Overrated/Overhyped bands and or artist

i think this is bullshit.

if no one ever called out my taste in music or the shittiness of some of the bands on my ipod, id still be listening to senses fail and jack johnson.

people need to grow a pair and learn to listen to some real criticism. otherwise, the ability to listen subjectively and objectively will suffer severely.

On the flipside, would you have been happy listening to Jack Johnson and Senses Fail if no one shit on your parade?

EDIT:  Not to say I disagree with you, there are just counterbalances to counterbalances.  You have a right to say you like a band because of X reason, I have I right to say I think that's a dumb reason, you have a right to not give a shit and still like them.

The dude who started this thread was born in 1997 I clearly remember most of 1997 like what the fuck

It's okay guy, in 3 years or so you won't have to go to high school anymore and you won't have to listen to dumb people talk about terrible music anymore and you can find cool people who like good music.

On the flipside, would you have been happy listening to Jack Johnson and Senses Fail if no one shit on your parade?

no. and i'm grateful that people opened my eyes for me.

Man, I should have stayed out of this thread from the beginning. I hate it so much already.

still <3 you rybread.

no hate, darlin! just trying to have conversation is all  :D

no hate, darlin! just trying to have conversation is all  :D

I will continue the conversation with you, Ry.

"You're doing it wrong" doesn't apply to music. Some old head, listening to classical music is going to look at you and your Brand New obsession, and think you're a fucking idiot and you listen to that punk rock. But to you Brand New is the shit, and its hard to believe anybody would think that. So you trying to convince people that Thrice sucks is really non of your business. Of course its cool to say, "I hate this band and this is why." but to tell somebody their musical tastes is bad, is kind of a dick move. Am I making sense? Think I'm confusing myself.

"You're doing it wrong" doesn't apply to music. Some old head, listening to classical music is going to look at you and your Brand New obsession, and think you're a fucking idiot and you listen to that punk rock. But to you Brand New is the shit, and its hard to believe anybody would think that. So you trying to convince people that Thrice sucks is really non of your business. Of course its cool to say, "I hate this band and this is why." but to tell somebody their musical tastes is bad, is kind of a dick move. Am I making sense? Think I'm confusing myself.

i get it. i really do.

but when i do speak up, and i throw out my opinions, maybe it sticks with someone. that person suddenly doesn't take X band so seriously, and that's a catalyst of them discovering some new music.

i know that my voice is never going to end a band's popularity. but i'm stoned, and i can't really articulate beyond that.

maybe it's that i wish people would discuss the music they're listening to more than what color it's going to be on.

I agree with both of you. My tastes work in cycles, so I never really can conclude if something "sucks" unless the band is complete talentless turd, but I try to stay objective because I might come around eventually. However, a lot of people have musical tunnel vision and don't give anything outside of their world a shot.

In a single day I can listen to Parkway Drive, Otis Redding, Adele, Joseph Haydn, The Wonder Years, Kendrick Lamar, and Elton John. Some people would laugh at that, so there is definitely value in spreading your musical wings. 

Does anyone still go to record stores and buys something they've never heard of or is everything entirely fastest finger paypaling?

I hope not.

i get it. i really do.

but when i do speak up, and i throw out my opinions, maybe it sticks with someone. that person suddenly doesn't take X band so seriously, and that's a catalyst of them discovering some new music.

i know that my voice is never going to end a band's popularity. but i'm stoned, and i can't really articulate beyond that.

maybe it's that i wish people would discuss the music they're listening to more than what color it's going to be on.

I'm stoned too, most of the time actually, so high five to that.

Well, when I first starting posting here I would try and spark conversation about the music. I really didn't understand the whole variant thing and the craze. I got no where, and gave up on it. I understand where you're coming from with that. And I think I'm done with this conversation too. It was cool for a little bit, but now I don't care. :)

I agree with both of you. My tastes work in cycles, so I never really can conclude if something "sucks" unless the band is complete talentless turd, but I try to stay objective because I might come around eventually. However, a lot of people have musical tunnel vision and don't give anything outside of their world a shot.

In a single day I can listen to Parkway Drive, Otis Redding, Adele, Joseph Haydn, The Wonder Years, Kendrick Lamar, and Elton John. Some people would laugh at that, so there is definitely value in spreading your musical wings. 

Does anyone still go to record stores and buys something they've never heard of or is everything entirely fastest finger paypaling?

I hope not.

I just picked up a random 7". It was from Vitriol Records, which I'm a fan of. Never heard of the band though. Forming - S/T and I absolutely love it, i spun it so much. I havent done that in a while, I need to do it more. I used to do that with cd's back in the day.

I hope not.

THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS is exactly what i mean!!!

my album listens today: robbie dupree, hall & oates, van morrison, my morning jacket, shone, wes montgomery, nicolette larson, modest mouse, brand new, michael jackson. 

and in the last couple hours: four year strong, circa survive, and now beach fossils.

I just picked up a random 7". It was from Vitriol Records, which I'm a fan of. Never heard of the band though. Forming - S/T and I absolutely love it, i spun it so much. I havent done that in a while, I need to do it more. I used to do that with cd's back in the day.

To me it's just good old fashioned fun. It would be a refreshing thread on this board actually....having us grab record store finds that you aren't familiar with and sharing your thoughts on the tunes with the cover image.