Big Bang Theory is the WORST

This probably isn't the best clip to convince someone to watch the show, especially if you're not familiar with the characters, but this is my favorite line.

Yeah, i'm definitely not missing anything. I'm just going to stick with Breaking Bad as my TV fix.

I love Joel McHale so I was eager to watch Community. After the first season, nay, the first few episodes, I didn't get it at all. I won't say it's a bad show. BUT, I think I like good shows and I don't like Community so draw your own conclusions.

Big Bang Theory is funny in moments. It's getting better. Not a lot they could do with the first couple years. Adding the other girls (forget their names, one is TV's Blossom) gave the nerdy guys a balance and other people to play off.

Plus, I applied and will eventually get a Ph.D., and there's just not enough sitcoms about those guys.

Just posting in this thread to point out my Community avatar.

I don't think Community is best viewed in short clips, anyway.

Truth. I've never convinced anyone to watch it via Youtube, you just have to dive in, be patient, watch season one and fall in love with it. If you like well-written ensemble comedy a la Arrested Development/Parks & Rec/Party Down you'll like Community. I'd say it's better than any comedy on broadcast television right now. A lot of the critical acclaim and "fan-favorite" stuff is focused on the show's pop-culture fixation, but really, it's not the focus of the show. At most, it's a backdrop for the excellent characters, jokes and stories. My girlfriend watched the first two seasons with me and laughed her head off, and she's never even seen Star Wars!

NBC has done a pretty great job of hiding Community from viewers, though. Mistake #1 is this: 

Is it on Netflix?

NOPE. The Office, Parks & Rec, and 30 Rock are all on Netflix, I have no fucking clue why they don't add the first three seasons of a show they're going to air at least one more season of in the spring. Mistake #2 is putting it up against Big Bang Theory since week 2 of season 1, where, surprisingly, it has struggled to put up numbers running against the top rated show on television. Then there's been all the hiatuses, shortened episode orders, zero marketing... it's Arrested Development all over again.

Big Bang Theory is one of the worst scripted shows I've seen on TV for sure. I know a lot of people claim to like it along with better shows, but if you can appreciate something on the level of AD or Louie or even The Office, I don't know how you can watch BBT and not feel your brain attempting to squeeze out your ear and roll away in search of something less devoid of humor or substance.

I love AD, Parks and Rec, and Louie. So I might dig it.

Also Breaking Bad and to a much lesser extent, Sons of Anarchy.

I only mention all of this because after over a decade of not having TV (I'm not trying to be THAT GUY, but in 1995 I moved to rural Michigan, before the age of high speed internet, in a place where you literally couldn't get anything that wouldn't come over an aerial. By the time technology caught up, I loved on my own in a small city and couldn't afford TV)........there's been a whole shitload of incredible things. I mean, prior to the last decade or so, television was more or less a vast fucking wasteland, occasionally punctuated by something worthwhile like Twin Peaks. And it's still total shit for the most part, but the things that are good are SO good.

I don't think Community is best viewed in short clips, anyway. Then you're missing a lot of what makes it so good, like the genre experimentation and its more emotional moments.

Maybe it isn't for everyone, though. But I adore it.

I'm going to check the show out. I can't judge too much until I have seen more.

I hate big bang theory with a passion, and I think that link (or at least the "We’re laughing at them" part, which I assume is the premise) pretty much explains it.  as a math major in undergrad and now being ~6 months from getting a phd in statistics, I've always despised the nerd stereotype, and this show revolves around it.  oh, and that penny girl hanging out with those guys (much less dating one of them) seems totally unrealistic to me based on my experiences -- not because she's attractive, but because she's attractive AND doesn't seem to have anything really in common with them.

and while people are talking about other shows, I like breaking bad, dexter, and the walking dead.  used to watch 30 rock and parks & rec, but haven't this season (too busy).  never got into community (maybe because I thought it seemed offensive to people who go to community colleges?  I'm not sure, but I just didn't really find it all that funny, sorry), and I think how I met your mother makes no sense.  isn't the main guy telling his kids the story of how he met their mother?  dude, it's been, what, 8 years?  even if you just count the time in the episodes, he's talked for more than 2 1/2 days straight (173 episodes, 22 min/episode).  get to the fucking point.  I will, however, take this opinion back completely if the series finale ends with him having a 3 foot long beard and his kids being skeletons after having starved to death waiting for him to finish the story

and for whatever reason, I really like south park but I get absolutely nothing out of family guy.  wait, that's not true... I like one single scene/line from family guy: during some random flashback/whatever thing, jesus runs into mary and joseph's bedroom and tells joseph "you're not my real dad!"  probably helped that I was watching with my atheist friends :)