening to records without warmth, depth, feeling, or any fucking volume. I just don't get it. A good starter set up is only about $1,000. That's a drop in the bucket. Especially since it's an investment. Oh yeah, I forget, the "trend" of collecting records.

"Actual". This kid has one of those horrid suitcase Crosleys and said he "upgraded" to something with "actual" speakers because the speakers in the suitcase went out. (This is his "upgrade".) Kid, first of all, no. Those are not actual speakers, and that's definitely not an upgrade. All you got was a differently packaged turd. It wasn't a clue not to buy Crosley when the "speakers" went out only after a couple years? No? Ok. You're probably right. You're probably right when you say you "haven't noticed any damage". I mean, obviously you are very astute, observant, and wise, and would be able to hear the diminishing quality of your rare Circa records. You're right, my bad. What am I thinking when investing in a set up would get you speakers that would out live you? Oh that's right, cause you will be uninterested in records when the trend dies anyway. Again, my bad.

I really need to stop wasting my breath on hopeless cases.

People like that make me happy that I managed to score a 80's Panasonic TT for $10. It's serving me well.

that was an amazing crosley rant.

That was one of my more held back ones too. I don't mind if people start off with a Crosley while they save up, whatever. But to be that dense just pushes my fucking buttons. Haha. BUY A DAMN DAMN VINTAGE TABLE. It's 10-100x better and is the same price. Thrift your whole damn set up.

RIP MY VINTAGE SETUP

It's my fault for getting my ex into records. She kept it and the cat. THE ONLY THINGS THAT MATTERED.

My coworkers bought me an AT-LP60 when I moved and it works fine and from what I read isn't "ruin your shit" level bad. I think at least a couple people here said they use one too.

But man, my old setup would knock shit off the shelves in my neighbors apartment if I wanted.

RIP MY VINTAGE SETUP

It's my fault for getting my ex into records. She kept it and the cat. THE ONLY THINGS THAT MATTERED.

My coworkers bought me an AT-LP60 when I moved and it works fine and from what I read isn't "ruin your shit" level bad. I think at least a couple people here said they use one too.

But man, my old setup would knock shit off the shelves in my neighbors apartment if I wanted.

Dude, that blows nuts. Crossing my fingers that I meet someone who's into records though.

I'm so happy I waited and asked everyone to pitch in for Christmas to help me get a decent start up. I'm so happy with it and I spent my tax return on an expedit.

Meanwhile, people have complete Marina collections and are spinning them on record death traps or framing em, which hurts me.

I'm so happy I waited and asked everyone to pitch in for Christmas to help me get a decent start up. I'm so happy with it and I spent my tax return on an expedit.

Meanwhile, people have complete Marina collections and are spinning them on record death traps or framing em, which hurts me.

It can be worse. They could be making some sweet bowls.

Note to self: don't bother trying to explain why Crosley is shit to Crosley owners. They are morons.

(No matter how much I know this fact, I'll always try to help, and they just don't get it.)

Why would you spend thousands of dollars on records, just to listen to them on a potato? Why wouldn't you want to spend some money to hear the actual quality of your music? Why are people ok listening to records without warmth, depth, feeling, or any fucking volume. I just don't get it. A good starter set up is only about $1,000. That's a drop in the bucket. Especially since it's an investment. Oh yeah, I forget, the "trend" of collecting records.

"Actual". This kid has one of those horrid suitcase Crosleys and said he "upgraded" to something with "actual" speakers because the speakers in the suitcase went out. (This is his "upgrade".) Kid, first of all, no. Those are not actual speakers, and that's definitely not an upgrade. All you got was a differently packaged turd. It wasn't a clue not to buy Crosley when the "speakers" went out only after a couple years? No? Ok. You're probably right. You're probably right when you say you "haven't noticed any damage". I mean, obviously you are very astute, observant, and wise, and would be able to hear the diminishing quality of your rare Circa records. You're right, my bad. What am I thinking when investing in a set up would get you speakers that would out live you? Oh that's right, cause you will be uninterested in records when the trend dies anyway. Again, my bad.

Honestly you need to hop off you high horse.

Yeah Crosleys suck, but they're entry level gear for a reason, not everyone can afford to drop $300-$Infinity amount of a decent turntable, and even finding a vintage one will set you back after you get it working and cleaned. A lot of these kids just want something that they can listen to records on, that looks good, and Crosley players do that, theses kids what something they can show their friends and they'll say "cool" when they put on Arctic Monekys.

Yeah it's great that you think you're helping these kids but being a pompous elitist douche about it doesn't help. I like many other people would love a nice fancy Thorens vintage turntable, but I can't afford that ,so I buy more records because I know buying them now is better than paying 100+ plus afterwords. I'd rather have a wide library than a small one missing records I could have gotten.

It's cool you're helping and I wish someone had told me about Crosley turntable's before I got mine, but just let the kid's have their fun, who cares if they ruin their Strokes or Arctic Fire records, let them do what they want with their property, and if you feel like telling someone their turntable isn't good do so politely because I'm guessing your first turntable wasn't the best for your records either.

I know this isn't a popular opinion but I just get tired of this elitist attitude in the community.

RIP MY VINTAGE SETUP

Dude, that blows nuts. Crossing my fingers that I meet someone who's into records though.

that's awful! it always makes me sad when i hear people who lost their collections in a breakup/divorce. 

at least i managed to get most of my records back from ross when we split. minus my anti-flag bacon record which he fucking sold :(

LEAVE IT TO ERIC TO DEFEND CROSLEYS

I'm not defending them, I'm defending the people listening on them. Not everyone can afford some lavish set up, and you can't fit a huge turntable and speakers in places like a dorm, for most people all-in-one set ups are just more convent, that's why they sell so well to the general public.

And like I said, they're not your records so who cares, if they want to ruin their records let them.

I'm in no way saying all-in-one players are a good idea, ever, but for most people that is the choice that works best for them, and it's not like they sell these fancy turntables into at places like Urban Outfitters and Target, they sell Crosley's so if you go into the store and see a Crosley for $60 and a record or two for $40 you're more likely to buy that, than to go online and drop a $100 on a turntable and another $100 on speakers.

I know this is an unpopular opinion, but that elitist attitude is really ugly and not a good face for the community.

tumblr_lxq4njnu8h1qzado8o1_500.gif

Sacrificing a some records in the short term by buying a better turntable is a better solution.  It'll not only prolong the life of the records you do have, but it will also last longer than a Crosley's components.  The platters are made of plastic, the tonearm and the bodies of them I've heard is particle board.  Those aren't materials built to last.  One of those suitcase turntables cost $80, does it make sense to buy that or maybe forego one record to get an Audio Technica for $100 and have your records sound better with speakers lying around the house or maybe chip in another $60 for a set of active bookshelf speakers that will sound much better than the small speakers that are built in?  

Not everyone can afford some lavish set up, and you can't fit a huge turntable and speakers in places like a dorm, for most people all-in-one set ups are just more convent, that's why they sell so well to the general public.

Idk I'd like to hear from a professional on this one.

Shane, are all in one set ups really more convent?

that's awful! it always makes me sad when i hear people who lost their collections in a breakup/divorce.

at least i managed to get most of my records back from ross when we split. minus my anti-flag bacon record which he fucking sold :(

The only records I lost were two (easy to find) Talking Heads records (which Im still furious about) and The Mountain Goats - Tallahassee

AND SHE LOST ALL MY GODDAMN BAND PINS

Sacrificing a some records in the short term by buying a better turntable is a better solution.  It'll not only prolong the life of the records you do have, but it will also last longer than a Crosley's components.  The platters are made of plastic, the tonearm and the bodies of them I've heard is particle board.  Those aren't materials built to last.  One of those suitcase turntables cost $80, does it make sense to buy that or maybe forego one record to get an Audio Technica for $100 and have your records sound better with speakers lying around the house or maybe chip in another $60 for a set of active bookshelf speakers that will sound much better than the small speakers that are built in?  

You're 100% right and I 100% with you, but most people don't think that way or know the damage these turntables do to their records.

When you go into urban outfitters they have this set up:

crosley-turntables.jpg

not an LP-60 OR LP-120, they see this and they're like cool so they buy it. Most of these people would rather have some cutesy floral record player than the LP-60. I 100% agree with what you said and I'm not saying that they are right for buying these but they are somewhat justified in their reason for buying a Crosley. I like most of these kids heard of Crosley before I heard of Audio Technica because it's marketed to their demographic more, like I said it's not right but it's justified.

At the end of the day for most people this makes the most sense, not everyone spends 3+ hours researching before buying a turntable. I'm not saying it's right but that's the logic of it.

It's the same thing it's consoles V.S. PC argument. Yeah sure my PS4 is outdated than your high end gaming rig, but it's cheaper and get's the job done just the same, and I'm happy with it so who cares, you don't have to use it.

Like I said it's cool if you want to educate just don't act like some elitist fuck face for people buying an entry level product because if they really do care about The Hobby they'll upgrade eventually but until them let them have their fun, and if they never upgrade who cares it's not your limited copy of Deja Entendu being ruined.

Stop being an asshole to people with an entry level product because we all start from somewhere.

Honestly you need to hop off you high horse.

Yeah Crosleys suck, but they're entry level gear for a reason, not everyone can afford to drop $300-$Infinity amount of a decent turntable, and even finding a vintage one will set you back after you get it working and cleaned. A lot of these kids just want something that they can listen to records on, that looks good, and Crosley players do that, theses kids what something they can show their friends and they'll say "cool" when they put on Arctic Monekys.

Yeah it's great that you think you're helping these kids but being a pompous elitist douche about it doesn't help. I like many other people would love a nice fancy Thorens vintage turntable, but I can't afford that ,so I buy more records because I know buying them now is better than paying 100+ plus afterwords. I'd rather have a wide library than a small one missing records I could have gotten.

It's cool you're helping and I wish someone had told me about Crosley turntable's before I got mine, but just let the kid's have their fun, who cares if they ruin their Strokes or Arctic Fire records, let them do what they want with their property, and if you feel like telling someone their turntable isn't good do so politely because I'm guessing your first turntable wasn't the best for your records either.

I know this isn't a popular opinion but I just get tired of this elitist attitude in the community.

I'm not defending them, I'm defending the people listening on them. Not everyone can afford some lavish set up, and you can't fit a huge turntable and speakers in places like a dorm, for most people all-in-one set ups are just more convent, that's why they sell so well to the general public.

And like I said, they're not your records so who cares, if they want to ruin their records let them.

I'm in no way saying all-in-one players are a good idea, ever, but for most people that is the choice that works best for them, and it's not like they sell these fancy turntables into at places like Urban Outfitters and Target, they sell Crosley's so if you go into the store and see a Crosley for $60 and a record or two for $40 you're more likely to buy that, than to go online and drop a $100 on a turntable and another $100 on speakers.

I know this is an unpopular opinion, but that elitist attitude is really ugly and not a good face for the community.

I don't even want to waste energy replying to the stupidity of this.

• Shitty Rambo changed the title to Small Talk Revival Thread
  • jhulud locked this topic