Big Bang Theory is the WORST

You know what show is the worst. The walking dead. In ready to be murdered for saying that

I wouldn't say its the worst, but season 2 was something awful.  I'm one of those that reads the comics, and it was rough to watch them pick and choose what to base the show off of.  But the plot line in season 2 was hard to watch at times.  They've been spot on though with Season 3 its really coming into the groove of things.  If you haven't watch any of Season 3 yet, you should.

[The laugh track's] a crutch for modern shows IMO.

i'm reading a book of interviews with humor writers and the co-writer of the office who isn't ricky gervais (evidently i forgot his name) said the same thing. half the challenge of constructing the documentary-style sitcom was playing off the moments where there are severely awkward silences and having to script parts where simply their expressions say much more than words would. granted the office is a different breed of comedy from big bang all together but it's hard to argue for a show that can't stand on its own without a laugh track. seinfeld had a laugh track but it's also an utterly brilliant show whereas i'd say big bang is pretty run-of-the-mill. has its moments but is otherwise nothing special.

i can't get into community at all but there's a pretty big following for it. i don't watch a whole lot of tv to begin with, though. also, shinfo: parks and rec is shooting in my hometown today.

Seinfeld had a live audience.

I really think you could put television, particularly sitcoms, into two broad classes. One is mind numbing background noise shit people can have on in the house while they do everything else they need to at the end of a day. These are the shows that you can miss some parts, or miss an episode, and still follow the painfully obvious jokes. The kind of thing you can just hear snatches of and chuckle while you do dishes.

The other are the shows really worth following and digging into, like AD. The shows people will DVR and actually sit down and watch and think about.

I watched some if season 1 and just couldn't get into it and by what you're saying I shouldn't bother with 2. Maybe I'll just skip over

season 2 of the walking dead seemed like they knew where they wanted to end (the prison) and then took their sweet time getting there.  the last half of the season is good, but the beginning is pretty slow

Seinfeld had a live audience.

I really think you could put television, particularly sitcoms, into two broad classes. One is mind numbing background noise shit people can have on in the house while they do everything else they need to at the end of a day. These are the shows that you can miss some parts, or miss an episode, and still follow the painfully obvious jokes. The kind of thing you can just hear snatches of and chuckle while you do dishes.

The other are the shows really worth following and digging into, like AD. The shows people will DVR and actually sit down and watch and think about.

It is like shows I watch with my parents and shows I watch by myself.

Parks and Rec's first season was so bad, and it kind of fit into the former type. I'm so glad I stuck it out, it's totally worthwhile.

Same with The Office season one, plus it was a blatant copy of the british show.  It infuriated me, but now I think its funny.  It's also gotten funnier since Steve Carrell left.

I fully enjoyed The Office up until season 7. There were a few slumps, in there, but quality television overall. Carell leaving was the perfect series finale, but NBC saw a few more eggs in the golden goose, so they've kept it in a cage and poked it for the last two seasons, where it has struggled to perform in the ratings while fumbling stabs at making a last attempt to recapture some of the magic of the early seasons. Secretary and new guy as the new Jim and Pam? Andy as the new Michael? http://www.theawl.com/2009/12/meghan-keane-the-office-is-the-most-depressing-show-on-television'>Jim's inevitable descent into a depressing human being? Booooooorrrrrinnnnnggg.

My girlfriend has felt the horrible pain of falling in love with a show and then learning that it was cancelled. 

biggest bummer-cancel ever: my wife and I started watching Carnival (a pre-Lost, Lost-esque HBO series about a traveling Carnival in the 30s) knowing full well it was canceled after season 2.

we knew it was canceled when we started watching it.

we were prepared.

we weren't prepared.

I loved Carnivale. That show was awesome and ended in a very WTF way.

I still hold it's one of the best shows I've ever seen.

They took the generic theme of "good versus evil" and made it important.

two seasons of build up, into one epic "finale."

secondary characters I cared about.

I read that they were doing each episode for 1 million per, and that they couldn't come to an agreement with HBO because the Carnivale guys wouldn't budge.

They shot everything on location.

They went to the extent of actually finding absinthe from the 30s for Lodes to have in the background of his trailer... a background item in a 2 minute scene...

I fully enjoyed The Office up until season 7. There were a few slumps, in there, but quality television overall. Carell leaving was the perfect series finale, but NBC saw a few more eggs in the golden goose, so they've kept it in a cage and poked it for the last two seasons, where it has struggled to perform in the ratings while fumbling stabs at making a last attempt to recapture some of the magic of the early seasons. Secretary and new guy as the new Jim and Pam? Andy as the new Michael? Jim's inevitable descent into a depressing human being? Booooooorrrrrinnnnnggg.

The one episode from later seasons that is amazing is the southern murder mystery. that had me in stitches. 

• 1 month later...