The COMMUNITY Thread

best episode of the season eh.  really can't get any worse so i guess it would have to be.

haven't seen it yet so hopefully you guys are right.

It was a good episode. Best of the season. Even though I said that last week also, this one's better.

Joel especially nailed his part. His story had the proper amount of emotional payoff that I don't think the show quite earned in the Halloween episode.

Only thing is the Workaholics guy's character was a little much for me. I think they could have made a helplessly dependent man-child without making him...THAT. I liked the scenes back at Shirley's too. Especially how Abed was rolling with the punches in his "Shawshank" story and changed it up to "Prison Break" instead of trying to force the narrative.

And that line at the end where he says "Maybe the hardest prisons to break out of are the ones with no bars.........wait that doesn't make any sense" or whatever the line was. I loved that line because in that little pause I was thinking how faux-philosophical that sounds, and the show knows that and called itself out on it.

• 2 months later...

Admittedly this season wasn't the best, but I still enjoyed it and will still be crushed if this really does end up being the last we see of it.

I disagree, they went from a meta show that didn't fall into any sitcom tropes to doing nothing but sitcom tropes. It went from a unique show to run of the mill, and if it gets cancelled I honestly won't be up set. This is like Scrubs season 9 all over again.

It'll definitely be a lot better than this one. I'm hoping it's a pretty long episode order since the 13 episodes didn't do the writers any favors to wrap up everything the first 3 seasons were building to.

Now that Jeff graduated that can write the show they want to write, which, while it won't be as good as Dan's, they can take it wherever they want.

Praying that they realize people don't just want hollow callback after hollow callback.

This season blew ass. In the whole first 3 seasons, I can only think of 2 memorably weak episodes: Abed-as-Jesus and Model UN. But I would rank those 2 over any of season 4's episodes. Last week's origin story episode was the biggest wank fest ever, even for a show that's always been up its own ass a little bit. The entire episode seemed to be constructed to jerk off the segment of the Community fanbase that edits their own shipper videos set to Snow Patrol songs and makes [shudder] fan art. "Yeah, congratulations on remembering details alluded to in season one, look we actually filmed them for you so it's easier to make gif sequences for your Tumblr". And then they casually create massive continuity issues like Troy breaking his leg instead of his shoulders, and a dollar theater showing Phantom Menace in 2008. Nothing was improved by making these old stories come to life and stringing together some fabricated connections, they would have been better off left to the imagination. It's fitting that there's a Phantom Menace storyline, because I got the exact same feeling watching that episode as I did watching the Star Wars prequels.

Don't even get me started on the finale, where they simultaneously beat the Darkest Timeline shtick to death and dig up the cold body of paintball only to hump its corpse a bit. It's a perfect encapsulation of just how badly the new writing staff doesn't get why people like the show. They've tried so hard to reference every popular thing from past seasons (Darkest Timeline! An Inspector Spacetime convention! The Dean just cross-dresses all the time now! Bring back the German foosball players!) but missed the fact that the show was great because (at least at the beginning) it was about exploring interpersonal relationships and the human condition, through 7 super fucked-up characters, the most normal of which is a socially underdeveloped pop culture obsessive with Aspergers.

Of course, Chevy Chase's unwillingness to cooperate and eventual quitting hasn't helped, and the resulting lazy and awkward write-outs and write-arounds have been a massive distraction this year.

All I know is that I'm done. This show doesn't interest me anymore, the characters have been sucked dry and I'm completely uninterested in the direction the show is going. Season 5 might be better, it might be worse, but the magic of the earlier seasons is gone and it's just another sitcom.

This season blew ass. In the whole first 3 seasons, I can only think of 2 memorably weak episodes: Abed-as-Jesus and Model UN. But I would rank those 2 over any of season 4's episodes. Last week's origin story episode was the biggest wank fest ever, even for a show that's always been up its own ass a little bit. The entire episode seemed to be constructed to jerk off the segment of the Community fanbase that edits their own shipper videos set to Snow Patrol songs and makes [shudder] fan art. "Yeah, congratulations on remembering details alluded to in season one, look we actually filmed them for you so it's easier to make gif sequences for your Tumblr". And then they casually create massive continuity issues like Troy breaking his leg instead of his shoulders, and a dollar theater showing Phantom Menace in 2008. Nothing was improved by making these old stories come to life and stringing together some fabricated connections, they would have been better off left to the imagination. It's fitting that there's a Phantom Menace storyline, because I got the exact same feeling watching that episode as I did watching the Star Wars prequels.

Don't even get me started on the finale, where they simultaneously beat the Darkest Timeline shtick to death and dig up the cold body of paintball only to hump its corpse a bit. It's a perfect encapsulation of just how badly the new writing staff doesn't get why people like the show. They've tried so hard to reference every popular thing from past seasons (Darkest Timeline! An Inspector Spacetime convention! The Dean just cross-dresses all the time now! Bring back the German foosball players!) but missed the fact that the show was great because (at least at the beginning) it was about exploring interpersonal relationships and the human condition, through 7 super fucked-up characters, the most normal of which is a socially underdeveloped pop culture obsessive with Aspergers.

Of course, Chevy Chase's unwillingness to cooperate and eventual quitting hasn't helped, and the resulting lazy and awkward write-outs and write-arounds have been a massive distraction this year.

All I know is that I'm done. This show doesn't interest me anymore, the characters have been sucked dry and I'm completely uninterested in the direction the show is going. Season 5 might be better, it might be worse, but the magic of the earlier seasons is gone and it's just another sitcom.

I agree with everything you said. I will still probably attempt to watch season 5 though. Shit, I watched all of Weeds so I don't have good taste.

Up until the end of season 3 this show was one of my absolute favorites. By the time season 4's finale was here, I was ashamed that I even expected better of it. There have been episodes that have been heartwarming as well as hilarious over the years. Now it just seems like a huge mess (like God spilled a TV show.) Congrats on the Season 5 renewal. Hoping the show gets back to being great.

• 3 weeks later...