the 'have you been scammed on craigslist' thread.

I have very limited experience with craigslist. I threw my canon vixia up on there and ebay hoping to get a bite. some guy texted me first thing this morning saying he wanted it. For his son. He says he can’t come look at it. He just wants me to ship it to his son, and he is going to pay me via paypal OR western union. Does this sound legit? Why would the guy drop 1000 bucks on a camera he hasn’t seen in person/tested out. Should I take extra precautions when mailing this out? like take photos of it or something, as proof? Am I just being paranoid?

Sorry if something like this has been answered before. You guys are the only group of people I know that are constantly buying/selling things online.

EDIT: changed the name of the thread accordingly. share your craigslist stories.

First thing if someone offers money via Western Union just say no. I find Craigslist to be a headache. Out of 5 things I tried to sell on Craigslist I successfully sold 1. A Crosley turntable believe it or not, and that was the worst of the 5 items I put up. I tried selling a few other things and yeah there some weird scammers that "want the item right away." That happened to me once. A dude said consider the bass amp sold and never contacted me again. Not sure if this helps.

EDIT: I find it to be a headache as a seller. I found both my apartments on Craigslist. For better or worse.

If you're worried I wouldn't take Paypal, to easy for him to dispute and get back his money and keep your camera.

For an amount that large I'd probably ask for a cashiers check or money order than can be negotiated and verified prior to you shipping out your item.

I'd also make sure that when shipped tracking info and insurance are both paid for so there is still some recourse if a dispute arises.

edit: Also, I have had success both buying and selling items on Craigslist. For every 3 or 4 scammers you'll end up with one legit buyer.

I'm always leery of anything sold or bought over Craigslist.

I have sold concert tix before for face value cuz I couldn't go to the show last minute and have met up with the buyer at a public place and they paid with cash. Worked out well so far. The one and only time I bought tix via Craiglist, I met up with the seller at his workplace (hair salon) and it was all legit.

But yeah, I'd follow the advice of always dealing locally and never mailing anything out and/or getting paid via Paypal or Western Union or anything like that.

In your case Madie, I'd say keep the camera sale on eBay.