The Official Horror Thread

Rip

47 minutes ago, Rip said:

Oh yeah I forgot to mention a couple weeks ago we watched No One Will Save You on Hulu.  I really enjoyed it.

I liked it too. Thought it was a little too committed to the bit, which made it feel unrealistic at times (especially when she gets to town), but as an exercise was very effective. 

Also recently watched Knock at the Cabin (liked it),  M3GAN (pretty fun!) and Skinamarink (I guess it was good but just not for me). On my list for the month so far are Rosemary’s Baby, Amulet, Evil Dead Rise, In the Earth, and Malignant.

On 10/3/2023 at 8:31 AM, Rip said:

Oh yeah I forgot to mention a couple weeks ago we watched No One Will Save You on Hulu.  I really enjoyed it.

I watched it last weekend.  It kind of fell apart for me towards the end, but I thought it was a fun enough way to spend a Saturday night!

On 10/3/2023 at 10:31 AM, Rip said:

Yeah, we had a good time with that one too.  I like how the aliens were kind of goofy and then the alien-on-the-roof shows up and both my wife and I were both like "nope. nope,nope,nope" great designs on some of them.

We want and caught a 10PM of When Evil Lurks last night (follow up from Demián Rugna who of course did Terrified) - not as scary as Terrified but easily twice as brutal.  Just an amazing and devastating watch, definitely catch it on the big screen if you can.

1 hour ago, iwokeinrelief said:

We want and caught a 10PM of When Evil Lurks last night (follow up from Demián Rugna who of course did Terrified) - not as scary as Terrified but easily twice as brutal.  Just an amazing and devastating watch, definitely catch it on the big screen if you can.

We definitely plan on watching this this coming weekend on Shudder.  Can’t wait.  Loved Terrified.

This past weekend we watched Talk To Me on Friday.  Which was absolutely incredible and worthy of all the hype.

The Boogeyman on Saturday.  Which was also really great.  Better than I could have hoped for.  Monster designs was also really cool.

Totally Killer on Sunday.  That one was a lot of fun.  Besides some really cringey dialogue in some parts, it’s definitely worth checking out

I’m so excited for The Fall of the House of Usher this week.  So we’ll be watching that throughout the weekend as well

Yeah, I went and caught a late-night showing of Talk to Me in the theater and really enjoyed it - then I rented it with my wife this past Sunday night and it was great on the re-watch as well.

I'm also very excited for The Fall of the House of Usher, we'll be checking it out this weekend as well!

2 hours ago, Rip said:

Totally Killer on Sunday.  That one was a lot of fun.  Besides some really cringey dialogue in some parts, it’s definitely worth checking out

I thought this was super fun too!  Reminded me of the Happy Death Day movies (in a good way).

I watched the new Pet Semetary movie Sunday night and it's real bad.

2 hours ago, radiatorhums said:

I thought this was super fun too!  Reminded me of the Happy Death Day movies (in a good way).

Eh, I was getting more of The Final Girl vibes from it.  And funny enough, apparently it’s gotten some backlash for how “similar” it is.  Even though I personally don’t think they’re that similar.

1 hour ago, radiatorhums said:

Oh yeah, Final Girls is a good comparison too.  I'd kind of forgotten about that one!

Unfortunately I forget a decent amount of it, but I do remember liking it.  Big difference in that movie is that they enter the movie that the girls mom starred in back in the 80’s or whatever and Totally Killer is the girl legit travels back in time.  Similar in a way, but not quite lol

On 10/10/2023 at 6:45 AM, iwokeinrelief said:

Yeah, we had a good time with that one too.  I like how the aliens were kind of goofy and then the alien-on-the-roof shows up and both my wife and I were both like "nope. nope,nope,nope" great designs on some of them.

Watched When Evil Lurks yesterday. Had never heard of it and didn’t know what to expect. Looked up movie times to catch something, saw that it was horror, and went for it without watching the trailer or anything. 
the movie was freaking great! Really intense in some scenes and great story. Love how it ended too

16 hours ago, hxcoliver said:

Watched When Evil Lurks yesterday. Had never heard of it and didn’t know what to expect. Looked up movie times to catch something, saw that it was horror, and went for it without watching the trailer or anything. 
the movie was freaking great! Really intense in some scenes and great story. Love how it ended too

If you haven’t, give his first one - Terrified - a try. It’s also really really good. He’s stupid talented.

Just watched Haunt. Damn! I'm glad I didn't see that before I went to this scary ass haunt a couple years ago. There were very similar details in this movie that were also at this haunt. I was a little stoned when we went, but we were genuinely scared shitless during parts of it. That was a good scary movie.

Finished The Fall of the House of Usher last night.

It was good. I'd put it above Midnight Club and Bly Manor but below Hill House and Midnight Mass.

Generally good acting and I liked how each episode focused on one of the kids which gave it a bit of an anthology feel. The eight episode length was just right for pacing.

What did you guys think of it?

I'm planning to start on the new season of Creepshow tonight.

5 hours ago, Subdomestic said:

Finished The Fall of the House of Usher last night.

It was good. I'd put it above Midnight Club and Bly Manor but below Hill House and Midnight Mass.

Generally good acting and I liked how each episode focused on one of the kids which gave it a bit of an anthology feel. The eight episode length was just right for pacing.

What did you guys think of it?

I'm planning to start on the new season of Creepshow tonight.

I also really enjoyed it.  My only issue is that it felt like his most “shallow” show so far.  All his other stuff seems to have more depth to it in terms of meaning whether it’s family, religions, etc.  this one mainly felt just like “rich people bad and they should die.”  Which I know there’s more to it than that, but I felt it leaned more towards that than anything.

But yeah, acting and music was top notch.  Also big fan of the visuals as well, he’s always great with that.  I’m sad it’s his last Netflix show but hopefully his great track record continues with Amazon

Only other horror we got to this past weekend was Cobweb, which was fine.  Not super memorable unfortunately but there were some cool moments.

Might sneak in a few more, but here’s what I watched this holiday season: Rosemary’s Baby, Host, His House, They Live, The Exorcist, Poltergeist, Candy Land, Coming Home in the Dark, Lamb, Watcher, and Scream VI. Really liked Host and His House and liked Scream VI more than I expected. 

Spent the weekend binging Midnight Mass. I know it's supposed to be horror or at least horror-adjacent, but I mostly found it beautiful & sad, which is about the same experience as I got with Hill House. I think I prefer Mike Flanagan's brand of horror to more jump-scares or gorefest type. 

24 minutes ago, thebilljim said:

Spent the weekend binging Midnight Mass. I know it's supposed to be horror or at least horror-adjacent, but I mostly found it beautiful & sad, which is about the same experience as I got with Hill House. I think I prefer Mike Flanagan's brand of horror to more jump-scares or gorefest type. 

I’m very jealous.  I wish I could go back and watch Midnight Mass for the first time again.  It’s honestly one of the greatest shows I’ve ever seen.  Maybe it resonated with me so much because I grew up with a lot of Catholic beliefs forced upon me and now I’m not religious at all or what, but I was blown away with pretty much every episode.

• Rip changed the title to The Official Horror Thread