I forgot to tell you guys the other day. I was so amped. My buddy got me a gift card for one of our local shops here and I got the new Weezer and Iggy and the Stooges - Raw Power for $2. (2012 Raw Power with the Bowie and Iggy mixes, mild warp, so it was marked at $10!) I've been putting off getting Raw Power forever because years ago I used to always see it for around $10 and I could never find it for that little once I was ready to buy it.

I like the Bowie mixes. They are super interesting.

I don't think I've ever heard the Iggy mixes. I'm interested to see the difference.

The differences between the two are pretty easy to spot. Iggy's mixes are definitely fuzzier, rougher, and in your face. They are Iggy's babies, and you can tell. Definitely have that gritty punk feeling, and it's fantastic. I prefer it to the Bowie mixes cause it's the version I grew up on, and I like my punk rough like Iggy. The funny thing is that Bowie mixed his versions in a few days, after Iggy's mixes were rejected (back in 1972). When he [iggy] redid his mixes in 1997s, that's where they shine. Bowie's mixes are a little 'friendlier' so they got radio play. I think Iggy's version represents the Stooges better though. Bowie's mixes add some subtlety, like some echoing here and there, and I like it overall, but Iggy's version is my go-to.

* - the CD version of Iggy's mixes were done horribly on CD (his mixes are great, but they fucked them up when sticing them on a CD). LP is the way to go.

So, for CD I go Bowie, and LP I go Iggy.

This pressing has both: https://www.discogs.com/Iggy-And-The-Stooges-Raw-Power/release/2400271

The differences between the two are pretty easy to spot. Iggy's mixes are definitely fuzzier, rougher, and in your face. They are Iggy's babies, and you can tell. Definitely have that gritty punk feeling, and it's fantastic. I prefer it to the Bowie mixes cause it's the version I grew up on, and I like my punk rough like Iggy. The funny thing is that Bowie mixed his versions in a few days, after Iggy's mixes were rejected (back in 1972). When he [iggy] redid his mixes in 1997s, that's where they shine. Bowie's mixes are a little 'friendlier' so they got radio play. I think Iggy's version represents the Stooges better though. Bowie's mixes add some subtlety, like some echoing here and there, and I like it overall, but Iggy's version is my go-to.

* - the CD version of Iggy's mixes were done horribly on CD (his mixes are great, but they fucked them up when sticing them on a CD). LP is the way to go.

So, for CD I go Bowie, and LP I go Iggy.

This pressing has both: https://www.discogs.com/Iggy-And-The-Stooges-Raw-Power/release/2400271

Yup, my version has 'em both too :) I listened to a bit of the Iggy version. I'll probably revisit it tomorrow for a full listen.

I put on Caspian's new release while I was closing my store. I finished it out with Sycamore.

The girl at my work that always plays country, Numetal, buttrock, and Nickleback just put in her notice. I'm pretty stoked.

I will miss the 2-3 week cycle of her being excited about some dude, me being like "Uhhhh...he sounds really shitty", and then her being devestated when the relationship ends.

I guess that's a fun thing about working with 20 year olds. I can just be like "Uh, that thing you're talking about doesn't seem like a good sustainable idea" and they think I'm a sorceror when I'm right.

The girl at my work that always plays country, Numetal, buttrock, and Nickleback just put in her notice. I'm pretty stoked.

I will miss the 2-3 week cycle of her being excited about some dude, me being like "Uhhhh...he sounds really shitty", and then her being devestated when the relationship ends.

I guess that's a fun thing about working with 20 year olds. I can just be like "Uh, that thing you're talking about doesn't seem like a good sustainable idea" and they think I'm a sorceror when I'm right.

Probably would do me well to hire you for said services :P

Not really a fan of Iggy in general. I know punk isn't meant to be polished, but the Stooges' stuff just sounds like shit.

I tried listening to Post Pop Depression too, but that's totally not my style.

Ah. See, I'm not crazy about a lot of punk stuff, but I do like the Stooges' stuff! Different strokes :)

• Shitty Rambo changed the title to Small Talk Revival Thread
  • jhulud locked this topic