Big Bang Theory is the WORST

I haven't watched Community but based on what I think are comparable shows (like Parks and Rec), it doesn't require a lot of thinking either.

It's not that they require thinking, but that they're "smart" for lack of a better word.  As in the writing for shows like Parks and Rec and Community is smart.  Big Bang Theory, though, has "smart" characters written by "dumb" (again for lack of a better word) writers.

i take it seriously because tv isnt like music. even if a band doesnt blow up, they can still keep making their art.

with tv, if it doesnt blow up, it gets cancelled, and then its fucked.

i take it seriously because cbs does nothing but stroke itself with its through the roof ratings, and every second of programming on that network is total rubbish. and then the shows that actually go beyond the cookie cutter blueprint of sit-com get trounced in the ratings, because the viewers settle for something they dont have to think about.

people are out there making GOOD television. and for some reason, it's only the good ones that dont stand a chance.

well it's not like arguing about it on this board is gonna make much of a difference.  Even if you could convince every single person on this board to all watch a certain TV show, it probably wouldn't even make a dent in any ratings.

In a completely unrelated topic:  Does anybody on here watch Dr. Who?  Best sci-fi show I've watched since X-Files.

I haven't watched Community but based on what I think are comparable shows (like Parks and Rec), it doesn't require a lot of thinking either.

and this negates your argument.

there was an episode where one of the characters had an entire c-plot going on in the background. they made a slight nod to it at the end, but it's one of those things that you realized you've completely missed, and have to go watch again.

well it's not like arguing about it on this board is gonna make much of a difference.  Even if you could convince every single person on this board to all watch a certain TV show, it probably wouldn't even make a dent in any ratings.

i love community. a lot. the very least i can do is my part to give it a chance.

there was an episode where one of the characters had an entire c-plot going on in the background. they made a slight nod to it at the end, but it's one of those things that you realized you've completely missed, and have to go watch again.

My whole point was defending that Big Bang is a good show, not to say negative things about Community or defend Nickelback. I am sure I will like Community when I eventually get to it. Bowing out of the convo.

Blast Big Bang and mourn Community all you want. I will continue to enjoy my show, regardless of whether uneducated people like it or not. I know that I am smart because of I can write "Dr." in front of my name, not because of the TV shows I watch.

Has anybody else heard about the Hannibal show that is going to be on NBC? I have been getting pretty into the Thomas Harris books lately and the show is going to be shit.

I'm with ya man.  Can't wait for it.

I'm also really excited for the "Bates Motel" mini-series that's going to be on A&E in March.

I'm with ya man.  Can't wait for it.

I'm also really excited for the "Bates Motel" mini-series that's going to be on A&E in March.

I will probably end up enjoying it somehow. I'm usually just skeptical about film adaptations. I wasn't fond of the Red Dragon film in the slightest. I like the fact that the show will be focused on Will Graham. I wish there was a book that covered his life after the events in Red Dragon.

I just looked up Bates Motel and that sounds pretty cool. I like crime/thriller stuff quite a bit and I always like hearing origin stories. I haven't gotten to Hannibal Rising yet but that might be pretty interesting as well.

I bet every single one here has a show they love that got cancelled. Most of the things I love get cancelled:

Veronica Mars, Arrested Development, Party Down, Dead Like Me, Wonderfalls. 

That brilliant 13 epsiode tv show you "Discovered" on netflix? 

Some network fucked up. Viewers fucked up. 

Because safe shows are what make it. Crime drama that isn't too weird, Sitcoms where gender roles are always the same, (Ha! men and women be different!) are what make it. 

And then years later everyone loves The Wire, and Breaking Bad and Arrested and all the fired writers wonder

"Where the fuck were you!? I needed you?"  

"me oh i was watching the big bang theory! Ha! that sheldon..."

Sitcoms where gender roles are always the same, (Ha! men and women be different!) are what make it. 

That is one of my least favorite things. I hate gender stereotypes so much. I was raised to be pretty neutral as far as stuff like that goes and it disgusts me to see how much pop-culture is tainted by it.

That brilliant 13 epsiode tv show you "Discovered" on netflix?

Some network fucked up. Viewers fucked up.

I've learned to not watch shows that I've discovered on Netflix. My girlfriend has felt the horrible pain of falling in love with a show and then learning that it was cancelled. A friend of mine found a fantastic anime, but then learned that in Japan the series is comprised of about 100+ books (that is still an ongoing story) that have never been translated to English so he can never truly find out how the story continues.

Uggghhhh...you are putting me to the test. I guess I'm gonna stick with my argument. I personally think Nickelback is god awful, but if they are getting Grammy award nominations and selling that many records they must be doing something good. 

They must be doing something right. Doesn't have to be good. Important distinction I think. 

I've learned to not watch shows that I've discovered on Netflix. My girlfriend has felt the horrible pain of falling in love with a show and then learning that it was cancelled. A friend of mine found a fantastic anime, but then learned that in Japan the series is comprised of about 100+ books (that is still an ongoing story) that have never been translated to English so he can never truly find out how the story continues.

It's the goddamn worst. I want to fire all the executives. 

Is this where abed is helping someone give birth throughout the entire episode?

ie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tP0ubODOUQ