I just saw Brian Wilson with the Ghost dad

aw papa ghost! yeah, i've seen a couple other bands over the years with my dad, but that was the only one the three of us were ever at together. looking back, i'm really surprised my mom even wanted to go. my dad was stoked for question mark and i was stoked for rftc. no idea what made my mom tag along, but very glad she did. 

aw papa ghost! yeah, i've seen a couple other bands over the years with my dad, but that was the only one the three of us were ever at together. looking back, i'm really surprised my mom even wanted to go. my dad was stoked for question mark and i was stoked for rftc. no idea what made my mom tag along, but very glad she did.

Old Ghost and I go to shows together and box each other. He still has a vicious right cross.

booooooooo. make up a friend? haha. is it just because of driving there alone?

I don't have my license yet. I don't know why, I think he thinks I'm less likely to die if someone else is there or something. Hell if I know. All that really happens is I have someone there and we get into "who can do the stupidest shit" contests that are 100x worse than if I'd just moshed on my own

Indeed, Bear is a kind soul.

BEAR TOLD ME EVERYTHING !!!

But he is a kind soul. I don't know how he put up with my dog and me because we were horrible to be around. Actually I take that back, we napped a lot so I guess he spent most of his time just watching my dog and I sleep but he was nice and make sure my dog and I always had a blanket on even though Ginger is a little blanket thief and kept taking all of the blankets from everyone. Ridiculous

I don't have my license yet. I don't know why, I think he thinks I'm less likely to die if someone else is there or something. Hell if I know. All that really happens is I have someone there and we get into "who can do the stupidest shit" contests that are 100x worse than if I'd just moshed on my own

ha! oh, the irony haha. that sucks, though! my parents were super concerned the first time i went to a show. but i'm also a small female and then i was 12 year old small female, so i get the concern. but then after like 2, they were just kinda like "fuck it. you didn't die, so cool" and that was that. 

maybe you can meet a cool show buddy in the area who's into the same music as you :) 

BEAR TOLD ME EVERYTHING !!!

But he is a kind soul. I don't know how he put up with my dog and me because we were horrible to be around. Actually I take that back, we napped a lot so I guess he spent most of his time just watching my dog and I sleep but he was nice and make sure my dog and I always had a blanket on even though Ginger is a little blanket thief and kept taking all of the blankets from everyone. Ridiculous

Did Bear tell you that I am over 7 feet tall?

My dad is purposefully an asshole about any music I like.

I think I get my love for music from my mom she can talk to me about it for hours.

My dad has admitted to me that he doesn't like to listen to albums (preferring singles because it's less tedious), and the best thing about a song is often power chords. 

shudder

He also asked me what I was listening to the other day, and I told him it was GY!BE. He wanted to listen to a song, and I said, "the one I'm listening to is over 20 minutes long...ya sure?". Then, he asked me to play him some of it.

His opinion on experimental/post-rock is "it does nothing for me because it's not going anywhere. With Social Distortion, I know exactly where it's going. But this goes nowhere". This isn't even just with music that's considered inaccessible to some--he doesn't like slower songs because they "do nothing for him" either. 

I mean, I see where his thinking stems from, but it upsets me that I can't talk about music with him :/ That's why I talk to my mom instead.

I think I get my love for music from my mom she can talk to me about it for hours.

My dad has admitted to me that he doesn't like to listen to albums (preferring singles because it's less tedious), and the best thing about a song is often power chords. 

shudder

My mom is the same way as your dad. My dad likes music, he just bitches about anything that isn't something he found. No matter how similar to something he likes, he finds a reason to complain about it just because I found it

He also asked me what I was listening to the other day, and I told him it was GY!BE. He wanted to listen to a song, and I said, "the one I'm listening to is over 20 minutes long...ya sure?". Then, he asked me to play him some of it.

His opinion on experimental/post-rock is "it does nothing for me because it's not going anywhere. With Social Distortion, I know exactly where it's going. But this goes nowhere". This isn't even just with music that's considered inaccessible to some--he doesn't like slower songs because they "do nothing for him" either.

I mean, I see where his thinking stems from, but it upsets me that I can't talk about music with him :/ That's why I talk to my mom instead.

My dad will listen to something like Converge or say Nasum for a song... play it again, then take out his guitar and play it...

He says that he dislikes it because it's too simple to play.

The prick... fucker plays guitar for 50 years and picks most things up by ear.

I just talk with you guys because my friends are stupid, my mom is clueless, and my dad is a prick.

Last friend I thought might go said no. Fuck.

My dad will listen to something like Converge or say Nasum for a song... play it again, then take out his guitar and play it...

He says that he dislikes it because it's too simple to play.

The prick... fucker plays guitar for 50 years and picks most things up by ear.

Most of Jane Doe at least was pretty bizarre. Not that difficult, but weird tuning and not that easy to play, seems like he'd at least find the music somewhat interesting. That weird out of tune sounding part of Fault and Fracture gave me way harder of a time than it should have

Most of Jane Doe at least was pretty bizarre. Not that difficult, but weird tuning and not that easy to play, seems like he'd at least find the music somewhat interesting. That weird out of tune sounding part of Fault and Fracture gave me way harder of a time than it should have

Yeah no... outside of Sabbath and Cream, he really looks for jazzy guitars or great melodies.

that sucks :(

parents can change though. my mom and i did not get along at all when i was younger and then became super close when i was in my 20s. and musically...she was the one that had a major boy band phase when i was in high school. then got randomly into pop punk down the line. you never know, is all. 

• Shitty Rambo changed the title to Small Talk Revival Thread
  • jhulud locked this topic