US labels/distros/bands - my notes on new US postal rates

this was posted by:morfiend really useful for the updated US prices

Yeah, these rates are brutal. I've already updated my shop with the changes, the bigger problem is updating every ebay listing manually. Here is a shipping calcuator that's been a great tool for me -

http://brittanysbest.com/2013/01/usps-shipping-calculator-for-2013/

-----

posted this over on B9/DF figured I'd post it here also since it could be of use for a few people.

-

not sure if this might help anyone who has the misfortunes of needing to adjust their shipping rates manually, but went ahead and parsed through some of the old prices and new prices to show the new rates -- might help others out there a little who set up prices by type of item instead of weight.

I tried to do most of the areas/weights I could think of that would be relevant for us.

any price listed will be in the format of: new price (+increase from old price) so if the old rate for a 1lb package was $5 to ship and the new rate is $5.30 it would say 5.30 (+.30) 1 lb package

it is a damn shame limitedrun doesn't have a shipping module for shipping by weight. I'd rather deal with adjusting that than the way its setup now (the only thing I hate about it)--if you run a store there drop the developers a line to incorporate it!

anyway short recap: media mail and first class domestic mail change is minimal, flat rate mailers took a decent jump, but the big price increases are for international

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

media mail:

2.53 (+.06) - under 1 lb

2.98 (+.10) - under 2 lbs

3.43 (+.12) - under 3 lbs

4.33 (+.18) - under 5 lbs

6.52 (+.07) - under 10 lbs

first class mail (packages)

any size 1-13oz (+.12 increase)

2.07-3.77 (1.95-3.65 before)

priority flat rate evelopes:

5.60 (+.45) (regular sized)

5.75 (+.45) (legal sized)

5.90 (+.60) (padded)

any of the above shipped international:

19.95 (+7.00) - Canada

23.95 (+7.00) - anywhere else

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

priority mail non-flat rate

NC to NC (zone 1)

5.60 (+.40) under 1 llb

5.80 (+.50) under 2 lbs

6.60 (+.55) under 3 lbs

8.85 (+.75) under 5 lbs

12.65 (+.90) under 10 lbs

NC to GA (zone 3) 30301

5.70 (+.45) under 1 lb

6.15 (+.50) under 2 lbs

7.60 (+.65) under 3 lbs

10.20 (+.80) under 5 lbs

15.40 (+1.25) under 10 lbs

NC to AL (zone 4) 36601

5.85 (+.50) under 1 lb

6.85 (+.55) under 2 lbs

8.75 (+.70) under 3 lbs

11.50 (+.95) under 5 lbs

18.38 (+1.53) under 10 lbs

NC to TX (zone 6) 73301

6.20 (+.55) under 1 lb

9.50 (+.75) under 2 lbs

12.00 (+1.05) under 3 lbs

17.55 (+1.50) under 5 lbs

28.15 (+2.45) under 10 lbs

NC to CA (zone 8) 90210

6.95 (+.65) under 1 lb

11.25 (+.85) under 2 lbs

15.25 (+1.40) under 3 lbs

21.20 (+1.95) under 5 lbs

36.50 (+3.30) under 10 lbs

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

first class international

group 1 (canada)

8.55 (+4.65) - up to 8 oz

9.15 (+4.25) - up to 12

10.55 (+4.80) - up to 1 lb

11.95 (+5.35) - up to 1 lb 4 oz

13.35 (+5.90) - up to 1 lb 8 oz

14.75 (+6.45) - up to 1 lb 12 oz

16.15 (+7.00) - up to 2 lb

17.55 (+7.55) - up to 2 lb 4 oz

18.95 (+8.10) - up to 2 lb 8 oz

20.35 (+8.65) - up to 2 lb 12 oz

21.75 (+9.20) - up to 3 lb

27.35 (+11.40)- up to 4 lbs

group 3, 4, 5 (Eastern Asia, Europe, and Australia)

12.75 (+4.29) - up to 8 oz

14.90 (+4.87) - up to 12

16.75 (+5.15) - up to 1 lb

18.60 (+5.43) - up to 1 lb 4 oz

20.45 (+5.71) - up to 1 lb 8 oz

22.30 (+5.99) - up to 1 lb 12 oz

24.15 (+6.26) - up to 2 lb

26.00 (+6.55) - up to 2 lb 4 oz

27.85 (+6.83) - up to 2 lb 8 oz

29.75 (+7.16) - up to 2 lb 12 oz

31.55 (+7.39) - up to 3 lb

38.95 (+8.51) - up to 4 lb

anyway hope this might help some people

It does suck, but yes... If you order a single record from overseas, you are going to get nailed. Of course, you were already, but now it is more severe. Canada is a huge jump for one LP and I have no clue why. Really, what held true before still does: if you are ordering from overseas, you should order several records at a time... Or get together with friends and order together.

Another possibility is that overseas local distros and stores will see a bump as they will be ordering larger boxes and will be able to offer better prices in their home towns, comparatively. That sounds good to me too.

Looks like I'll need to be emailing distros I pre-order from regularly, and ask if they can hold on to what I order until there's 3-4 records at a time.

It's already extremely expensive for overseas buyers, and I really hope distros and labels will help us to play ball

I am sure that most mailorder places will be cool with helping you, especially if you are a regular and have gotten to know the actual humans who are gathering your orders together. That is how we work and I'm sure many labels and distros are similar. For us, just put in the comments section that you want the records set aside for combining with a later order. As long as you are paying as you go, there should not be a problem. That said, with No Idea you should also write to Matt or Geis to clarify what you want to happen.

F.Y.I.: Matt is madly working to get the last few overseas orders shipped in the next two hours before the post office closes.

When exactly do these changes go into effect?

in all reality they already have.  rates go up on the 27th which is sunday

It does suck, but yes... If you order a single record from overseas, you are going to get nailed. Of course, you were already, but now it is more severe. Canada is a huge jump for one LP and I have no clue why. Really, what held true before still does: if you are ordering from overseas, you should order several records at a time... Or get together with friends and order together.

Another possibility is that overseas local distros and stores will see a bump as they will be ordering larger boxes and will be able to offer better prices in their home towns, comparatively. That sounds good to me too.

this.   most of the fleecing for shipping cost is on smaller orders... if you are planning on ordering a single shirt or a single record from the US overseas...you pay for it.   if you are ordering a 10-15 lb box worth of stuff, the price is pretty minimal when broken down across multiple records.   really not as bad as I thought it would be in that regard -- but friends throwing in together for orders and labels/distros combining orders from labels (which in all reality should have been already happening/does happen as it was already a better/more efficient way of doing things.)

its not much different than printing up items.  printing 500 record covers vs printing 1000       a lot of the cost is frontloaded and in the process itself

Yeah, these rates are brutal. I've already updated my shop with the changes, the bigger problem is updating every ebay listing manually. Here is a shipping calcuator that's been a great tool for me -

http://brittanysbest.com/2013/01/usps-shipping-calculator-for-2013/

man....if only I had found this before I stayed up last night hahaha

edit: whoops actually nevermind just US shipping rates on it... either way useful! added this to my first post

its not as bad as the canadian rates but it gets very close.

ordering more than one records at a time will just result in the packages getting most likely held up by the customs office where we (in germany) have to pay an extra 19% on the total amount (records+shipping). so saving money that way wont work :/

Probably not the end of buying from overseas for me, but i'll definitly cut it down to the most 'important'-ones. At least this will save me a lot of money! Otherwise: This sucks really HARD!

I agree. Definitely will be cutting down. Shipping was already crazy from some stores already.

so they are replacing the cheapest international method 'first-class mail international' with 'First-Class Package International Service'(FCPIS).. aka they want to hike the price so why not change the name? stupid.

i'm assuming we can still add registered mail to the new FCPIS service since it was previously available for the old service?  

I know that off the bat they will include tracking for free for Canada(only), but for other countries i want to add registered mail to get delivery confirmation (previously cost like $12 to add registered mail to a first class intl package).  I hope we can still add registered mail service to the new FCPIS

NPR even aired a piece on the postal rate increase and how it effects independent record labels:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/therecord/2013/01/29/170498909/rising-postal-rates-squeeze-small-record-labels

Nice. Thanks for sharing. I'm glad the Canada Post rates are going down.